• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I hate the suns

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanking hopefuls do not be alarmed! If they beat the Spurs coming up here there might be room to worry...

I hate the idea of tanking too. I'm glad the team is giving the effort they are. They have heard from so many places that it would almost be okay for them to take plays off and we aren't seeing that (yet).

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanking hopefuls do not be alarmed! If they beat the Spurs coming up here there might be room to worry...

I hate the idea of tanking too. I'm glad the team is giving the effort they are. They have heard from so many places that it would almost be okay for them to take plays off and we aren't seeing that (yet).

Agreed. The best place to be is in the 2-5 range. It seems like the team with the worst record never wins the lottery anyways.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They're not going to tank, that was never the game plan. The Suns want to develop the talent at hand under Hornacek's tutelage, but the nature of the roster will almost assuredly ensure a lottery pick, with a good shot at a pick in the top eight, perhaps much higher. If Phoenix wanted to go all-out for the top pick, the Suns could trade Dragic, but remember that the worst record provides no guarantee of garnering the top selection. Thus Phoenix is probably better off keeping the guards together, continuing to build through the draft, and then seizing the moment when the right front-court free agent becomes available. An important question to examine this season is whether or not Alex Len seems credible as the Suns' center of the future.

Phoenix will play hard and attempt to win games, but with center such a question mark and the 'wings' possessing little offensive ability outside of shooting threes, there is still a good chance that the Suns could finish with one of the NBA's three worst records. In that case, Phoenix would enjoy a reasonable draw in the Wiggins sweepstakes, while also cultivating and learning a lot about the players with talent and upside currently on the roster. That scenario would be the ideal one for the Suns, and it remains highly plausible.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better off if we are going to trade Dragic to trade him during the draft and try to get a pick or move up or something.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to add that in the current free agent era, tanking is impossible if you're not benching your best players because guys are constantly playing for new contracts and better opportunities. Even if the franchise doesn't want to succeed, individual players want to play well in order to inflate their commodity leverage and market value. (Make no mistake, Eric Bledsoe wants that max contract.)

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better off if we are going to trade Dragic to trade him during the draft and try to get a pick or move up or something.

Yeah, that's a point of consideration; Dragic could be worth a lottery pick to some team next June.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could do what the warriors did and tank after the all star break. I'm still skeptical on the Dragic/Bledsoe back court as it seems to work on the fast break but it doesn't work in our half court offense. Tucker is a glue guy that keeps everything together he would be a good trade piece to tank. Or trade Gerald Green and force Archie to come off the bench first. We need to play the rookies more and try and trade a player that isn't to good but will help us tank. Tucker is a good all around role player that could be traded for nothing and help us tank. Forcing Archie to play more minutes along with Len will have the rookies develop while we get a good draft pick.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanking is more of a philosophy than it is actually losing every game. You try to stay competitive in as many games as possible but eventually your team is just not on the same level as your opponent. That is when you concede the defeat and put yourself in a better position to fight "tomorrow." Of course I don't want the suns to lose every game, that would make for a long, boring season, but I also don't want to be stuck in no mans land for the next decade. We currently have a core group of guys that are on the fringe. Lots of "young talent" with little results to show for it. Why wouldn't it be smart to take away some of the maximum effort in an attempt to secure a player that could make this core group of guys role players. It is really the only means that a mid market team like the suns have at building a championship team.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanking is more of a philosophy than it is actually losing every game. You try to stay competitive in as many games as possible but eventually your team is just not on the same level as your opponent. That is when you concede the defeat and put yourself in a better position to fight "tomorrow." Of course I don't want the suns to lose every game, that would make for a long, boring season, but I also don't want to be stuck in no mans land for the next decade. We currently have a core group of guys that are on the fringe. Lots of "young talent" with little results to show for it. Why wouldn't it be smart to take away some of the maximum effort in an attempt to secure a player that could make this core group of guys role players. It is really the only means that a mid market team like the suns have at building a championship team.

Outside of the guards, Bledsoe and Dragic, I don't think that there's much notable young talent on the roster. The rest of the players are fairly interchangeable and aren't going to make a major difference one way or the other; for instance, you swap one Morris twin for the other, and your results are basically going to be the same.

I concur with your basic point, but I think that it's more applicable to more of a veteran team where, after a certain point in most games that you're unlikely to win, you bench the veterans and play the young players, thus developing talent while also ensuring a superior lottery position. But in the Suns' case, the team jettisoned almost all of the veterans prior to the season, leaving them with little except fairly interchangeable young players. And even in the case of the really talented younger players, namely Bledsoe and Dragic (the latter isn't that young, but he's in just his second full season as a starter), Phoenix needs to play them extensively in order to see how well they mesh and whether Bledsoe is worthy of the type of contract that he'll likely receive next summer. Plus, to be a better team moving forward, Bledsoe needs to gain greater experience as a starting guard carrying a club, and as a playmaker.

Last edited by a moderator:

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bledsoes ability to get to the line, and get steals, and how he excels in transition to me he has a chance not only be a star but a superstar.

In order for the Dragic/Bledsoe back court to work we need Dragic to start hitting 3s. Hes a good mid range shooter but what happened to that 3pt shot when he was in Phoenix or even Houston.

I think Archie is going to be a very good player hes still very raw, but he has shown me he has the ability to slash and get to the basket. No only with the ball, but some of his cuts like in the pre season game were very good. Hes a natural scorer. Just is so so raw. And is so young.

Plumlee I think is going to be a solid center, perfect center for the suns run n gun system. We dont really need a center in the run n gun system but Plumlee has a chance to be a great rim protector and is a great athlete. Also has a nice hook shot and can develop a jumper.