• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I don't really get what people wanted

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not done. Despite his less-than-stellar performance up to now, he's known for working hard and being humble. He'll get a chance to compete with Foles and will get the job if he performs better. The coaching staff has no reason to completely give up on him. They'd like nothing more than to see him figure it out and pilot this offense toward superbowl contention. You can argue that they've gone about it the wrong way, simply handing him the job with no competition. They've remedied that now.

Maybe real competition from Foles will cause something in Mitch to click. Maybe not. I won't hold my breath that it will: it seems like Mitch just doesn't have the ability to see the field like he needs to but you never know.

Still, if Mitch indeed sucks and/or Foles is indeed better than Mitch, he'll get the job. Pace and Nagy now have more pressure on them to win rather than make Trubisky into a franchise QB so i have no doubt whatsoever that they'll give the job to the better player.

That little viewpoint you slide in there is true, but also leads me to this conclusion about Mitch:

tenor.gif

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That little viewpoint you slide in there is true, but also leads me to this conclusion about Mitch:

tenor.gif
Mitch has balls. You have to playing behind that offensive line and taking off and running like he does.

What he hasn't shown that he has is the ability to see the field and make his progressions. People used to say Jay Cutler was a "see it throw it" kind of guy, which means he couldn't really anticipate where a guy would be and thus throw it to that spot. Cutler had elite arm strength so it allowed him to get away with that to a degree but held him back from being elite. Trubisky is similar in that respect, just without the elite arm strength.

Trubisky doesn't seem to understand how the routes his receivers are running interact with the defense. He doesn't seem to understand the movement of the routes in relation to where the defenders are, knowing to abandon that route because of where the safety is and instead look to this route because of where that safety is. He doesn't seem to understand throwing guys open. He's usually way off on his deep routes and his footwork is often sloppy leading to mis-thrown balls.

I don't think this is stuff that would suddenly come to him but you never know. Regardless, it's not for lack of being intelligent enough or not working hard enough or not wanting it enough. The FO and the coaching staff loves Mitch (the person) for a reason.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitch has balls. You have to playing behind that offensive line and taking off and running like he does.

What he hasn't shown that he has is the ability to see the field and make his progressions. People used to say Jay Cutler was a "see it throw it" kind of guy, which means he couldn't really anticipate where a guy would be and thus throw it to that spot. Cutler had elite arm strength so it allowed him to get away with that to a degree but held him back from being elite. Trubisky is similar in that respect, just without the elite arm strength.

Trubisky doesn't seem to understand how the routes his receivers are running interact with the defense. He doesn't seem to understand the movement of the routes in relation to where the defenders are, knowing to abandon that route because of where the safety is and instead look to this route because of where that safety is. He doesn't seem to understand throwing guys open. He's usually way off on his deep routes and his footwork is often sloppy leading to mis-thrown balls.

I don't think this is stuff that would suddenly come to him but you never know. Regardless, it's not for lack of being intelligent enough or not working hard enough or not wanting it enough. The FO and the coaching staff loves Mitch (the person) for a reason.

I agree with what you're saying here...but I didn't mean the kid can't take a hit or won't put in the time to improve himself as best he can. I meant he's going to fold mentally if he goes out there and coachspeak like the comment of yours I bolded is pre-protecting such a failure.

If Mitch walks back out there on the field as starting QB for the Chicago Bears and is anything but Peyton Manning out there, look out. Mitch's inability to be even an average QB at this point is a reflection that he can't mentally handle the QB position imo. Watching Mitch in pressers and after he f*cks up on field is painful. You can see it in his eyes where the pressure of rising to the top of the NFL was on him and he failed. I think he knows he's in over his head too. And I know Nagy and Co. know it. Will time really change that? Possibly, but highly unlikely. I mean, far beyond any percentage you would reasonably want to put on the fate of a possibly Super Bowl contending roster. Especially when you have a guy that actually won the Super Bowl on the roster as an option.

