• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How much will the Seahawks regress without Earl Thomas?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to the Seattle spin zone. It's a vortex and almost impossible to get out from it.
Too...Much...Irony...........Hurting..Brain........

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too...Much...Irony...........Hurting..Brain........

It's a vortex. Or a black hole of irony, pulling all light and matter into it.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The legion of bitches won't have the refs to bail them out this week.
LOL, I'm not too sure the Hawks need the refs today. Actually this game could get ugly for the Hawks and they could lose.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't play two weeks ago and they lost to the Bucs. Of course, the Bucs play better defense than the undermanned Packers, so this weekend is still very winnable.

Obviously, I gave Seattle too much credit. What a laugher...

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nada did not miss him at all!

The pass rush sucked real bad though. I thoiught the Seattle D had a better pass rush as it would be hard to admit the Pack O line is one of the best in the league which has been giving Rodgers lots of time to throw this season. The Packers back ups on the O line would be wanted as starters for Seattle

Other than the coverage sack late in the game Seattle has not had one sack in the last 3 weeks.

Takeaways from Seahawks 38-10 loss to Packers - Dec. 11, 2016 | Seattle's Sports Radio 950 KJR

2. Earl Thomas' absence not sole reason for defensive struggles.

While losing Thomas to a broken leg last week was a massive blow, his absence was not the reason for Green Bay's offensive success on Sunday.

Thomas' replacement, Steven Terrell, had a solid and uneventful game.

It had no impact," Carroll said of Thomas' absence. "Steven Terrell didn't have a play to make all night long. The ball never "even went near him."

Green Bay didn't go after him downfield with seam routes or posts to test him in coverage. Instead, Aaron Rodgers went after Seattle's cornerbacks when they were in man-to-man and beat linebackers in zone. Rodgers was also frequently able to extend plays until coverage broke down.

When his receivers won 1-on-1 matchups, Rodgers made Seattle pay almost every time. Davante Adams beat Jeremy Lane for a 66-yard touchdown on the opening drive.

Seattle will undoubtedly miss Thomas in the back end of their defense. He's too good of a player to be able to replace without a loss. However, his absence was not the reason the Packers were so successful against the Seahawks on Sunday.

A big reason for that was...

3. Seattle's pass rush has disappeared.

Until Ahtyba Rubin managed a coverage sack of Rodgers in the third quarter, Seattle had not managed a sack in three weeks.

They had not recorded sacks against either Tampa Bay or Carolina the previous two weeks. Despite the return of Michael Bennett, Seattle has not been able to get after opposing quarterbacks with consistency.

"I think probably we're going to be really disappointed in rushing the passer because obviously he was back there all night long," Carroll said.

"We didn't rush the passer very well. We were nowhere near him."

Blitzing Rodgers isn't a great idea either. His career numbers show he's even better against the blitz than he is against standard four-man pass rush. The problem for Seattle was they were unable to pressure Rodgers with their front four.

Outside of Rubin's sack, the Seahawks hit Rodgers just twice. Cliff Avril managed a pair of hit on Rodgers but the rest of the group didn't get close. Rodgers frequently had time in the pocket and the time to extend the play to wait for Seattle's coverage to break down.

In theory, having Bennett back to team with Avril, Frank Clark and Cassius Marsh should result in a more potent pass rush. Even more that Wilson's horrendous day, Seattle's continued lack of pass rush may be the most concerning development from the loss in Green Bay.

Read more: Takeaways from Seahawks 38-10 loss to Packers - Dec. 11, 2016 | Seattle's Sports Radio 950 KJR

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I'm not too sure the Hawks need the refs today. Actually this game could get ugly for the Hawks and they could lose.

They needed more than the replacement refs if they wanted to win today. They needed divine intervention. I'm talking angels in the outfield shit on roids.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so funny reading the Seattle sports media after this game. Who the fuck is this guy named "The Groz."

I mean even he says they just lost to the worst defense in the league. How the hell can you get your ass kicked by the worst defense in the league. These morons need to actually pay attention to what is going on. This defense tonight is not the same defense that lost 4 in a row playing the 5th and 6th team corner backs.

3 weeks now not allowing more than 13 points. I know I was told this last week that to 2 previous weeks the opponents were week so they could only score limited points from Seahawk fans. What is the reason this 3rd week in a row that they held the opponent to 13 or less as I am sure it isnt because it was a week opponent?

