• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2020 Season

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's a bit optimistic given that 3 of our toughest games are on the road.

I will say that if the season happens without people in the stadiums, that actually could be to UW's advantage. Although that didn't help us against Stanford last year...

Getting a win against a good Michigan team will set a nice tone and finally getting a solid win vs an OOC.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason they said that is because telling a recruit that UW will help them achieve their goal of playing at the NFL level is a big selling point.

Yes but there is a difference in being drafted and being signed as an undrafted player, ( say a few thousand $$$)
Lets say Byrant and Ahmend returned, Bryant could actually work on his blocking, ( TE's are asked to still block in the NFL) and Ahmend could get more tape on himself and catching the ball out of the backfield, ( huge plus in the NFL)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting a win against a good Michigan team will set a nice tone and finally getting a solid win vs an OOC.

Tbh I don't even know if we'll have a season which brings up the interesting question of what happens to our home/away with Michigan if we don't have a 2020 season. Do we then go to the 2021 schedule or is the 2020 schedule what we'll play in 2021?

Even if the 2020 season happens with no fans, do we want to play a game against Michigan in an empty stadium then in 2021 have to play in Michigan with a full stadium?

Shitload of questions to be answered.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but there is a difference in being drafted and being signed as an undrafted player, ( say a few thousand $$$)
Lets say Byrant and Ahmend returned, Bryant could actually work on his blocking, ( TE's are asked to still block in the NFL) and Ahmend could get more tape on himself and catching the ball out of the backfield, ( huge plus in the NFL)

I definitely agree with you and I'd also add Jacob Eason to Ahmed and Bryant.

I have to add that I think the lack of being able to run medicals at team facilities played a role in Hunter Bryant not getting drafted. In addition to being able to improve on his blocking, I think Bryant coming back for another year would've helped his cause as a receiving TD. He had great statistics, but I do recall a number of times in which he was unable to bring in a catchable pass in close coverage.

Salvon Ahmed is a bit more complicated. Even though he likely would've lost carries to Richard Newton, I just don't see him as an NFL tier HB. He just really lacked instinct between the tackles and his biggest selling point was his speed and he somehow ran a poor 40 time at the combine despite being timed at a 4.3 multiple times in college and coming out of HS.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tbh I don't even know if we'll have a season which brings up the interesting question of what happens to our home/away with Michigan if we don't have a 2020 season. Do we then go to the 2021 schedule or is the 2020 schedule what we'll play in 2021?

Even if the 2020 season happens with no fans, do we want to play a game against Michigan in an empty stadium then in 2021 have to play in Michigan with a full stadium?

There is some talk of trimming stadium capacities to like 1/3 for other leagues. I personally think a best case is something like that for cfb. The worry is they may cancel ooc and only do conf games.

They can't open games until/unless every single state is at that level. It will only take one state with one issue. Bam, it's not happening at all.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely agree with you and I'd also add Jacob Eason to Ahmed and Bryant.

I have to add that I think the lack of being able to run medicals at team facilities played a role in Hunter Bryant not getting drafted. In addition to being able to improve on his blocking, I think Bryant coming back for another year would've helped his cause as a receiving TD. He had great statistics, but I do recall a number of times in which he was unable to bring in a catchable pass in close coverage.

Salvon Ahmed is a bit more complicated. Even though he likely would've lost carries to Richard Newton, I just don't see him as an NFL tier HB. He just really lacked instinct between the tackles and his biggest selling point was his speed and he somehow ran a poor 40 time at the combine despite being timed at a 4.3 multiple times in college and coming out of HS.

Eason's biggest screw up wasn't fixing his ego or the rep about his attitude.
It amazes me this guy ran scout team for a complete year but never once tried to be a better presenter with his teammates to squash his self centered attitude.

It cost him a ton of $$$$$$

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those are good questions so I'm going to throw some darts at them.

