• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Much is Too Much??

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston Sports Tonight had a great discussion last night. Apparently the Denver Broncos are going to release a few players and one of note is Aqib Talib. alib originally was drafted by and played for the Tampa Bay Bucs. He then went to the Patriots for a year, became a free agent and signed with the Denver Broncos. He's due $11.5M this coming year and the Broncos feel that the money being paid to him could be better spent on someone else, possibly Kirk Cousins or another QB. Talib is 32 years old and the general concensus is that he will land in New England or Tampa Bay. But....and it's a big but, how much will he want and how much is too much?? Considering the franchise numbers and the contracts that younger players are getting, is a former All Pro worth as much at the end of his career as a player in his prime?
Is that veteran knowledge and skill worth the speed and athleticism of a younger player? Can a 32 year old veteran play to the level of a $12-$15m A year contract?? How much of a multi-year contract could be risked as guaranteed?? How many years would a team be willing to give a 32 year old cornerback?

Talib does not appear to have lost much over the past few years. He's played at a high level. If he is cut, should the Patriots go after him? Would he be willing to take less money than Stephon Gilmore?? Would Talib and Gilmore in the same secondary make it one of the NFL Elite??

So the question then becomes...............How much is too much?? And is it worth that much??

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow the salary cap too closely nor do I pay much attention to players salaries. That said, I have a hard time seeing the Pats with two high priced corners. It would have to be a pretty significant cut for Talib to end up back on the Pats and it just seems doubtful IMO.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Aqib back in New England and wish he hadn't gotten away.
But not for $11.5 mil.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His market rate is still north of $10m per IMO. I'd predict he'll go to KC to replace Peters to stick it to Denver and yank Crabtree's chain 2x a year.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see him back, but at how much?? Have to wait and see what the market it. The market might not be big as many think. He could go back to TB as I believe that Grimes and his wife are retiring...so they might have the cash. Does Talib want to win a SB?? Well NE gives him that chance. IMO...they keep Rowe as the 2nd CB and draft a CB with one of their 1st 3 picks. CB is supposed to be pretty decent.