It's best for everyone that we move on or at least give the dude a season off.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't question Mitch's humbleness, his work ethic, his leadership - all important qualities required from an NFL QB. But what I do question is his talent, I question the continuing lack of consistency to his game. I question why are we about to begin Year 4 of the Mitch Trubisky era still having such questions not close to being answered.

Some Bear fans might claim that this is Mitch's make-or-break year. Not me, I had last season as that and not only was he unable to make it, I felt he actually digressed. So I'm going to stick with the belief that the brass brought Foles in to take the reins, that going into camp it will be his job to lose, regardless of what they're feeding the media.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't question Mitch's humbleness, his work ethic, his leadership - all important qualities required from an NFL QB. But what I do question is his talent, I question the continuing lack of consistency to his game. I question why are we about to begin Year 4 of the Mitch Trubisky era still having such questions not close to being answered.

Some Bear fans might claim that this is Mitch's make-or-break year. Not me, I had last season as that and not only was he unable to make it, I felt he actually digressed. So I'm going to stick with the belief that the brass brought Foles in to take the reins, that going into camp it will be his job to lose, regardless of what they're feeding the media.

I just don't want to watch the man play football anymore. I'm sad he didn't work out for sure. And man if I was a girl, mmm boy he's a looker...but come on now...He got to go.

To paraphrase the Great Vince Neil:

"Mitch, don't go away mad...Mitch, just go away"

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trubisky sees the field just as poorly as Cutler, yes. If not worse.

The difference (besides Cutler's blessed right arm) is their mentality, IMO. Cutler would at least take his shots and hit a chunk of them. Trubisky's lack of processing speed forces him into a shell and he plays scared. He is TERRIFIED to fuck up. When things begin to go wrong for Mitch it looks like the game is moving 100 MPH per hour for him. Cutler never looked like that. Even in his 4 or 5 INT games. Jay stood in there, appeared unphased and took his shots.

Cutler sees an opportunity but doesn't quite have a read on the depth of the safety coming over the top: "Fuck it. I'm gonna spin it."

Mitch sees the exact same opportunity: "Shit, shit! Where's my checkdown? Ah, okay. Good. I didn't throw the drive away. Phew! Breathe... breathe. That's better."

They just react differently to their biggest flaw. Cutler reacted in a way that kept him serviceable and average/above average (with some undoubted low points) throughout his prime. That and (like you said) his elite arm strength allowed to catch fire for stretches when those plays were hitting for him.

Cutler was basically the previous generation's Jameis Winston.

Trubisky is not physically soft. However, he is mentally soft. Mitch is a just a nice boy. I would love for Mitch to date my daughter. Some guys are like that but can turn a switch on the field. Mitch doesn't appear to have that.

Mitch will run through a brick wall for you, but he's really afraid of doing it wrong. lol

Even if he did have that... he just has zero football instincts in the pocket. He can't see, he can't process, he panics. He has no concept of when to put touch on a ball or when to drive it. Weird shit happens with players, some are late bloomers. Maybe he can turn it around... but there's ZERO reason to expect it.

Mitch finding confidence would move the needle for him a bit. Only so much, though.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't want to watch the man play football anymore. I'm sad he didn't work out for sure. And man if I was a girl, mmm boy he's a looker...but come on now...He got to go.

To paraphrase the Great Vince Neil:

"Mitch, don't go away mad...Mitch, just go away"

Mitch will likely be sentenced to being a career backup, accumulating tens of millions by the age of 35 and marrying a really beautiful woman. His in-laws will also be happy because he's a nice, respectful young man.

Life could be a lot worse.

I'll root for him wherever he goes. But yeah, I'm ready for his story here to be over.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mitch's game is consistent. Just not in a good way.

Let's all be honest for a second - Mitch has had like 7 good games here. The rest has been below average to poor.

Mitch's best year? 2018? Nearly half of those TD passes came from 2 games.

This is not an up/down tale. It's a bad career with a few fleeting moments of promise.