• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What I would do if I ran the Wizards

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying this for a long time, and now some of you are starting to believe me. Although they have plenty of competition, I believe the Wizards are the worst run team in the NBA over the last 30 years. They just haven't made very many smart moves that build toward the ultimate goal of having a real contender.

Given the latest injury news, I think it is fair to say it is unrealistic to expect the Wizards to be a legit threat for the duration of the Wall contract. He is untradeable and his contract will prevent the Wizards from building a contender in that span.

So rather than just dump a couple contracts, let's fully embrace it. Let's go Philly style rebuild with the 23/24 season as a realistic target to where we can be competitive again.

Missed opportunity:
Should have dealt Ariza and Green for future picks. Bryant and Satoransky too. Oh well, too late.

Next steps:
1)Trade Bradley Beal this summer- but not just any trade. The return I want is future pics. Distant future picks of the unprotected variety from a team that might not still be great in a few years. I don't care if we take on bad contracts coming back. But I want as many firsts as possible, starting 3+ years out. I bet we could get 2023, 2025, 2027, 2029 and maybe 2031 from a team like the Rockets. Because I want a trove of picks that might all have a chance to be in the lottery while simultaneously fitting with the window of when my team might be starting to be competitive.

2) tank it up- let's take on bad contracts to buy future picks. Let's put out a D league roster to maximize value of our own picks. Let's flip any asset we can to acquire more future picks, like Cleveland has done this year. But let's also try to balance it all with as many high character guys as we can find. Because as we start to put young pieces in place, a positive locker room culture is vital, especially as losses mount.

3) preserve cap space for 2023- this is when we might be a player in free agency. Stockpile assets, build a positive culture and wait for Wall to come off the books. By then we should have 5-7+ quality prospects on rookie deals (hopefully at least 1-2 future stars) and cap space to sign an established FA or 2.

If done right, the Wizards will be really bad for the next few years, but could come out the other side with a bevy of young pieces and future picks to build a contender.

Of course, I won't hold my breath because they will probably do the exact opposite of this.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything you say is right on, IMO... that's what the Wizards should be aiming for and trying to do.

With regards to your "Next Step #1" though... I think it's easier said than done. After what the Celtics did to the Nets in that Pierce/Garnett trade, I think most every team is gonna be a lot more leery of giving up unprotected first round picks... especially multiple unprotected first round picks... even if they're years out.

The general policy of tanking, hoarding draft picks and a willingness to take on crap contracts if it means better future prospects is absolutely the right way to go, though.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well obviously you won't be getting any picks from 2029. LOL.

But your approach is pretty sound. But you can't rely on just one trade to get a huge haul. The Process was about constantly making moves to build assets. AND being terrible.

I don't think the NBA would allow another Process level tank though.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First and foremost, find Grunfeld's stash of pictures of Leonsis with young live boys and young dead girls and destroy them so that Leonsis will finally fire him. At this point he is approaching Isiah level immortality.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryant is a promising player, wish the Lakers could have kept him.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they should but it will just start over again. You need management that knows what they are doing. Go hire David Griffin for the GM, make a big move in the F.O. so at least you they can make the right moves.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying this for a long time, and now some of you are starting to believe me. Although they have plenty of competition, I believe the Wizards are the worst run team in the NBA over the last 30 years. They just haven't made very many smart moves that build toward the ultimate goal of having a real contender.

Given the latest injury news, I think it is fair to say it is unrealistic to expect the Wizards to be a legit threat for the duration of the Wall contract. He is untradeable and his contract will prevent the Wizards from building a contender in that span.

So rather than just dump a couple contracts, let's fully embrace it. Let's go Philly style rebuild with the 23/24 season as a realistic target to where we can be competitive again.

Missed opportunity:
Should have dealt Ariza and Green for future picks. Bryant and Satoransky too. Oh well, too late.

Next steps:
1)Trade Bradley Beal this summer- but not just any trade. The return I want is future pics. Distant future picks of the unprotected variety from a team that might not still be great in a few years. I don't care if we take on bad contracts coming back. But I want as many firsts as possible, starting 3+ years out. I bet we could get 2023, 2025, 2027, 2029 and maybe 2031 from a team like the Rockets. Because I want a trove of picks that might all have a chance to be in the lottery while simultaneously fitting with the window of when my team might be starting to be competitive.

2) tank it up- let's take on bad contracts to buy future picks. Let's put out a D league roster to maximize value of our own picks. Let's flip any asset we can to acquire more future picks, like Cleveland has done this year. But let's also try to balance it all with as many high character guys as we can find. Because as we start to put young pieces in place, a positive locker room culture is vital, especially as losses mount.

3) preserve cap space for 2023- this is when we might be a player in free agency. Stockpile assets, build a positive culture and wait for Wall to come off the books. By then we should have 5-7+ quality prospects on rookie deals (hopefully at least 1-2 future stars) and cap space to sign an established FA or 2.