I do believe the 2020 season will start because the money generated by football helps the other sports financially. Losing that money would wreck programs like soccer, wrestling, golf etc. It sucks to play in an empty stadium but if Washington's the better team than they should win and just have to deal with Michigan in 2021 and their packed house.

If the 2020 season becomes toast, I would guess they move on to the 2021 season and try to reschedule Michigan at home down the line to make up for the miss 2020 season.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some talk of trimming stadium capacities to like 1/3 for other leagues. I personally think a best case is something like that for cfb. The worry is they may cancel ooc and only do conf games.

They can't open games until/unless every single state is at that level. It will only take one state with one issue. Bam, it's not happening at all.

Given the circumstances it's really hard to figure out how things will play out.

Right now I think the best bet is indefinitely postponing the season due to all the variables and uncertainties at play. I think I'd personally prefer to see that than a botched attempt at trying to play the games this fall.

Given that these are student athletes, they're likely to be extra cautious. Imagine the backlash and lawsuits that schools could incur if things don't go according to plan.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are good questions so I'm going to throw some darts at them.

I do believe the 2020 season will start because the money generated by football helps the other sports financially. Losing that money would wreck programs like soccer, wrestling, golf etc. It sucks to play in an empty stadium but if Washington's the better team than they should win and just have to deal with Michigan in 2021 and their packed house.

If the 2020 season becomes toast, I would guess they move on to the 2021 season and try to reschedule Michigan at home down the line to make up for the miss 2020 season.

Unfortunately even though football does generate money that helps other sports, a lot of it comes from ticket sales and the "donations" that schools report includes the "donation" you pay with your football season ticket.

I would assume that even without fans in the stadium, that the TV revenue would exceed the operating costs, but I honestly have no clue.

With the schedule once again I have no clue. I heard something about a possibility of playing the 2020 season in the spring of 2021, but what would that mean for the fall 2021 schedule? It would be hard to imagine them playing essentially two seasons within the span of 9 or so months.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately even though football does generate money that helps other sports, a lot of it comes from ticket sales and the "donations" that schools report includes the "donation" you pay with your football season ticket.

I would assume that even without fans in the stadium, that the TV revenue would exceed the operating costs, but I honestly have no clue.

With the schedule once again I have no clue. I heard something about a possibility of playing the 2020 season in the spring of 2021, but what would that mean for the fall 2021 schedule? It would be hard to imagine them playing essentially two seasons within the span of 9 or so months.

TV rev and high cost of tuition and boarding should be able to cover all the costs but I too have no idea.
I heard about the scheduling as well and I have no idea how that would work out with the 2021 regular season. It would seem there's just not enough time to recover plus the one's injured to recover. Let's hope they can get 2020 season on time.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV rev and high cost of tuition and boarding should be able to cover all the costs but I too have no idea.
I heard about the scheduling as well and I have no idea how that would work out with the 2021 regular season. It would seem there's just not enough time to recover plus the one's injured to recover. Let's hope they can get 2020 season on time.

I thought this was interesting:

UW AD Jen Cohen says potential financial impact from coronavirus ranges from ‘kind of manageable to devastating’

No matter what happens, this will have a negative financial impact on the athletic department. I will say that I'm very happy to have Jen Cohen as our AD. It sounds as if her and CFO Kate Cullen have a great plan to account for every situation.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was interesting:

UW AD Jen Cohen says potential financial impact from coronavirus ranges from ‘kind of manageable to devastating’

No matter what happens, this will have a negative financial impact on the athletic department. I will say that I'm very happy to have Jen Cohen as our AD. It sounds as if her and CFO Kate Cullen have a great plan to account for every situation.

Looks like she has a plan in place and I think her best case would be the limited fans in Husky Stadium. It's small but cover some of the losses. I still curious how the Cal schools are going to play if their gov doesn't open things up.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing. I don't see the Pac opening play unless all 12 schools are allowed to play.

California is likely to screw it up for all of us.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uwadidasuni.jpg