• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How much is too much for Bogut?

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If D. Cousins can get a 4/ $62 mil deal, what is Bogut worth to the Dubs?

I'm guessing 3 years probably is the most LaGruber/Myers offers.

3/$36 mil (must hit 220 games? regular season + playoffs?)

Dubs are pretty much at the luxury tax this year, could they get Bogut to sign a 3 year/$30 mil or something cheaper to guarantee he'll get paid? Waiting til the end of the year, would be risky. A full "healthy year" could land Bogut a better deal elsewhere.

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think $12M per year is probably a minimum. If he's healthy, he should get $13M-$15M per year as a free agent, so discounting a little for "I want to be here" and for health questions (which will linger even if he appears healthy), I think something in the $12M-$13M range per year sounds about right. I don't think much less than $12M/yr. is realistic, unless perhaps there is a 4th year added. Matching Curry's deal for $44M/4 years doesn't sound all that bad, although with Curry, Iguodala, Barnes, and Ezeli coming off the books in 3 years after this one, that seems the most likely contract length.

The bottom line is the Warriors really need to sign Bogut to an extension because despite the questions, the options if he walks are even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all depends on how he plays this season - I'm sure his camp wants to get a deal done but at the same time if he stays healthy he can get a lot more $

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think $12M per year is probably a minimum. If he's healthy, he should get $13M-$15M per year as a free agent, so discounting a little for "I want to be here" and for health questions (which will linger even if he appears healthy), I think something in the $12M-$13M range per year sounds about right. I don't think much less than $12M/yr. is realistic, unless perhaps there is a 4th year added. Matching Curry's deal for $44M/4 years doesn't sound all that bad, although with Curry, Iguodala, Barnes, and Ezeli coming off the books in 3 years after this one, that seems the most likely contract length.

The bottom line is the Warriors really need to sign Bogut to an extension because despite the questions, the options if he walks are even worse.

:agree:

Apparently Marcus agrees with you aswell

If we let Bogut walk, basically we traded one of more valuable pieces in Ellis for a 1.5 year rental and are back to square one as a franchise.

Curry/Iggy/Klay/HB/D.Lee still compete for the 8th spot, but in terms of loftier goals, we need Bogut and/or another big to dominate. JO isn't getting any younger. Speights/FE aren't the answer.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most amount of years Bogut can sign on an extension is 3 years. That being said if I'm the Warriors I give him two contract offers:

1) 3 year - 36M deal(12M annually). Fully guaranteed. No game incentives or opt out clauses for the Warriors based on games played by Bogut.

2) 3 year - 42M deal(14M annually). The deal would have an annual salary of 10M. If he plays 55 games, he gets a bonus of 2M. If he plays 65 games, he gets an additional 2M bonus. Total amount could average 14M a year.

Both deals have their pro's and con's. I think if we're able to get 65 games out of Bogut a year during the regular season, the Warriors could easily land a playoff spot and the contract would be well worth it.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most amount of years Bogut can sign on an extension is 3 years. That being said if I'm the Warriors I give him two contract offers:

1) 3 year - 36M deal(12M annually). Fully guaranteed. No game incentives or opt out clauses for the Warriors based on games played by Bogut.

2) 3 year - 42M deal(14M annually). The deal would have an annual salary of 10M. If he plays 55 games, he gets a bonus of 2M. If he plays 65 games, he gets an additional 2M bonus. Total amount could average 14M a year.

Both deals have their pro's and con's. I think if we're able to get 65 games out of Bogut a year during the regular season, the Warriors could easily land a playoff spot and the contract would be well worth it.

At this point in his career he'll be looking for a 4th year. I'm thinking he'll push for a 4 years 40M with the chance to stretch it to 45M based on incentives

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in his career he'll be looking for a 4th year. I'm thinking he'll push for a 4 years 40M with the chance to stretch it to 45M based on incentives

In this article it says that the max length he can sign an extension for is 3 years. I haven't read it anywhere else, and I'm not great with the CBA and cap stuff. The article is a good read though on the whole Bogut situation

The Andrew Bogut Conundrum: What Will the Warriors Do With Their Center? - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An incentive-laden contract is interesting because if he hits them he'll be worth it. I don't understand how incentives work with respect to the cap and luxury tax though. Wouldn't you have to count the maximum possible incentive against the cap? Otherwise, why wouldn't teams pay someone a salary of $1 with a $15M "incentive" if they play 1 game (for example)?

There's also the potential problem of the incentives creating strife between the coach and player though. Let's say Bogut has a minor injury. Maybe Jackson and ownership wants to hold him out for a few games to make sure the minor injury doesn't turn into a major one. If this happens several times (as it has already with Bogut, Curry, and others), now the player may see coaching/ownership screwing him out of several million dollars, when he feels like he can play. I don't know, there are some traps there that might not be good for morale.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more I think we have to get Bogut to resign at all costs.

