• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How many Cy Youngs does Matt Harvey win?

The Iron Horse

Smartass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, how soon does Matt Harvey get to 300 wins, 10 years? In that span how many Cys does he win? I say 9.

Look the kid is off to a great start, and seems to have great stuff. I have missed all of his outings, and I look forward to watching him. Might even go out to Bailout Fields in good ol' Corona, Queens to check him out. Anyways, the point is, remember, people were ready to proclaim Dice-K as the greatest, and before that, there was Fernando Mania. Heck, what about Doc Gooden? Lets give the kid some room, lets see him do it over a full season, hell, maybe 2 more before we crown him.

As a lifelong Yankees fan, I give you Kevin Maas, google him and you will understand why it is best to let a guy be in the majors for a couple of years before you go hog-wild on him. Yes, so far so good, and yes the Mets can use anything they can as good news. But crowing him to early could lead to problems (ie Gooden).

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but I detect a note of sarcasm in this post. :)

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc Gooden is a bad example since he was a drug addict and all. Obviously injuries can happen (Mark Prior/Kerry Wood anybody?), but all indications are that he should have a great career. It's not like he's a flash in the pan that came out of nowhere. He was a first round pick which means he was solid, then he continued to be top tier in the minors so it shouldn't be a shock to anybody that his success is now carrying over to the majors. I don't think anybody is crowning him a 9 time cy young winner, but the guy is ridiculous.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball breaks your heart more often than not, I don't begrudge any fan base who gets fired up about a young player who brings the possibility of good things to come. I got fired up about Cano early and about Nova, sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.

We're not supposed to sit in the corner and shut up unless we win the World Series are we?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really enjoyed this:

Last edited by a moderator:

dacey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Mark Fidrych of the Tigers. The Bird energized baseball with his antics and his pitching and enthusiasm and then before you really knew him he was gone. Enjoy the ride and dont think too much about tomorrow.

beefman138

I like cheese
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Fidrych was absolutely incredible in his first year - he obviously got the ROY award, but I'm not sure about the CY award that year... 1976, I think it was. R.I.P. The Bird!

Beef

The Iron Horse

Smartass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc Gooden is a bad example since he was a drug addict and all. Obviously injuries can happen (Mark Prior/Kerry Wood anybody?), but all indications are that he should have a great career. It's not like he's a flash in the pan that came out of nowhere. He was a first round pick which means he was solid, then he continued to be top tier in the minors so it shouldn't be a shock to anybody that his success is now carrying over to the majors. I don't think anybody is crowning him a 9 time cy young winner, but the guy is ridiculous.

Read why Doc first got into drugs.

The Iron Horse

Smartass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not supposed to sit in the corner and shut up unless we win the World Series are we?

no, but the stuff I am reading and seeing, and hearing are beyond ridiculous. I mean, he is off to a great start, but I am already hearing stuff about him being the next this guy, and the next that guy. Can we give him some time first? People just love to over hype players. I guess some perspective is in order.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too soon.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh Kevin Maas.

Harvey has looked amazing so far but I am very cautious about mentioning anything about how well he will do for his career.

It was certainly fun last night watching him outpitch Strasburg

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid is off to a great start, but for now, nothing more should be read into that. With a pitcher there are just to many things that can go wrong, injury being the major stumbling block.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, doesn't Tom Verducci have the year after theory? Or something along those lines? Basically any pitcher under the age of 25 that sees an increase of at least 30 innings from the year before, will see a setback the following season.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid is off to a great start, but for now, nothing more should be read into that. With a pitcher there are just to many things that can go wrong, injury being the major stumbling block.

Agreed. I honestly haven't read the stuff about Cy Young or a 300 win projection, but you're right. But oh, what a start. :yahoo:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he was a hoodrat with lots of money in the 80s when everyone was on coke?

For all the hard years he's put in, Doc looked surprisingly young when they showed him last night.

The Cubs fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soto won ROY. Now he isn't much of anything on the Rangers.

The Iron Horse

Smartass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I honestly haven't read the stuff about Cy Young or a 300 win projection, but you're right. But oh, what a start. :yahoo:

I was exaggerating. I have however heard, that by season's end, he will be in the same breath as Verlander and Kershaw. He is the new Clemens. Him and Wheeler will be the best one two punch in baseball. And all other sorts of hyperbole.