• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How the fuck does Grunfeld still have a job in DC?

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many moons ago, he had two players pulling guns in his team's locker room (Arenas and Crittenton)...I still have no idea how he survived that one.

He basically designated Bradley Beal as his franchise player with that signing over the summer. And now even Ian Mahinmi is making more this year than Wall.

John Wall simply does not get the respect he deserves, not only in this organization but also league-wide, as he's continually gotten shafted in the all-star voting.

If I'm Wall I'd demand a trade from this situation in Washington...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he really has done a piss-poor job building around John Wall. Beal is your 2nd best player? Gortat your 3rd?- maybe Porter?-

its not a good team apparently. Everyone has been expecting them to be decent hte last couple years and they just usually suck. It doesnt look like thats an accident.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many moons ago, he had two players pulling guns in his team's locker room (Arenas and Crittenton)...I still have no idea how he survived that one.

He basically designated Bradley Beal as his franchise player with that signing over the summer. And now even Ian Mahinmi is making more this year than Wall.

John Wall simply does not get the respect he deserves, not only in this organization but also league-wide, as he's continually gotten shafted in the all-star voting.

I'll trade them Reggie Jackson and some secondary players or picks for Wall.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had a decent plan. It was overly ambitious and optimistic, but it was a plan.
Wall and Beal were both young and locked up long term to form an attractive cornerstone backcourt.

Then they would use that long term commitment to attract Kevin Durant back home.
All the other moves were short term designs to get Kevin Durant.
It is worth the risk. I would do it 100 times out of 100.

They did not count on injuries. Suddenly that young backcourt was a lottery bound injury riddle mess.
The timing was bad. It would have worked had Durant been a free agent in the summer of 2015 instead of 2016.

It made the prospects of contending less attractive. Durant turned them down.

Imagine if Lebron turned down Miami in 2011, because Wade was injured. Riley would have not lasted either.
Riley gets lauded for taking that huge risk. Grunfeld is getting killed for taking a similar risk.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be fair, John Wall signed a 5 year $85 million contract, and the Wizards used their Bird rights to do it, just before the 2014-15 season. If memory serves, this was just before the salary cap took a huge jump.

So, as far as his contract, that's more about bad timing or bad planning by his representatives (assuming they knew a big salary cap jump was coming) by not looking for a shorter deal so that he could be a free agent again when the cap jumped.

Also, it looks like the maximum he was allowed to increase over his rookie deal was 25%.

I agree about the rest though.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They somehow beat the Knicks tonight but that game aside, they are a mess. I've seen a lot of their games and you can visibly see the total lack of chemistry. It's just a bunch of dudes that don't like playing with each other right now. And I said in a topic here a week or two ago, John Wall is pissed all the damn time to the point where its affecting how he plays. They've got issues on that team beyond Xs and Os. If they don't turn it around in a month, they should just blow it up. Trade Wall at the deadline for some younger talent/assets. They'll have a high draft pick plus whatever they get from trades. That's a decent place to start from

Grunfeld definitely needs to go though. He's had many questionable moves but there's no way anyone should survive paying Beal a max contract. He's made of tissue paper. There's no chance in hell I'm giving him max money but Grunfeld did it anyway.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ernie's Horrifically Bad Decisions | Fire Ernie

Here you go. First of all not usually a good sign when this type of site exists. Some of his moves rival those of Wes Unseld for being the worst in NBA history. Passed up on the likes of Curry and Leonard to obtain players who barely contributed and are long gone. Wall is the only all star that he has drafted in his 13+ years - not good.

Several other questionable moves & now their best chance probably depends on the team tanking & picking up an elite player via the draft (fortunately they were at least smart enough to retain picks for next few years). You have to wonder how long Wall wants to be a part of this mess.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They somehow beat the Knicks tonight but that game aside, they are a mess. I've seen a lot of their games and you can visibly see the total lack of chemistry. It's just a bunch of dudes that don't like playing with each other right now. And I said in a topic here a week or two ago, John Wall is pissed all the damn time to the point where its affecting how he plays. They've got issues on that team beyond Xs and Os. If they don't turn it around in a month, they should just blow it up. Trade Wall at the deadline for some younger talent/assets. They'll have a high draft pick plus whatever they get from trades. That's a decent place to start from

Grunfeld definitely needs to go though. He's had many questionable moves but there's no way anyone should survive paying Beal a max contract. He's made of tissue paper. There's no chance in hell I'm giving him max money but Grunfeld did it anyway.

