• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hypothetical: The Niners sign Peyton

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think Peyton would cost top dollar. I'd imagine his goal would be to win a Super Bowl, to prove to the Colts that they made a mistake. He'd compromise his own goal by crippling his new team with a 20 million dollar cap hit. Even that egotistical prick Favre was only playing for 12 mil a year with the Vikings... because he recognized the Vikings would never make the SuperBowl if he gobbled up 20 million and didn't leave any room for them to secure better players at other positions.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think Peyton would cost top dollar. I'd imagine his goal would be to win a Super Bowl, to prove to the Colts that they made a mistake. He'd compromise his own goal by crippling his new team with a 20 million dollar cap hit. Even that egotistical prick Favre was only playing for 12 mil a year with the Vikings... because he recognized the Vikings would never make the SuperBowl if he gobbled up 20 million and didn't leave any room for them to secure better players at other positions.

Link?

;)

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But still, why is his cap number in year one 20M? Are you signing him to a 1 year, 20M contract? You can get a lot better than that with the structure.

This.
If they were going to sign him, I would think that Baalke and company are smart enough to go with a reasonable base salary and pack it full of incentives like wins, playoff wins, etc.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So I'll finally take a crack at this...

If the Niners sign Peyton I say the next guy they should sign (after Wayne or Garcon of course) would be Carl Nicks.

The Saints are probably going to franchise Brees, so Nicks will be an URFA. URFA OLs of this caliber rarely hit the market.

You have to ask yourself: Whom would you rather have? Vjax or Nicks? I'll take Nicks without even blinking. And Vjax will probably get more money than Nicks.

Imagine what Peyton could do with that kind of protection! He'd make Tedd Ginn look like Mike Wallace.

...The next key move I'd make would be to trade up for Nick Perry and let Brooks walk. Brooks wants a ton of money. I love the guy, but I'd rather have Nicks than Brooks.

Last edited by a moderator:

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'll finally take a crack at this...

If the Niners sign Peyton I say the next guy they should sign (after Wayne or Garcon of course) would be Carl Nicks.

The Saints are probably going to franchise Brees, so Nicks will be an URFA. URFA OLs of this caliber rarely hit the market.

You have to ask yourself: Whom would you rather have? Vjax or Nicks? I'll take Nicks without even blinking. And Vjax will probably get more money than Nicks.

Imagine what Peyton could do with that kind of protection! He'd make Tedd Ginn look like Mike Wallace.

...The next key move I'd make would be to trade up for Nick Perry and let Brooks walk. Brooks wants a ton of money. I love the guy, but I'd rather have Nicks than Brooks.

Wouldn't ginn have to catch the ball to look like wallcae

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Wouldn't ginn have to catch the ball to look like wallcae

I was exaggerating, but you know what I mean. Whoever the Niners' WRs would look about as good as they possibly can with Manning throwing from behind a potentially legendary OL like the one they'd have with Nicks.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Some lesser FAs I'd sign regardless of whether the Niners get Peyton or not:

Manny Lawson, Tyler Brayton

And maybe one, two or three from this list for cheap:

Corey Redding
Aubrayo Franklin
Will Allen
Tommy Harris
Andre Caldwell
(he's a bengal, but I'm having trouble finding his arrest record. Weird).
Gerrard Warren
Adam Carriker
Shaun Rogers

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So the Niners signed Brooks & will franchise Goldson. That's gonna take up around.... 11-12 million or so?

That would leave the Niners with around 26 million in cap space. If the Niners signed Manning his cap number would probably be around 12 or so? That'd leave 'em with 14.

If Rogers signs his cap number would probably be around 5 or 6 maybe? That'd leave 'em with around 8. They're gonna need 5 million for the rooks, so that'd leave 3.

I'm really starting to not like the fact that Goldson is going to be franchised. Maybe another team would trade a 4th rounder for him?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So the Niners signed Brooks & will franchise Goldson. That's gonna take up around.... 11-12 million or so?

That would leave the Niners with around 26 million in cap space. If the Niners signed Manning his cap number would probably be around 12 or so? That'd leave 'em with 14.

If Rogers signs his cap number would probably be around 5 or 6 maybe? That'd leave 'em with around 8. They're gonna need 5 million for the rooks, so that'd leave 3.

I'm really starting to not like the fact that Goldson is going to be franchised. Maybe another team would trade a 4th rounder for him?

My answer doesn't change much from what I said before. If Manning were to come in, I'd look to keep the D elite. I'd go harder for Rogers. I'd still consider Goldson, but I could live with letting him walk, too. He makes some good plays, but I think he's better playing a deflected ball than making a play ON the ball. I would consider going after Reggie Smith at a fraction of the price, though only if the FO okays that. I have some concerns about his durability, but I'm worried he's going to move on and become a pretty good starting FS who is a better center fielder than Goldson. And with Peyton on the team, opponents will be throwing against us more.

Then, as said, I'd grab one or two mid-range FA WRs. Look at interior OL, WR, and CB in the first three rounds - not in that order.