• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How would you rank our talent level.

brh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't very high on Jones in the 2012 draft for the Bears, particularly in light of Lovie Smith's track record for developing project players. But I'm pretty sure what Emery was thinking is that Jones wasn't a finished product (he had the physical ability to be what he's become, but then so did Jarron Gilbert), and Jones didn't appear to fit Smith's defense very well.

Couldn't disagree more. I think Jones would have been about the best fit for Lovie's defense of any of the DE's available at that slot. People like to think of Lovie as favoring small fast guys, but in the latter part of his tenure, he was consistently using bigger players at the DE spot. His primary players at that position for his last few years were Peppers, Izzy, and Wooten before McClellin got dumped in his lap.

McClellin was an absolutely terrible fit for Lovie. My assumption all along with that pick was that Emery knew that he probably wasn't going to keep Lovie around past the mandatory 1 year that he was required to and was therefore valuing system versatility over fitting someone into Lovie's system. McClellin looked to have that versatility.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I also had difficulties with Emery passing up Chandler Jones to get Shea McClellin. I think many on the KFFL board believed this was a sign that we may be going to a 3-4 defense or some type of hybrid system. When that never materialized, we were stuck with a smallish DE who was prone to having concussions......Now we have a below average linebacker who is prone to injuries.

I don't know what he was thinking there because the combination of Chandler Jones and Alshon Jeffery may have made me consider that draft a success.

Over on the ESPN board, a lot of us felt exactly the same way. This has, unfortunately, looked like a worse and worse decision as every year Chandler Jones seems to keep getting better while Shea is...well...not so much.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Couldn't disagree more. I think Jones would have been about the best fit for Lovie's defense of any of the DE's available at that slot. People like to think of Lovie as favoring small fast guys, but in the latter part of his tenure, he was consistently using bigger players at the DE spot. His primary players at that position for his last few years were Peppers, Izzy, and Wooten before McClellin got dumped in his lap.

McClellin was an absolutely terrible fit for Lovie. My assumption all along with that pick was that Emery knew that he probably wasn't going to keep Lovie around past the mandatory 1 year that he was required to and was therefore valuing system versatility over fitting someone into Lovie's system. McClellin looked to have that versatility.

x2. All dead on brh.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor was that they thought Green Bay was going to take him(2nd Rd, I believe even), and pair him opposite Matthews.

Again...rumored that we reached because of that.

It would not surprise me, as we are their bitch on every level.

:pout:

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People like to think of Smith's defense as favoring fast guys. Small or large. Because that's historically what Smith's defense has favored. Bruce Irvin topped all defensive linemen at the 2012 Combine with a 4.50 40 time. SheaMac was second with a 4.63.

I'm not about to argue that McClellin was a good pick, let alone over Jones. I was skeptical about both of them then; I was clearly wrong about Jones. Whether he'd have developed the same way here instead of in New England is another matter entirely.

Da Coach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of the debate has to do with what Emery inherited and where the team is today. When Angelo was canned the comment from George McCaskey was that this team did not have the talent to compete over the next several years. In other words, the cupboard was bare. Fast forward a few years and that cupboard is far from bare but it also isn't on par with the top teams in the League. This tells me a few things:

1. The cupboard was REALLY bare
  2. There's still a lot of work to do as a result
  3. The GM hasn't batted 1.000 in the Draft and Free Agency (or even .500)

This all said, last year we would have contended that Emery had the offense in order and needed to focus on the defense. He's started that process but could't fix everything in one offseason. Sadly the players he's brought in have been supreme disappointments, excluding Willie Young and to some degree Ryan Mundy.

In answering the question, I'd give the Bears a 7-7.5 out of 10 regarding talent right now but also knowing that Emery started somewhere around a 2.5-3 when he started.

To this end I am willing to give Emery one more offseason but my patience is wearing very thin. By the sound of it, George McCaskey isn't enamored either. Emery has made what appears to be a critical error in Marc Trestman and another one, albeit one he had little in the way of choices or alternatives, in Jay Cutler. Unless these guys can get on the same page we're in some serious trouble over the next few years.

