• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2020 Season

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly!

These QB's are hanging out from 7th grade on up at camps all year round and if word gets out that UW will recruit you but doesn't give you a shot they wont get these 4* and 5* QB's any more.
I was chatting with someone else on here a few weeks back on here and he was bring up the fact three transfer QB's were leading the playoff teams. That's great and dandy, but Borrow won the whole thing. He was at LSU for two years not one. And LSU made sure to have developed talent all around!

I'm with you on this. Although I do believe Costello would make the team better in 2020, if I were a recruit, I would reconsider UW if I had the perception that UW is just going to rely on a rent-a-QB philosophy. If K.J. Costello does decide to transfer to UW, I really do hope this will be the last rent-a-QB we have for a long time.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree it's a shitty thing to do to kids that committed to you. Not in this new paradigm. It was a crappy thing to do when transfer rules favored the teams, but the new portal means basically no QB has loyalty to a program either. They are here to try to win a spot and if not they are gone.

I get your perspective, I just don't like how things have changed. It sucks for kids who commit to a school and essentially get displaced by someone who didn't and just wants to improve their draft status. In general I just don't like the whole one and done thing.

Ahmed is one of the most dangerous outside runners in the conference at the very least. He didn't have the numbers IMO because we had a lousy offensive mindset. Put Ahmed on any other team with a true offensive mind and they for sure would have developed plays just to get him into outside space more.

This team ran pretty well with Newton because he can run downhill in a basic scheme. That's not Ahmed's bread and butter.

We really have no idea if the new OC would have found more creative ways to get him open in space. He certainly couldn't have done worse.

I think that Ahmed is amazing outside of the tackles, but he wasn't great between the tackles. That's why I mentioned him being a great complementary back, but not someone you can really rely on between the tackles.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear again, I'm not in favor of taking kj. Not as much for the negatives on the kids already here as I just don't think he's enough of a potential upgrade to deal with the downsides of a one and done. I don't see him taking them to a championship. If it doesn't take you to at least winning the conference it shouldn't ever be worth doing.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you on this. Although I do believe Costello would make the team better in 2020, if I were a recruit, I would reconsider UW if I had the perception that UW is just going to rely on a rent-a-QB philosophy. If K.J. Costello does decide to transfer to UW, I really do hope this will be the last rent-a-QB we have for a long time.

Jake Browning had four great years here, sure there was times he looked terrible, but why not have a guy at the #2 spot to push him for PT?

If there is one glaring position that this program has of not developing a player for the NFL ( besides kickers) its the QB spot.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Browning had four great years here, sure there was times he looked terrible, but why not have a guy at the #2 spot to push him for PT?

If there is one glaring position that this program has of not developing a player for the NFL ( besides kickers) its the QB spot.
IMO, it's not because of lack of talent or at least potential. They lacked offensive leadership under Petersen. Look at what they did on defense. Several 3* caliber guys are in the league. They developed guys and found diamonds in the rough. Offense, not as much. Really anywhere. The guys that made the league were the guys that came in likely headed that way.

Not sure they even knew how to evaluate the QB position, more or less develop it.

That's what was always perplexing. Petersen is supposed to be an offense guy and somehow they developed kids at Boise.

I do blame him because Smith and Hamdan were his choices and neither got it done.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not trying to imply that Peyton Henry is an NFL-tier player, but he did have a very good season in 2019 and took a huge leap forward compared to his 2018 season.

If we're talking about developing a player for the NFL, Browning never had the skill set the NFL covets. He's the type of guy who can succeed at the college level, but just doesn't have the arm strength that NFL teams look for.

After watching Eason for an entire year I personally wouldn't even consider drafting him in the first 3 rounds right now. He has IMO a stronger arm than most players in the NFL right now and the size that NFL teams covet, but his lack of leadership and how poorly he played when he actually faced a pass rush is extremely concerning. I think I read that he had a 30% completion percentage when he was pressured. I'm not expecting a QB to have a 70% completion percentage when pass protection breaks down, but 30% is abysmal.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, it's not because of lack of talent or at least potential. They lacked offensive leadership under Petersen. Look at what they did on defense. Several 3* caliber guys are in the league. They developed guys and found diamonds in the rough. Offense, not as much. Really anywhere. The guys that made the league were the guys that came in likely headed that way.

Not sure they even knew how to evaluate the QB position, more or less develop it.

That's what was always perplexing. Petersen is supposed to be an offense guy and somehow they developed kids at Boise.

I do blame him because Smith and Hamdan were his choices and neither got it done.

As much as I love Petersen and everything he did for the program, I never understood him being considered an offense guy. The only year the offense was exceptional was when he had Tedford as an assistant.

I just hope that the offensive scheme we run in 2020 isn't the same limp-dick shit we've seen the past few years. I also don't even want to see the wildcat again. It's extremely predictable when it's run with the frequency that UW has run it.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to imply that Peyton Henry is an NFL-tier player, but he did have a very good season in 2019 and took a huge leap forward compared to his 2018 season..

Are you serious right now? we are talking about kickers? Kickers bruh? :L

Come on man I need you to get on your game now, we got a brutal M's season coming up and I need you to back me with proper stats on my comments......

And for the record, Jake Browing is an NFL QB, he might be a back up but he could very easily end up playing on Sundays.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that they are back to actually having a fucking game instead of a spring showcase or whatever the fuck, I'd expect more to show up. Hard to say how many and I wouldn't expect a 'sell out' or packed house even if it's free. Petersen's sudden departure and lack of that exciting marquee name might tamp down the crowds a bit.

Lake needs to have a strong year and build a QB and skill players that bring some fire to the Montlake faithfull and next years will pack them in.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All right coaches are in their spots, great recruiting class now all we need is spring ball to hurry up and get here

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OC position is always going to be a sour spot for Dawg fans!
I'm ready to give the man an actual chance of proving himself!
I think we gave the last two their chances.

Petersen brought in Smith and that was good enough at the time. Not like people were calling for his head the first year. Even in Browning's first year things were looking up. It crashed down in a hurry. Probably didn't really call for his firing for more than a season later.

Hamdan we were cautiously optimistic, but he didn't have play calling experience. Yes, he was on a shorter leash, but he had a chance to prove it.

The new guy has called plays and built an offense. That's an improvement already. Im not ready to give him praise until he earns it. But he's going to have a rookie QB. He will get credit for that.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to have a young pup QB, new guys on the oline , young fast new wide outs, its going to take time.

People are going to bitch, we live in a society that think things can be improved over night!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to have a young pup QB, new guys on the oline , young fast new wide outs, its going to take time.

People are going to bitch, we live in a society that think things can be improved over night!
Maybe random fans, but not our people here.

All we asked for with the last two is to see ANY kind of progress through the season. Look better each month. Show some kind of growth.

Even with young kids and new coaches you should expect to look better in November than August. That isn't too much to ask for.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you serious right now? we are talking about kickers? Kickers bruh? :L

Come on man I need you to get on your game now, we got a brutal M's season coming up and I need you to back me with proper stats on my comments......

And for the record, Jake Browing is an NFL QB, he might be a back up but he could very easily end up playing on Sundays.

I know this is the Husky forum and I don't mean to talk about the M's on here, but I think this season will be more pleasant than last year. A lot of young, exciting players coming up.

With regards to Browning, the only way he will get NFL playing time is if the Vikings suffer a ton of injuries at QB and decide to play Browning instead of finding a free agent solution. I think he spent the season on the practice squad for the Vikings.