1) 2011-13 La Tax
2) Mikki Moore
3) Anthony Randolph
4) Brandon Wright
5) Troy Murphy
6) Erik Dampier
7) Adonal Foyle

Just to name a few Centers that occupied the paint for us for the last 7-8 years. Where did we get with those guys manning the paint? NOT FAR.

3 yr $42 mil guaranteed, incentives for 3 years $50 mil sounds agreeable.

Many posters thought trading Ellis for Bogut was a mistake, I believe the Dubs have proved that wrong. SG's are easier to replace than a decent 5.

1) Ellis
2) Sjax
3) Jrich
4) Larry Hughes

They were replaceable.

Ge'er Done LaGruber/Myers/West

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogut is still relatively young I think, and if he can stay healthy is a very effective Center. Should be worth more than Cousins, talent-wise, I'm just afraid he'll break down and the Dubs will have to eat that contract while getting nothing in return.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more I think we have to get Bogut to resign at all costs.

1) 2011-13 La Tax
2) Mikki Moore
3) Anthony Randolph
4) Brandon Wright
5) Troy Murphy
6) Erik Dampier
7) Adonal Foyle

Just to name a few Centers that occupied the paint for us for the last 7-8 years. Where did we get with those guys manning the paint? NOT FAR.

Many posters thought trading Ellis for Bogut was a mistake, I believe the Dubs have proved that wrong. SG's are easier to replace than a decent 5.

1) Ellis
2) Sjax
3) Jrich
4) Larry Hughes

They were replaceable.

The Center position is the one you will always overpay for in the NBA. There's no getting around it. It's the sole reason that Bogut, who has played less than 50 games combined the last two years is looking at a contract probably in excess of 12M per year. A guy who has had two major injuries in his career has the leverage in this situation. It's crazy.

The best part about our situation though is that the role players are coming cheaper. We no longer have to give guys Derek Fisher 36M, Corey Maggette 40M and Adonal Foyle 48M. We can finally be a top heavy team in terms of salary, instead of just overpaying everyone.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Concern?

I believe the Coach said the same thing last year when Bogut got hurt. Houston we may have a problem.

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fortunately nothing is better healing for an ailing lower back than 14 hours in a commercial plane seat. :doh:

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fortunately nothing is better healing for an ailing lower back than 14 hours in a commercial plane seat. :doh:

According to what I've read, they are going from Shanghai to Alaska 9 hours, then flying back to California 5 hours.

Strange way to go, I've done the trip in 11-12 hours one shot from HK I think.

Either way they'll have it better than me, I've flown Economy class with babies screaming all around me. That's truly a horrible experience.

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) 2011-13 La Tax
2) Mikki Moore
3) Anthony Randolph
4) Brandon Wright
5) Troy Murphy
6) Erik Dampier
7) Adonal Foyle

1) Ellis
2) Sjax
3) Jrich
4) Larry Hughes

They were replaceable.

totally agree with you. We need Bogut....can't replace big man inside

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta keep an eye out for the Big Aussie. His ankle is the primary concern, but now his back? Man I hope this guy can at least play 50 games this season.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta keep an eye out for the Big Aussie. His ankle is the primary concern, but now his back? Man I hope this guy can at least play 50 games this season.

He said it was more of a pinch in the hip and glute, not a back spasm, which makes me feel better. Those long plane rides and bus rides, its not surprising it caused him so discomfort. As long as the ankle is healthy, I think 60+ games shouldn't be a problem. I'd like to see the warriors extend him now for something around 3/37.5, I think thats fair for both sides. We've seen what a difference maker he can be when not even healthy. If he can maintain his health, then that is a steal of a deal. If he makes it through the whole season healthy and gets to FA, then someone is going to pay him 4/60. Risk/reward, hope the Warriors take the risk.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
According to what I've read, they are going from Shanghai to Alaska 9 hours, then flying back to California 5 hours.

Strange way to go, I've done the trip in 11-12 hours one shot from HK I think.

Either way they'll have it better than me, I've flown Economy class with babies screaming all around me. That's truly a horrible experience.

Yeah, United has a daily flight, direct from Shanghai to SFO, it's about 11 hours or so. Surprised they weren't on it.

Not sure if they were on a chartered flight, or something else. I do know that for work, when we have to get something sent overnight from Shanghai, Fed Ex flies into Anchorage, and then down to SFO. Sounds like the Warriors were on the flight with a lot of boxes coming to the U.S.

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if they were on a chartered flight, or something else. I do know that for work, when we have to get something sent overnight from Shanghai, Fed Ex flies into Anchorage, and then down to SFO. Sounds like the Warriors were on the flight with a lot of boxes coming to the U.S.

The were on the new iPad cargo flight!!