You get injured players back you should get better maybe? But nobody pays attention to that

here was his comments after the game:

710 ESPN Seattle's instant reaction to Seahawks' 38-10 loss to Packers

Dave “The Groz” Grosby of “Bob, Groz and Tom”

It’s been many years since the Seahawks looked like this. It’s a testament to their recent great play that a performance like Sundays really jumps out. Russell Wilson’s response will be the key going forward. He had one of his worst games as a pro against perhaps the worst defense in the league (though his receivers didn’t help much). In the Wilson era, we have never had the chance to see how this Seahawks team would react to getting blown out. For 94 straight games, that didn’t matter. Now it does.

Last edited:

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brady Henderson, Editor in Chief of 710Sports.com

It would be easy to point to the absence of Earl Thomas as the biggest reason for one of the Seahawks’ worst defensive performances in recent memory, but that wouldn’t be accurate. That doesn’t explain why Jeremy Lane and DeShawn Shead let receivers get behind them off the line of scrimmage, which is a cardinal sin for cornerbacks in Seattle’s defense. Nor would it explain why the Seahawks couldn’t generate much of a pass-rush, finishing with only one sack despite Aaron Rodgers being visibly hobbled. Some of Seattle’s defenders – I noticed K.J. Wright and Richard Sherman specifically – also seemed to have some problems with their footing at Lambeau Field. The Seahawks will miss Thomas, to be sure. He’s a once-in-a-generation safety who eliminates so many big plays with his speed and experience. But I don’t think that was the issue in this game.

Jim Moore of “Danny, Dave and Moore”

It didn’t seem like the Seahawks missed Earl Thomas as much as they missed Russell Wilson. I know he played, but that could not have been the Russell Wilson we’ve seen for the past four years. You saw it, he’s never been worse. How could he go from throwing two interceptions in the first 10 games to five Sunday and eight in his last three games? And as strange as it seems, Wilson played better when he was hurt, whether it was a sprained knee, sprained ankle, torn pec or dealing with all three at the same time. Back in those days, not that long ago, he couldn’t scramble, but he was still finding his receivers. Then yesterday, he got off to a poor start by overthrowing Doug Baldwin and Jimmy Graham on what would have been a pair of touchdowns had he not air-mailed his intended receivers. The defense wasn’t much better, only sacking Aaron Rodgers once and rarely putting any pressure on a Packers quarterback who was dealing with a strained hamstring and calf. The bright spots? Alex Collins – until he fumbled, and his positive contributions happened when the outcome was no longer in doubt. Arizona lost too, so the Seahawks maintained their three-game lead in the NFC West. And Detroit might have beaten Chicago to replace the Seahawks as the No. 2 NFC seed at 9-4, but the Lions have a rugged schedule the rest of the way, playing at the Giants and at Dallas before ending the season at home against the Packers.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so funny reading the Seattle sports media after this game. Who the fuck is this guy named "The Groz."

I mean even he says they just lost to the worst defense in the league. How the hell can you get your ass kicked by the worst defense in the league. These morons need to actually pay attention to what is going on. This defense tonight is not the same defense that lost 4 in a row playing the 5th and 6th team corner backs.

3 weeks now not allowing more than 13 points. I know I was told this last week that to 2 previous weeks the opponents were week so they could only score limited points from Seahawk fans. What is the reason this 3rd week in a row that they held the opponent to 13 or less as I am sure it isnt because it was a week opponent?

here was his comments after the game:

Dave “The Groz” Grosby of “Bob, Groz and Tom”

It’s been many years since the Seahawks looked like this. It’s a testament to their recent great play that a performance like Sundays really jumps out. Russell Wilson’s response will be the key going forward. He had one of his worst games as a pro against perhaps the worst defense in the league (though his receivers didn’t help much). In the Wilson era, we have never had the chance to see how this Seahawks team would react to getting blown out. For 94 straight games, that didn’t matter. Now it does.

Seattle Radio announcers are ignorant. I moved to Seattle in the late 90's and they literally know zilch or very little about what goes on outside of their own world. When they made the GP/Ray Allen Trade they were calling it the worst trade ever and it ended up as the best trades in Sonics history and made them relevant again. I was calling in their 950 AM station telling them that Ray is a phenomenal player and at the time top 3 at the SG position and GP was washed up and they fucking hung up on me.

