• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2020 Season

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Biggest Offseason Priority for Every New Power 5 CFB Coach

1. Jimmy Lake, Washington

Lake recognized the need for an updated offense and didn't retain coordinator Bush Hamdan. The replacement is risky, though.

John Donovan hasn't held the OC role since an uninspiring end to his Penn State tenure in 2015, and his replacement, Joe Moorhead, both thrived at PSU and was just hired at Pac-12 rival Oregon. Perhaps four seasons in the NFL helped Donovan, but Lake's defensive background is key to Donovan running a less predictable offense.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KJ wasn't that great behind a pretty solid Stanford line. Can't say that would be one of those transfer grabs I'd be in favor of. Maybe someone can change my mind? :noidea:

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the fvck is Lake doing this? Stop recruiting high school QB's if you're going to go the transfer route.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the fvck is Lake doing this? Stop recruiting high school QB's if you're going to go the transfer route.
Sirmon will probably head to the transfer portal again now.
Morris and Costello will likely be the competitors for 2020 starter. Garbers could redshirt. Maybe he'll be able to compete to be the starter as well. But will probably come down to Costello ( if he joins) and Morris.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KJ wasn't that great behind a pretty solid Stanford line. Can't say that would be one of those transfer grabs I'd be in favor of. Maybe someone can change my mind? :noidea:

KJ Costello is in town today meeting the coaching staff......:L

I'm really conflicted regarding the Costello thing. Based on what I've heard people say, it would appear as if I'm more in favor of it than others.

On the one hand I personally hate the transfer bullshit and the one-and-done stuff and think that this could negatively impact recruiting. On the other hand I do believe that Costello is better than Eason and if I had to pick between Sirmon, Morris, Garbers (or even Eason) for 2020 I'd personally take Costello. I think that Costello makes us better in 2020, but the long-term effect could be pretty bad. All the current players and recruits were all pretty highly rated and I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the QBs decide to transfer.

I just hope that if Costello does decide to come to UW, it's an actual QB competition. Behind the scenes I have a feeling that Haener won the competition but UW felt reluctant to start Eason.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sirmon will probably head to the transfer portal again now.
Morris and Costello will likely be the competitors for 2020 starter. Garbers could redshirt. Maybe he'll be able to compete to be the starter as well. But will probably come down to Costello ( if he joins) and Morris.

If Costello does decide to come to UW, I'd be absolutely stunned if Sirmon didn't head to the transfer portal again. I also wouldn't be surprised if Dylan Morris and/or Ethan Garbers might reconsider their options as well. The only QB I'm confident will stay with UW is Huard.

If I'm Morris or Garbers I'd be thinking to myself "Costello will likely be the starter in 2020 and a 5 star UW legacy will be coming around in 2021" and think that things look pretty grim for playing time. As much as I think Costello makes UW better in 2020, it is kind of a shitty thing to do to the kids who actually committed to UW in favor of a guy who just wants a good school to play at to improve his draft status.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also kind of random thought since I've been away for a while:

Am I the only one who thinks it's a blessing in disguise that Ahmed decided to declare for the draft? He has great athletic ability but to me he was somewhat underwhelming in 2019 and seemed more of a complimentary back. He never really seemed to figure it out between the tackles and seemed really hesitant when hitting the hole. I was actually somewhat surprised to see that he averaged 5.4 YPC. Personally I was much more impressed by Richard Newton. Perhaps it's a personal preference, but I prefer a running game that has a runningback who pounds between the tackles and is complimented by a guy like Newton on outside stretch/pitch plays.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Costello does decide to come to UW, I'd be absolutely stunned if Sirmon didn't head to the transfer portal again. I also wouldn't be surprised if Dylan Morris and/or Ethan Garbers might reconsider their options as well. The only QB I'm confident will stay with UW is Huard.

If I'm Morris or Garbers I'd be thinking to myself "Costello will likely be the starter in 2020 and a 5 star UW legacy will be coming around in 2021" and think that things look pretty grim for playing time. As much as I think Costello makes UW better in 2020, it is kind of a shitty thing to do to the kids who actually committed to UW in favor of a guy who just wants a good school to play at to improve his draft status.
I don't agree it's a shitty thing to do to kids that committed to you. Not in this new paradigm. It was a crappy thing to do when transfer rules favored the teams, but the new portal means basically no QB has loyalty to a program either. They are here to try to win a spot and if not they are gone.

The only thing I don't like about it is Lake is not an offensive guy. I'm not sure he really knows what he does have or what their ceiling this year could be. Hamdan likely wasn't finding that out and the new guy hasn't been around long enough to know either. It's a risky move to bring a guy in that could spook out talent in the rough that could be something.
Also kind of random thought since I've been away for a while:

Am I the only one who thinks it's a blessing in disguise that Ahmed decided to declare for the draft? He has great athletic ability but to me he was somewhat underwhelming in 2019 and seemed more of a complimentary back. He never really seemed to figure it out between the tackles and seemed really hesitant when hitting the hole. I was actually somewhat surprised to see that he averaged 5.4 YPC. Personally I was much more impressed by Richard Newton. Perhaps it's a personal preference, but I prefer a running game that has a runningback who pounds between the tackles and is complimented by a guy like Newton on outside stretch/pitch plays.
Ahmed is one of the most dangerous outside runners in the conference at the very least. He didn't have the numbers IMO because we had a lousy offensive mindset. Put Ahmed on any other team with a true offensive mind and they for sure would have developed plays just to get him into outside space more.

This team ran pretty well with Newton because he can run downhill in a basic scheme. That's not Ahmed's bread and butter.

We really have no idea if the new OC would have found more creative ways to get him open in space. He certainly couldn't have done worse.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really conflicted regarding the Costello thing. Based on what I've heard people say, it would appear as if I'm more in favor of it than others.

On the one hand I personally hate the transfer bullshit and the one-and-done stuff and think that this could negatively impact recruiting..

Exactly!

These QB's are hanging out from 7th grade on up at camps all year round and if word gets out that UW will recruit you but doesn't give you a shot they wont get these 4* and 5* QB's any more.
I was chatting with someone else on here a few weeks back on here and he was bring up the fact three transfer QB's were leading the playoff teams. That's great and dandy, but Borrow won the whole thing. He was at LSU for two years not one. And LSU made sure to have developed talent all around!