• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How we define greatest QB ever (really any player of any sport.)

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about how long they were consistent playing at a high level... I don't think you can say for certain who the greatest of all time is when you consider factors within the team there playing for ... Did they have a running game and team balance on offense, good receivers, decent blocking .... When I think of the greatest it's not alway's just about titles either because that's team success... Marino was freaking awesome, so was Elway his entire career even before he won any titles... His team got better closing out his career and he finally had a good defense and great running game in 97-98.... Brady has been currently the most consistent and has done it at a high level for 14 years ... He did have a great defense early in his career, but even when the Pats lost that defense Brady hasn't missed a beat, definitely one of the greats... Manning also, people cap on the guy because he's lost some big games, but again that's team success... He's led 2 different teams to Super Bowl appearences ....
I agree that this is a big part of my opinion of who is the greatest. One thing about Brady is that he was consistently playing at a high level and did it with completely different NE teams through the years. Brady and Manning can turn a no-name WR or TE into a household name. Rings are a big part of naming the greatest but lots of things other than QB play have to happen to win a championship.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that this is a big part of my opinion of who is the greatest. One thing about Brady is that he was consistently playing at a high level and did it with completely different NE teams through the years. Brady and Manning can turn a no-name WR or TE into a household name. Rings are a big part of naming the greatest but lots of things other than QB play have to happen to win a championship.

True....

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now we are going to have to say Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino.

I said the number ONE thing not the ONLY thing dan marino is a great QB but does not belong in the same sentence as montana, brady or elway due to the fact that he has never won a superbowl

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Marino is the greatest QB I've ever seen. we all have our own opinion, but I really don't know of anyone that I would put as a really close second. I never saw Johhny Unitas play, but I've seen the rest of the usual suspects and Marino was the best of the bunch...just IMO of course...

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said the number ONE thing not the ONLY thing dan marino is a great QB but does not belong in the same sentence as montana, brady or elway due to the fact that he has never won a superbowl

That was rather confusing then. Cause when someone says the ONE thing, it can often be interpreted as the most IMPORTANT thing. Perhaps.

I guess my contention about a QB being able to play in ANY era or would be able to play in ANY system, it refers to QBs that are NOT one dimensional and they demonstrated that on the field constantly.

Like I said, not run first QBs, but QBs that can turn chicken shit into chicken salad. Those attributes tend to be most needed in the post season.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Marino is the greatest QB I've ever seen. we all have our own opinion, but I really don't know of anyone that I would put as a really close second. I never saw Johhny Unitas play, but I've seen the rest of the usual suspects and Marino was the best of the bunch...just IMO of course...

When you say QB, are you saying pocket passer? I with you with that, but I am still maintaining that is not all a QB has to do to lead a team.

I am with you. I think he may indeed have been the best passer from the pocket, but I do not think he was the best QB.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO... you can't take a QB of today's game and plug them into any era. The passing game has evolved over the years into a more passer friendly with all the rules changes to protect the QB. The game is more of a chess game with schemes, better athletes and field position.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OP goes through a lot of effort to disprove Brady's place in history. I am with those that believe football is the ultimate example of a team sport. If you left guard is having a bad day, so is your quarterback.

The system the quarterback plays in, the players that surround him, the coaching staff and the other team all contribute to the quarterback's success.

Not to take away from an quarterback's success, but the variables are too many. In the end, count victories or statistics for football players to determine their greatness (whichever makes you feel better).

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting question. If you take it as them having their historical skill set and playing interchangeably in the different eras, that's one thing. If you mean the men had been born during the other era, that's another.

If Brady had learned the game of the '70s in the '70s, he probably would have won some SBs with the Cowboys. If a young Staubach learned the modern game, he'd likely win a few under Belichick.

Today's Tom Brady back then? Who knows but he'd have to adjust to a whole lot of shit and his receivers getting knocked around. '70s Staubach going up against a Belichick defense would be just fucking dizzy before the end of the first quarter.

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is unreal. Dude is doing it with a shit coach, shit support, shit protection.

He is the most talented QB I've ever seen, only problem is that he's soft like Charmin. Needs to be more of a risk taker but he has the smarts, the skills. I wish he had a better coach, he would easily go down as the GOAT.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let us keep it at QB for right now. Then again we can use the Bill Russell factor. So, is the one who collects the most rings the best ever? Is that how we will define the greatest ever? Ok, well Bill Russell is the greatest basketball player ever. There are no questions.

Wait, but there are of course.

For me, it is the QB that we think could play in any era in any system. That is the way I would define it.

Which QBs past or present do you think could operate in any era under any system. Do you really think Brady could have played in any era under any system?