If done right, the Wizards will be really bad for the next few years, but could come out the other side with a bevy of young pieces and future picks to build a contender.

Of course, I won't hold my breath because they will probably do the exact opposite of this.
Are they hiring Costanza?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryant is a promising player, wish the Lakers could have kept him.

I was surprised they kept Zubac over him after Zu's poor season last year.

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised they kept Zubac over him after Zu's poor season last year.

Yeah, but Zu showed promise over the last month or so....before he got traded.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they hiring Costanza?

The Wizards...

051e16a04016c6117b2e7b2ff961c68a.jpg

tlance...

4233dd784f4dfd5d62f4001526d10465.jpg

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Missed opportunity:

Next steps:

1. As someone else stated- its incredibly rare to get those kind of picks anymore. Plus, its a hard sell for a GM to trade away an All Star caliber player for picks that the GM will maybe/likely never use.

2. As someone else stated- the Philly Process was a LOT of pain for a LOT of years. The Cavs are doing it but at most its going to only be 1-2 years and they had to frame it over the summer as they were competing. The league is going to really frown upon this type of thing going forward- especially if it is done for multiple years. It is not going to be an easy thing to get away with.

3. Its kind of hard to rent out cap space when 1/3 of your cap is basically dead with John Wall.

You have the basic ideas right but the implementation of those ideas in your post is just incredibly unrealistic.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. As someone else stated- its incredibly rare to get those kind of picks anymore. Plus, its a hard sell for a GM to trade away an All Star caliber player for picks that the GM will maybe/likely never use.

2. As someone else stated- the Philly Process was a LOT of pain for a LOT of years. The Cavs are doing it but at most its going to only be 1-2 years and they had to frame it over the summer as they were competing. The league is going to really frown upon this type of thing going forward- especially if it is done for multiple years. It is not going to be an easy thing to get away with.

3. Its kind of hard to rent out cap space when 1/3 of your cap is basically dead with John Wall.

You have the basic ideas right but the implementation of those ideas in your post is just incredibly unrealistic.

There it is.

Rockets offered 4 firsts for 5 months of Jimmy Butler, who doesn't even fit them as well as Beal does.

There will be some desperate teams out there this summer who think they are a Beal away. Especially if KD leaves GS.

I don't think it is terribly unrealistic that someone might be willing to make a deal like this. Especially if the Wizards were willing to take back a multiyear bad contract in the deal. Difficult to find the right team perhaps, but Not unrealistic at all.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they should but it will just start over again. You need management that knows what they are doing. Go hire David Griffin for the GM, make a big move in the F.O. so at least you they can make the right moves.

Don't know if Griffin is the right fit.

I would gladly take Hinkie though!

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stretch wall?

Maybe? Lol

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There it is.

Rockets offered 4 firsts for 5 months of Jimmy Butler, who doesn't even fit them as well as Beal does.

There will be some desperate teams out there this summer who think they are a Beal away. Especially if KD leaves GS.

I don't think it is terribly unrealistic that someone might be willing to make a deal like this. Especially if the Wizards were willing to take back a multiyear bad contract in the deal. Difficult to find the right team perhaps, but Not unrealistic at all.
you think those were going to be unprotected?!?!? cmon now.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAvid Aldridge, in his article, suggested a couple offers for Beal

one was to the Twolves for their upcoming 1st rounder- top 5 protected, Jeff Teague, and a young player like Okogie

he suggested the Knicks for their pick, top 5 protected, and Ntilikina and Trier

maybe the Lakers decide not to pursue Davis- or Davis gets trded elsewhere and hte Lakerse offer something like Ingram, Ball and a first.

Magic could be interesting- offering their pick, top 5 protected, and a good young player--- maybe Bamba is the Wiz got lucky- id def take that if i was the Wiz.

it will be interesting to see what happens. The Wiz just said that Beal is not going anyhwere, but we know how fast that can change.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have now traded three second-rounders (2020, 2022 and 2023) in salary-dumping moves just this season.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAvid Aldridge, in his article, suggested a couple offers for Beal

one was to the Twolves for their upcoming 1st rounder- top 5 protected, Jeff Teague, and a young player like Okogie

he suggested the Knicks for their pick, top 5 protected, and Ntilikina and Trier

maybe the Lakers decide not to pursue Davis- or Davis gets trded elsewhere and hte Lakerse offer something like Ingram, Ball and a first.

Magic could be interesting- offering their pick, top 5 protected, and a good young player--- maybe Bamba is the Wiz got lucky- id def take that if i was the Wiz.

it will be interesting to see what happens. The Wiz just said that Beal is not going anyhwere, but we know how fast that can change.

I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon either. But I don't like and if those packages. Not that they aren't fair, just don't like the structure.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would trade Beal to the Thunder for Alex Abrinas, but maybe that’s just me.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your first move should have been changing the name back to the Bullets