• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hypothetical: The Niners sign Peyton

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That'd leave... what... 10 million left in cap space?

What's the next move?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Why is his cap number so high in the first season of his contract? Aren't we looking at close to 40M in cap space?

Oh. I thought it was more like 30...

Ok say the Niners have around 18 mill' left after signing Peyton & Wayne. What's next?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Ok say the Niners have around 18 mill' left after signing Peyton & Wayne. What's next?

But still, why is his cap number in year one 20M? Are you signing him to a 1 year, 20M contract? You can get a lot better than that with the structure.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
But still, why is his cap number in year one 20M? Are you signing him to a 1 year, 20M contract? You can get a lot better than that with the structure.

True. What's a good cap #? 12? 13? 15?

I'm not a huge fan of back loading contracts, but that's not the issue here. Let's just say 13.

So the Niners have Peyton, Wayne & 25 million in cap space. After that, but before I wake up, what's the next move?

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would assume a top tier WR would be off the table at that point (Bowe, Jackson, Wallace), but I would take either Wayne or Garcon, maybe Stevie Johnson (not sure what he's asking for).

I would also franchise Goldson if a long term contract could be reached.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That'd leave... what... 10 million left in cap space?

What's the next move?

True. What's a good cap #? 12? 13? 15?

I'm not a huge fan of back loading contracts, but that's not the issue here. Let's just say 13.

So the Niners have Peyton, Wayne & 25 million in cap space. After that, but before I wake up, what's the next move?

I don't see why it would be. They'd' still have like 25 million in cap space.

10 left, 18 left, 25 left over. It just keeps on getting better! Just kidding. I don't know how much will be left, I just thought this really is like one of those dreams where it starts out reasonable so you don't know if it's a dream or real life, then you feel like someone should pinch you, and then, you're like fuck it, I'm going to enjoy this!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
imac says the Niners are looking at like 40 million in space, and he's usually on top of those things. I thought it'd be like 30...

I usually go by the average cap number rather than the first one because the Niners are going to have to deal with the contract for multiple years not just one (unless it's a 1 year deal of course). But they could go all out for 2012 if they got Peyton because they'd have as good a chance at winning a SB as ant team in the league.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I would assume a top tier WR would be off the table at that point (Bowe, Jackson, Wallace), but I would take either Wayne or Garcon, maybe Stevie Johnson (not sure what he's asking for).

I would also franchise Goldson if a long term contract could be reached.

I don't see why it would be. They'd' still have like 25 million in cap space.

"At that point" could be in reference to timeline issue? (Unlikely, I know) My guess is that he doesn't assume that we would have that much left, but the way the Routt just agreed to deal making Bowe likely to be franchised and it drives up the rest of the receiver's asking price, it wouldn't be feasible. Maybe by the time we get to Manning, these guys would either be priced so high or signed.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imac says the Niners are looking at like 40 million in space, and he's usually on top of those things. I thought it'd be like 30...

I usually go by the average cap number rather than the first one because the Niners are going to have to deal with the contract for multiple years not just one (unless it's a 1 year deal of course). But they could go all out for 2012 if they got Peyton because they'd have as good a chance at winning a SB as ant team in the league.

Should be about 37 or 38mil.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why not go after Marvin Harrison while you are at it, to complete the trifecta.

Harrison's neck nerves are in better shape than Peyton's.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Playing along with the Manning-Wayne scenario, and assuming Manning is actually healthy, I turn my attention to defense.

I probably make a competitive 4-year offer to Rogers, franchise Goldson, and see if I can keep Brooks on a reasonable 3-year deal. Those numbers would probably be $8-9 million for Rogers, $6 million for Goldson, and then say $4-5 million for Brooks. I'd give Morgan either a one-year/$1.5 million deal or a longer deal at roughly the same rate, and try to keep our STs guys. Otherwise, I don't make any big FA splashes.

In the draft, I am looking hard at WR, CB, S, and interior OL in the first three rounds (though I'm optimistic Kilgore might be a starter at RG in the not-too-distant future). In the middle rounds I'm looking at RB and OLB, and possibly another WR.

The reasoning: these moves keep our D at an elite level right now. I'm a bit torn on a deal for Rogers given his age, but if we get Peyton, that would absolutely seal it for me. We're suddenly in hardcore win-now mode. While WR is a huge need with Smith at QB, Manning is a guy who has made players like Austin Collie and Jacob Tamme look like pro bowl players. Hell, he made Blair White look pretty darn good. You give that guy Davis, Walker, Wayne, Crabtree, Morgan, Williams, a first or second round rookie with some size, and Gore and Hunter in the backfield, and this offense is suddenly one of the best in the league.