• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How does one accurately rate the Cowboys defense?

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to believe at least 25% of remotely aware football fans can tell that the Cowboys defense is getting a big assist thanks to the Cowboys running game. So if you think about it, it's a little tricky to rate a defense that only has to be on the field for 25:17 a game. With that said, how do you rate them? Here's a few stats that aren't effected quite as much by the TOP the Cowboys offense is pulling off as some other stats, i.e. Yds/g:

1.) Yards per play. Dallas allows 6.1 yards per play. That's tied with the Bucs for 31st in the NFL.

2.) Yards per carry. Dallas allows 5.1 yards per carry. That's 31st in the NFL.

3.) 3rd Down conversion percentage. Dallas allows teams to convert on 3rd downs 42% of the time. That makes them about average, placing them in the 14th-16th best in the league.

4.) Completion percentage. QBs are completing 64.3% of their passes against the Cowboys. That's good enough for 14th best in the NFL.

How about some other good ones to help us digest what it is we're actually seeing out there?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite stat is 5-1

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the reasons the Seahawks, and before them, the 49ers, Ravens and Steelers have been the top teams lately, is their defense, but also the style of play from all those teams offenses was built around ball control and winning time of possession. We weren't busting big runs against the Seahawks early yesterday, but were gashing them in the 4th quarter. On the other hand, our D was on the field, what, 22-23 minutes? I don't think there is any doubt that Rod has all the guys on the same page where they can fly to the football, but you have to give our offense an assist when the D is only on the field 5-6 minutes a quarter

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday was amazing. Maybe they did us a favor by not running Lynch more, but I was honestly more worried about Wilson and Harvin running the ball. From not knowing the stats, I would have thought our 3rd down defense was better than 42 percent. The defensive game plan yesterday was just awesome. That's both coaching and the players having to execute. The yards per play is scary and does leave doubt. Now, Spencer is getting healthier and Lawrence and Carter are coming back. We know Carter will help. Yesterday though the Seahawks had two big plays. The pass to Kearse and the run by Lynch. I know that's part of stats and has to be figured in. We have a tendency to give up a couple of these a game. They are playing smart football on that side though so far. I can't think of a 3 rd and 4 - jump off sides yet, knock on wood.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday was amazing. Maybe they did us a favor by not running Lynch more, but I was honestly more worried about Wilson and Harvin running the ball. From not knowing the stats, I would have thought our 3rd down defense was better than 42 percent. The defensive game plan yesterday was just awesome. That's both coaching and the players having to execute. The yards per play is scary and does leave doubt. Now, Spencer is getting healthier and Lawrence and Carter are coming back. We know Carter will help. Yesterday though the Seahawks had two big plays. The pass to Kearse and the run by Lynch. I know that's part of stats and has to be figured in. We have a tendency to give up a couple of these a game. They are playing smart football on that side though so far. I can't think of a 3 rd and 4 - jump off sides yet, knock on wood.

Oh I think there's a lot of assuming that's going on after a 5-1 start, so don't feel too bad about it. If anything, I think this is more of a testament to how good the offense really is right now. Speaking of which, they probably deserve a thread in the near future as well.