Also, when they selected RW nearly every fucking moron called it a mistake or terrible draft choice. Well I told them RW played in a similar pro style offense with the Badgers that had a gigantic O-line and despite his height he only had 3 balls batted down at the LOS. Plus I told them his QB rating was one of the best of all time and he's a great runner but smart enough to not take the big hit. He was named the Captain of the team before he even played one fucking game so he was a true leader, athletic, smart, and efficient. Most announcers couldn't see passed the fact that he's under six feet tall.

When GB's D was injured they were one of the worst D's in the league but the last three games they've regained their health and have been a top 5 defense in that stretch. I stopped listening to the Seattle radio morons years ago.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They needed more than the replacement refs if they wanted to win today. They needed divine intervention. I'm talking angels in the outfield shit on roids.
Yep!! I had a feeling before the game, that it was going to be a ugly day for the Hawks.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500,000.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a difference a week makes. After last Sunday night, Seahawks fans were feeling pretty good after wiping the floor with a Carolina team that was without several of their key defensive players, including Keuchly.

This week, they looked like cold cat barf against an average defense and QB who could barely walk.

Should be an interesting Thursday night game, as the Rams have had their number. But the game being in Seattle, I'm guessing a pissed off group of Seahawks blows them out.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nada did not miss him at all!

The pass rush sucked real bad though. I thoiught the Seattle D had a better pass rush as it would be hard to admit the Pack O line is one of the best in the league which has been giving Rodgers lots of time to throw this season. The Packers back ups on the O line would be wanted as starters for Seattle

Other than the coverage sack late in the game Seattle has not had one sack in the last 3 weeks.

Takeaways from Seahawks 38-10 loss to Packers - Dec. 11, 2016 | Seattle's Sports Radio 950 KJR

2. Earl Thomas' absence not sole reason for defensive struggles.

While losing Thomas to a broken leg last week was a massive blow, his absence was not the reason for Green Bay's offensive success on Sunday.

Thomas' replacement, Steven Terrell, had a solid and uneventful game.

It had no impact," Carroll said of Thomas' absence. "Steven Terrell didn't have a play to make all night long. The ball never "even went near him."

Green Bay didn't go after him downfield with seam routes or posts to test him in coverage. Instead, Aaron Rodgers went after Seattle's cornerbacks when they were in man-to-man and beat linebackers in zone. Rodgers was also frequently able to extend plays until coverage broke down.

When his receivers won 1-on-1 matchups, Rodgers made Seattle pay almost every time. Davante Adams beat Jeremy Lane for a 66-yard touchdown on the opening drive.

Seattle will undoubtedly miss Thomas in the back end of their defense. He's too good of a player to be able to replace without a loss. However, his absence was not the reason the Packers were so successful against the Seahawks on Sunday.

A big reason for that was...

3. Seattle's pass rush has disappeared.

Until Ahtyba Rubin managed a coverage sack of Rodgers in the third quarter, Seattle had not managed a sack in three weeks.

They had not recorded sacks against either Tampa Bay or Carolina the previous two weeks. Despite the return of Michael Bennett, Seattle has not been able to get after opposing quarterbacks with consistency.

"I think probably we're going to be really disappointed in rushing the passer because obviously he was back there all night long," Carroll said.

"We didn't rush the passer very well. We were nowhere near him."

Blitzing Rodgers isn't a great idea either. His career numbers show he's even better against the blitz than he is against standard four-man pass rush. The problem for Seattle was they were unable to pressure Rodgers with their front four.

Outside of Rubin's sack, the Seahawks hit Rodgers just twice. Cliff Avril managed a pair of hit on Rodgers but the rest of the group didn't get close. Rodgers frequently had time in the pocket and the time to extend the play to wait for Seattle's coverage to break down.

In theory, having Bennett back to team with Avril, Frank Clark and Cassius Marsh should result in a more potent pass rush. Even more that Wilson's horrendous day, Seattle's continued lack of pass rush may be the most concerning development from the loss in Green Bay.

Read more: Takeaways from Seahawks 38-10 loss to Packers - Dec. 11, 2016 | Seattle's Sports Radio 950 KJR
On a positive note Russell Wilson took all the blame. What a stand up guy.