On an unrelated note since I can't do it elsewhere: Is there any particular reason why I can't start a new thread?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People like to think of Smith's defense as favoring fast guys. Small or large. Because that's historically what Smith's defense has favored. Bruce Irvin topped all defensive linemen at the 2012 Combine with a 4.50 40 time. SheaMac was second with a 4.63.

I'm not about to argue that McClellin was a good pick, let alone over Jones. I was skeptical about both of them then; I was clearly wrong about Jones. Whether he'd have developed the same way here instead of in New England is another matter entirely.

My understanding was the top target for the Bears that draft was Bruce Irvin who would have been more undersized and faster than Shea McClellen (and also would have been skewered as a major reach that draft). He's been alright for Seattle. Personally, I wanted Mercillus at the time. In hindsight of course, Chandler Jones looks like he would have been the man.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To this end I am willing to give Emery one more offseason but my patience is wearing very thin. By the sound of it, George McCaskey isn't enamored either. Emery has made what appears to be a critical error in Marc Trestman and another one, albeit one he had little in the way of choices or alternatives, in Jay Cutler. Unless these guys can get on the same page we're in some serious trouble over the next few years.

Is there an article you are referring to because I have not heard this yet....

I'm not challenging you, I would just like to read what George McCaskey has said about PE.

On an unrelated note since I can't do it elsewhere: Is there any particular reason why I can't start a new thread?

Just sent a PM to one of the Mods (Caliskinsfan) in regards to removing the restrictions on the KFFL refuges. Evidently they put these restrictions on new posters to prevent spamming and trolls.

The list of KFFL refugees I asked to have the restrictions include: Da Coach, Thunderspirit, BRH, Nomoreshoop, Dirk, Biggix, Dasuperfan, and Aussie77.

If there is anyone else or any lurkers who would like to be cleared of the "newby restrictions," please let me know and I will PM one of the mods. If you cannot PM me, post it in one of the threads I am frequenting and I'll PM a Mod for you.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops....

I just sent Caliskinsfan a PM to clear Toooverbearing of the restrictions as well.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know- as much as we all thought Shea was a reach in the first round- nobody knew what that was going to become- If he turned into J.J. Watt everyone would be saying that Emery was a genius...it didn't turn out that way. Same for many Draft Picks.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not challenging you, I would just like to read what George McCaskey has said about PE.

All I could find is the usual "We're not happy with the way we are, but we can turn it around" line of bull from a article written off a tv interview. Maybe he was more in depth in the actual interview but here's the article.

Chicago Bears' George McCaskey disappointed, but remains confident - ESPN Chicago

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Just sent a PM to one of the Mods (Caliskinsfan) in regards to removing the restrictions on the KFFL refuges."

That explains my inferiority complex, lol.

Da Coach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Try this:

CSN: George H. McCaskey in studio

Don't expect fire and brimstone but the fact that George says the fans have a right to boo and doesn't steadfastly come to the team's defense speaks volumes. I tried to read between the lines of a guy who I think has the fan's best interests at heart, unlike his knucklehead brother.

Just sent a PM to one of the Mods (Caliskinsfan) in regards to removing the restrictions on the KFFL refuges. Evidently they put these restrictions on new posters to prevent spamming and trolls.

The list of KFFL refugees I asked to have the restrictions include: Da Coach, Thunderspirit, BRH, Nomoreshoop, Dirk, Biggix, Dasuperfan, and Aussie77.

If there is anyone else or any lurkers who would like to be cleared of the "newby restrictions," please let me know and I will PM one of the mods. If you cannot PM me, post it in one of the threads I am frequenting and I'll PM a Mod for you.

Thank you! I have an article from LaCanfora I'd like to post and get everyone's reaction on.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Go fuck yourself Lofton. Your team destroyed us, congrats, zero question. But you've been a dick in your revisionist bullshit on here and coming on here right now is yet an even more douchebag move. Enjoy the dominance, and the fact that you are a prick.

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
be surprised if anyone from this team gets a pro bowl vote.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end we have as good a shot at a SB as your Packers. lol So don't be to high and mighty.

I wouldn't go that far, but I agree with you on principle. It wasn't too long ago that Forest Gregg was fucking up their franchise... Oh how we forget.