• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How much is too much for Bogut?

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
totally agree with you. We need Bogut....can't replace big man inside

OT: I want to marry your Avatar, I'll promise to be faithful until something better comes along.

:nod::nod::nod:

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
An incentive-laden contract is interesting because if he hits them he'll be worth it. I don't understand how incentives work with respect to the cap and luxury tax though. Wouldn't you have to count the maximum possible incentive against the cap? Otherwise, why wouldn't teams pay someone a salary of $1 with a $15M "incentive" if they play 1 game (for example)?

There's also the potential problem of the incentives creating strife between the coach and player though. Let's say Bogut has a minor injury. Maybe Jackson and ownership wants to hold him out for a few games to make sure the minor injury doesn't turn into a major one. If this happens several times (as it has already with Bogut, Curry, and others), now the player may see coaching/ownership screwing him out of several million dollars, when he feels like he can play. I don't know, there are some traps there that might not be good for morale.

Well, we don't really have to worry about what might happen because NBA contracts cannot have a "games played" incentive. The only incentives that are allowed in contracts are for team goals or individual goals with specific numerical benchmarks (PPG or team wins) or most standard league awards (MVP, Finals MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, Sixth Man, Most Improved Player etc)

The NBA does not allow incentives based on the player being on the team's roster on a specific date or for a specific number of games.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And for the record, I would give Bogut two guaranteed years with a third, team-option year. I would not guarantee all three years with his health record.

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record, I would give Bogut two guaranteed years with a third, team-option year. I would not guarantee all three years with his health record.
Well, I sort of agree with you. There are two problems though: there are certainly other teams who will offer 3 guaranteed years, and if you go 2 years, you'll have to pay more per year. And as I have said, I don't see not re-signing Bogut as a good option, in fact it's a very bad option because we would be very unlikely to be able to replace what he gives, even injured.

So if he gets 3 years, you might be able to get him for $12M-$13M per year. If only 2 years are guaranteed, it's probably going to be closer to $14M per year. Which I would actually be OK with, but I don't know how Bogut or the Warriors would feel about that.

I would rather sign Bogut to that kind of big money and then take my chances shopping David Lee for relief (if necessary), than have to try to find a center who doesn't completely suck. There just aren't many even competent ones out there. We might be able to make the playoffs without Bogut, but we aren't going anywhere in the playoffs without Bogut.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most amount of years Bogut can sign on an extension is 3 years. That being said if I'm the Warriors I give him two contract offers:

1) 3 year - 36M deal(12M annually). Fully guaranteed. No game incentives or opt out clauses for the Warriors based on games played by Bogut.

2) 3 year - 42M deal(14M annually). The deal would have an annual salary of 10M. If he plays 55 games, he gets a bonus of 2M. If he plays 65 games, he gets an additional 2M bonus. Total amount could average 14M a year.

Both deals have their pro's and con's. I think if we're able to get 65 games out of Bogut a year during the regular season, the Warriors could easily land a playoff spot and the contract would be well worth it.

Nailed it.

Bogut signs 3 year extension worth 36M. Could be pushed up to 42M with incentives.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good deal for both sides

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that is great news! $12M per is about the best I was hoping for, excellent deal. I didn't want to see this drag on into the season without resolution, glad they got it taken care of.

Listening to Myers on the 680 with Woodson, apparently its a "descending deal" and its front loaded.

So basically, he's getting 14 mil this year, this maybe 15, 13, and then 11 perhaps? They didn't announce the #'s yet, but it can't be too far from it.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we don't really have to worry about what might happen because NBA contracts cannot have a "games played" incentive. The only incentives that are allowed in contracts are for team goals or individual goals with specific numerical benchmarks (PPG or team wins) or most standard league awards (MVP, Finals MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, Sixth Man, Most Improved Player etc)

The NBA does not allow incentives based on the player being on the team's roster on a specific date or for a specific number of games.

Maybe it wasn't strictly an incentive based contract, but apparently there's language about "games played" and aswell as reaching "performance levels"

Either way 3 years at 36 million seems like a fair deal, my only concern is in 2 years when we have to re up on Klay/HB/FE/and Green, I'm guessing one of them aren't going to be here?

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good deal for both sides talented big men like bogut don't come around often.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can stay healthy during this 3-year deal it would be great for both him and the Warriors. A healthy Bogut puts them in the higher rankings in the West.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad they re-signed him. Hope he can stay healthy. Can't remember the last good big man the Warriors had.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad they re-signed him. Hope he can stay healthy. Can't remember the last good big man the Warriors had.

Marc Jackson?

Erik Stonehands Dampier?

Ronny Seikaly would probably be the closest thing since 1990.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking Robert Parrish

Yep. It really has been that long.

I see this as one of the few contracts that works for everyone involved. Front loading it and adding incentives works. It also allows him to go out and play hard without having to worry about himself over the team (especially considering his incentives are on the defensive end of the court).

After all, he's a center that can at the very least play defense and pass. And at the most do a whole hell of a lot more than that. The signing doesn't jeopardize re-signing Klay or Barnes and it keeps him as a trade piece in case something else pops up later or Festus takes a huge leap forward in the next couple of years.

BTW...Take a look at the free agent center pool for next year... We would've had to pay that much to keep him anyway. No way I want any of those guys as my starting Center.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless your owners are prepared to possibly pay luxury tax for a couple years if need be, I think this is too much guaranteed money.

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless your owners are prepared to possibly pay luxury tax for a couple years if need be, I think this is too much guaranteed money.

So who would you like to go get to play center? And how many playoff games will that team win?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bogut's deal has been frontloaded to allow the Warriors to have the financial flexibility to extend Klay. After that when it's time for Barnes' extension, David Lee's contract will be coming off the books. I think the Warriors management has done a great job of maneuvering around the cap.