Signing Beal was not the issue. There was no better alternative available for that money. Harrison Barnes for basically the same deal.

That being said, he should have been out a long time ago. The utter dysfunction that surrounded the Arenas era should have been enough to chase him out.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Beal was not the issue. There was no better alternative available for that money. Harrison Barnes for basically the same deal.

That being said, he should have been out a long time ago. The utter dysfunction that surrounded the Arenas era should have been enough to chase him out.

It is a bit of an issue though. He's not worth max money, especially him considering he's never healthy even with the new cap boom. They should have lowballed the shit out of him and if some other team ponied up, let him walk. Instead, they maxed an undeserving and risky player because they don't want to lose the player/asset. It's a problem a lot of teams, especially bad ones, have; they overvalue their own players. I'd much rather spend low cash on an average player and even run the risk of not hitting the salary floor (the penalty isn't that big a deal, no idea why more teams don't do this) than give made of glass Beal a 5 year deal. Just because you've got a room for a max contract doesn't mean you should fill it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a bit of an issue though. He's not worth max money, especially him considering he's never healthy even with the new cap boom. They should have lowballed the shit out of him and if some other team ponied up, let him walk. Instead, they maxed an undeserving and risky player because they don't want to lose the player/asset. It's a problem a lot of teams, especially bad ones, have; they overvalue their own players. I'd much rather spend low cash on an average player and even run the risk of not hitting the salary floor (the penalty isn't that big a deal, no idea why more teams don't do this) than give made of glass Beal a 5 year deal. Just because you've got a room for a max contract doesn't mean you should fill it.

Ok. I agree with that.

If more teams took that stance, we would not have all these terrible contracts out there.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has pics of the owner with a goat, an amputee midget, and a car battery with jumper cables.

DUH!!!!

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Wizards tonight vs my Heat. Man this team is bad

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, for a team with so much talent they are a disappointment. John Wall is so talented and they're wasting his best yrs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, for a team with so much talent they are a disappointment. John Wall is so talented and they're wasting his best yrs.

He is not completely innocent though. He has not really improved the last couple years and the fued with Beal is holding the team back. It was not that long ago that Beal and Wall called themselves the best backcourt in the NBA.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, John Wall signed a 5 year $85 million contract, and the Wizards used their Bird rights to do it, just before the 2014-15 season. If memory serves, this was just before the salary cap took a huge jump.

So, as far as his contract, that's more about bad timing or bad planning by his representatives (assuming they knew a big salary cap jump was coming) by not looking for a shorter deal so that he could be a free agent again when the cap jumped.

Also, it looks like the maximum he was allowed to increase over his rookie deal was 25%.

I agree about the rest though.
they have John Wall at 17M a year- a STEAL- and they cant put anything remotely decent around him.

Bradley Beal is not a #2 guy in this league. Otto Porter and Marcin Gortat are simply not top level role players.

until they bring some real talent and help and put it around Wall- they arent gonna win. They just look awful this year. Its not like you can bury yourself in November and just make a comeback in today's East either....

(not in any particular ordeR)
(1) Toronto, (2) Boston, (3) Indiana, (4) Chicago, (5) Charlotte, (6) Detroit, (7) Atlanta, (8) Cleveland, are all good teams.

Milwaukee and the Bricks are mediocre teams. The only teams that really arent that good in the East are Miami, orlando, nets and sixers....if the Wizards think they can just turn it on and make the playoffs in the East they are mistaken. I dont know what the solution is in Washington. Its not good right now and you just dont know how long John Wall is gonna put up with it before he asks for a change of scenery.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have John Wall at 17M a year- a STEAL- and they cant put anything remotely decent around him.

Totally agree. I was just pointing out that his contract is about bad timing/unfortunate timing rather than some kind of disrespect.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't look now but the Wiz are playing much better now. Won 7 of 10. Currently 6th in the East

2 games behind Charlotte for 4th

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't look now but the Wiz are playing much better now. Won 7 of 10. Currently 6th in the East

2 games behind Charlotte for 4th

Porter has some how developed into a very good player. For so long he looked like he was just gonna be some nondescript average dude that lasted in the NBA for year but never really made an impact. But outta nowhere over the last month he's been really damn good