I do not think he could. I think he greatly benefits from this era. Now, he is great and QBs cannot just simply automatically succeed the way Brady has.

These QBs I think could play in any system and I have to say based on that criteria that Roger Staubach (super bowl era) is the greatest ever. I think he could play in any era and virtually any system.

Roger Staubach
John Elway
Aaron Rodgers
Brett Favre
Steve Young
Warren Moon

Those are examples. No, I did not put Joe Montana or Manning or Brady or Marino in there. I happen to think Montana happened to be in the perfect place at the perfect time. He ran into the west coast system and Bill Walsh much like peanut butter ran into chocolate. I never really saw Montana run a spread out offense out of shotgun. I am also not really sure he could have. We will never know. Although he was mobile and he certainly was not a one dimensional QB.

That leads me to Manning and Marino. They could both be classified as the greatest pocket passers of all time. Well, being a pocket passer is a crucial part of being a QB but not the only part. When that one dimension was taken away from either of those two QBs they had nothing to else to lead a team.

Hence the reason both of them have losing play off records. Yes, in the play offs there is a distinct possibility you will find a solid defense.

Anyway, if we are going to define the greatest by who has the most championships, then Brady has it. 6 SB appearances, and 4 wins. Then if we are going to do that, then Bill Russell is the greatest NBA player of all time.

In my mind there are 11 different criteria for evaluating a quarterback. Oh, and speaking of eleven...

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting question. If you take it as them having their historical skill set and playing interchangeably in the different eras, that's one thing. If you mean the men had been born during the other era, that's another.

If Brady had learned the game of the '70s in the '70s, he probably would have won some SBs with the Cowboys. If a young Staubach learned the modern game, he'd likely win a few under Belichick.

Today's Tom Brady back then? Who knows but he'd have to adjust to a whole lot of shit and his receivers getting knocked around. '70s Staubach going up against a Belichick defense would be just fucking dizzy before the end of the first quarter.

Which is the mistake (in my view) many make when comparing QBs from different eras and I'm not suggesting you're doing it. But it's ridiculously unfair to say if you took a 1960 Johnny U. and planted him on a 2015 NFL team he'd be overwhelmed. Of course he would, but if he grew up in this era he'd be every bit as good. There's nothing that supports the notion that QBs are smarter than they were 60 years ago.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has a favorite QB. Aren't opinions wonderful?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is the mistake (in my view) many make when comparing QBs from different eras and I'm not suggesting you're doing it. But it's ridiculously unfair to say if you took a 1960 Johnny U. and planted him on a 2015 NFL team he'd be overwhelmed. Of course he would, but if he grew up in this era he'd be every bit as good. There's nothing that supports the notion that QBs are smarter than they were 60 years ago.
60 years ago the QB called all the offensive plays.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You've framed this is if you're disagreeing with me but we're saying the exact same thing.

shabazz916

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In basketball its easier. Because of the eye test

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some questions, that perhaps can clarify.

Would Roger Staubach have had an easier time in todays NFL with his WRs not being allowed to be touched, him allowing to simply chuck the ball into the stands if he "gets outside of the tackles," and if a LB hit his knees from the ground, hit him up high, hit him hard?

Or

Would Tom Brady have had an easier time adjusting to an NFL that did not have any of those things?

The answer folks is really simple. Before you think I am saying I am this Brady hater and this is all this is about, I happen to put Manning in that same category.

Unfortunately, we are in an era (fantasy football era) that believe all of the rule changes that benefit everything offense (passing offense) is the reason why the game is so popular. Yeah, I hear colon cowturd use that fallacy all of the time (fucking annoying pencil neck fratboy asshole). Here is a clue why all of that is a red herring. Soccer, is still the most popular game in the world and they have not done a thing to make it more "offensive friendly." I assure you, if the rules were still the same as they were in the 70s, we would not be tuning into hockey in mass numbers. It would still be the most popular game here.

Unfortunately, too many assholes (owners) buy into the bullshit mindset of a colon cowturd.

Anyway, back to the question. Remember everyone, Johnny Unitas threw a TD pass in 47 straight games in an era......you know the rest. (His WRs were molested past the little 5 yard rule)

Sigh.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point...that is bullshit.

I've often said that the three point rule has ruined basketball.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is unreal. Dude is doing it with a shit coach, shit support, shit protection.

He is the most talented QB I've ever seen, only problem is that he's soft like Charmin. Needs to be more of a risk taker but he has the smarts, the skills. I wish he had a better coach, he would easily go down as the GOAT.
Rodgers has taken some big shots. He's had concussion issues before.