• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I don't really get what people wanted

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the Big Dick Nick train come hell or high water. We brought him in because Mitch sucks. Period. Don't f*cking gimme this 16 million dollar backup "because camp competition" sh*t. Let's see if the team can win with a serviceable QB, as ol' richi claims. I have my doubts, but gimme that glimmer of hope with Foles. No more "Touchdowns are miracles" Trubisky games. I don't care what happens in practice/camp. I want the proven player. We deserve that as fans while the D is still stout.
It has to be a competition, pretty much. You're not going to just put Mitch on the bench automatically after giving him a vote of confidence and investing so much into him. You're also not going to hand him the starting job because his play so far doesn't deserve it.

Simply put, if Foles is the superior QB then he'll beat Mitch out, no problem. If Mitch suddenly made some big strides though and looks like the superior QB in camp, why would you purposely put the inferior QB in there just because his name isn't Trubisky? If Mitch wins the job, Foles is still on the roster and still is a guy who won a superbowl MVP after having entered the season as a backup.

Any way you slice it, we're in a much better position at the QB spot than we were last year. That's all you can ask for right now.

Not that i wouldn't want Brady or Rivers over Foles, but it's debatable if they're even better than Foles at this point. Rivers' arm looked dead last year and Brady is 43 with an arm that didn't look so hot last year either. Outside of them, the next best of the crop was Bridgewater who we offered 3 years $60 million to but he chose another spot. From there you've got Cam (injured), Jameis (turnover machine like Mitch and likely looking for A LOT of money), Mariota (who is basically Mitch) and Dalton (solid but folds in big spots). Derek Carr was never an option since the Raiders weren't able to get Brady. Beyond that, it was guys like A.J. McCarron. I don't see how we could have gotten anything better than Foles especially considering he knows our system and has worked with our coaches before.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be a competition, pretty much. You're not going to just put Mitch on the bench automatically after giving him a vote of confidence and investing so much into him. You're also not going to hand him the starting job because his play so far doesn't deserve it.

Technically, it will be a competition, but in reality it's Foles job to lose. Doesn't mean that he can't fall on his face and Trubisky eventually carries the day. But Pace brought Foles in to take the reins, and he'll be given every opportunity to begin the 2020 campaign as the starting QB.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Pace brought Foles in to take the reins
Did he? Pace said as recently as a week ago that they had full confidence in Mitch, and they've given him nothing but every opportunity to be the Bears' QB. It's possible that Pace just wants a good fallback option and/or something to get people off his back about not addressing the backup spot well enough.

All i'm saying is that we shouldn't just expect Foles to take over and Mitch get pushed to the side. If it happens then fine, but i'm still not completely writing Mitch off yet. If anything is going to make him open his eyes, this will. If he turns a corner and starts to look like a 2nd overall pick then it'd be stupid to sit him on the bench because it took him a while to figure things out.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically, it will be a competition, but in reality it's Foles job to lose. Doesn't mean that he can't fall on his face and Trubisky eventually carries the day. But Pace brought Foles in to take the reins, and he'll be given every opportunity to begin the 2020 campaign as the starting QB.

Keep in mind that Bridgewater didn't sign here because we wouldn't entirely commit to him. I doubt it is any different with Foles.

I still wouldn't be shocked if Nagy/Pace are hoping this just "motivates" Mitch and that's what this whole thing is. Then, Foles is just a contingency plan if he looks the same coming out in camp or is slow out of the gate in September.

I mean, we gave a 4th round pick for Foles and he is due to make 15 mil this year before each party has an out in his contract. That doesn't exactly scream "You're the guy!". Mitch is making 9 mil and this regime invested everything into him. It could truly go either way, IMO.

I don't think what we did means that we favor Foles. He's here to compete, I believe.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he? Pace said as recently as a week ago that they had full confidence in Mitch, and they've given him nothing but every opportunity to be the Bears' QB. It's possible that Pace just wants a good fallback option and/or something to get people off his back about not addressing the backup spot well enough.

All i'm saying is that we shouldn't just expect Foles to take over and Mitch get pushed to the side. If it happens then fine, but i'm still not completely writing Mitch off yet. If anything is going to make him open his eyes, this will. If he turns a corner and starts to look like a 2nd overall pick then it'd be stupid to sit him on the bench because it took him a while to figure things out.
Those are legit points (except the part about Pace expressing confidence in Trubisky, which I thought was the standard PR), but I'm of the opinion that the Bears are fed up with Mitch and will bend over backwards to make sure Foles is given every opportunity to be the starter.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is an open competition....will Nagy play starters in the preseason?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I expect that 100%. Mitch will get second team reps and hold a clipboard in 2020.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is an open competition....will Nagy play starters in the preseason?

I doubt that we will COMPLETELY rest them again. Put it that way.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was more like 16ish million this upcoming season after the restructure. So not horrible when you consider what some teams pay their QB's...but even at that , I swear if Mitch "wins the competition" and is opening day starter...I may flip my sh*t.

I'm on the Big Dick Nick train come hell or high water. We brought him in because Mitch sucks. Period. Don't f*cking gimme this 16 million dollar backup "because camp competition" sh*t. Let's see if the team can win with a serviceable QB, as ol' richi claims. I have my doubts, but gimme that glimmer of hope with Foles. No more "Touchdowns are miracles" Trubisky games. I don't care what happens in practice/camp. I want the proven player. We deserve that as fans while the D is still stout.

That is palatable then... Trubisky needs competition for sure... Not sure how I feel about Bob Avellini’s number being un-retired though? ;)

Zappa_Zippo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the consequences of Ryan Pace being an absolute train wreck of a GM when it comes to use of draft picks (the most important asset any NFL teams have) continues. This is totally and utterly lost by all of the utter fools on this board, not matter how windbaggish.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is palatable then... Trubisky needs competition for sure... Not sure how I feel about Bob Avellini’s number being un-retired though? ;)

#7 is retired for Hallas. Avellini is always what I think of with #7 on this team, though.

Foles was only #7 in Jacksonville, though. He was #9 for most of his career (Philly and KC). So, that is what I expect. Unless Tyler Bray wants to keep it. Then, perhaps #5 like he wore in St. Louis.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck you guys for not jumping for joy.

Foles deserves so much better.

Besides getting hurt all the time he's a damn good quarterback. The QB room is stronger now and that helps the whole team.

Be happy.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck you guys for not jumping for joy.

Foles deserves so much better.

Besides getting hurt all the time he's a damn good quarterback. The QB room is stronger now and that helps the whole team.

Be happy.

I'll trade you him for Wentz.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 looks stellar all around. Reading this really cements to me that Pace is damn good after round 1. He's definitely had a few whiffs with early opportunities, though.

I think he's had 32 picks....in my opinion I'd call like 11 of them hits right now with last years draft having a chance to add a couple more to that total.

I don't know how that stacks up to other GMs but it definitely doesn't scream awful.