• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How do the Patriots do it?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cohen: Great coaching? That must mean that for the last 14 years give or take, no other team in the NFL had great coaching. Maybe that's true. Also, why don't other teams just "plug players' in? How hard can that be? I'd be willing to bet that if you took 10-15 of the most important stats in the NFL - whatever they may be - I don't know - the Patriots would be outliers w all of them. I'm beating a dead horse but they rarely to my eyes make mistakes, never play clunky, don't have superior atheletes, and seem to know what the other team is doing almost always. It is uncanny.

You forget they get 5-6 wins a year handed to them by that crap division. Only then have to win 4 or 5 out of 10 to get to 10 wins. Win 6 of 10 and they are a 11-12 win team.

If they have it so figured out why don't they go to the SuperBowl every year?

Obviously you will never change your opinion but the rest of us don't agree with you. Great coach, great QB, crap division = 10+ wins a year.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cohen: Great coaching? That must mean that for the last 14 years give or take, no other team in the NFL had great coaching.

How is that the conclusion you come to? What it means is that they have better coaching then the teams they play year-in and year out. They're not perfect (although) they were during the regular season once.

You forget they get 5-6 wins a year handed to them by that crap division. Only then have to win 4 or 5 out of 10 to get to 10 wins. Win 6 of 10 and they are a 11-12 win team.

So they go undefeated every year in their division? And they are simply average otherwise? You must forget a few things:
1) Although their division has not been good the last couple of years, but the Jets had a decent run at the beginning of the 2010s and the Dolphins were ok there for awhile (not superbowl contenders)
2) They have been in the top 10 in offensive points scored every year except 1 since 2001 (that's 13 seasons of consistency)
3) They have been in the top 10 in defense points allowed every year except 3 in that same run

I'm a 9ers fan through and through. I have no reason to pull for New England in any scenario unless they're playing Seattle or Dallas. But you shouldn't oversimplify and diminish the run they've been on. They're doing a lot of things right and teams should be trying to do what they do.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that the conclusion you come to? What it means is that they have better coaching then the teams they play year-in and year out. They're not perfect (although) they were during the regular season once.

So they go undefeated every year in their division? And they are simply average otherwise? You must forget a few things:
1) Although their division has not been good the last couple of years, but the Jets had a decent run at the beginning of the 2010s and the Dolphins were ok there for awhile (not superbowl contenders)
2) They have been in the top 10 in offensive points scored every year except 1 since 2001 (that's 13 seasons of consistency)
3) They have been in the top 10 in defense points allowed every year except 3 in that same run

I'm a 9ers fan through and through. I have no reason to pull for New England in any scenario unless they're playing Seattle or Dallas. But you shouldn't oversimplify and diminish the run they've been on. They're doing a lot of things right and teams should be trying to do what they do.

I bet they have gone undefeated in their division quite often in this era, and won 5 of the 6 in most other years. I could check but I have other things to do.

And I wasn't implying they were otherwise average, I was just saying it's not hard to get to 11-12 wins when 5-6 are gimmes. That's why they always win 11+ and sometimes 13, 14 or even 16 once. They are a good team in a bad division.

I'm not taking anything away from them, but it is definitely a factor in their sustained regular season excellence. Great coach, great QB, and some help from an easier schedule than a good team normally gets.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 - 4-2 (12-4)
2013 - 4-2 (12-4)
2012 - 6-0 (14-2)
2011 - 5-1 (13-3)
2010 - 5-1 (14-2)
2009 - 4-2 (10-6)
2008 - 4-2 (11-5)
2007 - 6-0 (16-0)
2006 - 4-2 (12-4)
2005 - 5-1 (10-6)
2004 - 5-1 (14-2)
2003 - 5-1 (14-2)
2002 - 4-2 (9-7)
2001 - 6-2 (11-5) // before realignment

There are a couple of 5-1 or 6-0 seasons, but those are usually aligned to 13 or more win seasons. Many of the time they are 4-2 in those 12 win seasons that makes them 8-4 out of division.

As far as "easier schedule" the out of division schedule is weighted based on how well you did the year before. So that's another knock against your theory.

Great coach, great QB no argument from me, but they consistently fill the roster with guys that are just good enough to make plays. The organization is aligned to win and they have the best Coach in the business to execute that vision.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny aint it? Not one of their asssitant coaches throughtout the amazing run has been the least bit successful. Not one. Funny, aint it? Also, this great coach was once mediocre for 5 years in Cleveland.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "attendant" did it. Hmm...

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has little or nothing to do w the Patriots, but the refereeing in the NFL is miserable. It's almost a joke.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not following me. A weak division helps, a great QB helps a lot but this is a team whose best WR is Julian Edleman and a RB that only less than 5% of all NFL fans can name. They don't seem to be physically gifted, not fast, no outstanding WRs although they do have Gronkowksi. The Pats are the closest thing we've seen to flag football in some time. They threw the ball over 50 times and rushed for 14 yards - which is the way the NFL is going. (for the record, I predict the NFL will become flag football in a few years). No, this team seems to know what the other team is doing. They rarely make mistakes, rarely are they out of position and they do it w/ an ever changing cast of people - it simply is unlike any team in modern history. It doesn't make sense. They always have a great offensive line that seems to be a staple and Brady almost always has huge passing lanes to throw. Brady now throws 6-7 yard passes which is largely a substitute for their running game. Anyway, IMHO they defy logic and history.

What you describe above is really good coaching. Well disciplined team. A coach like Bellicheck are rare. He is a HOF coach. As to their longevity, you have to include a really good front office. I don't know much about their FO. But they must have a good staff that evaluates talent and have managed the cap properly.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw... Bellicheck outcoached the 2nd best coach in the league and beat a better team when their team clearly had inferior players at pretty much every position other than QB and TE.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike every single team in the NFL past or present, the NEPattiots have ramined a dominate team for 12-13 years w a changing roster and changing assistant coaches. How do they do it? I am very suspicious although I've not a shred of evidence that they cheat and can't imagine that if they are cheating what sort of system must they have in place? I simply can not understand how they defy logic and history that says no NFL team can remain dominate for very long. Tonight, they gained 14 yards rushing the ball. I would be willing to bet that the total yards gained running is the least amount gained in any playoff game ever and still win. They seem to cover every wide receiver like a glove, don't give yards after the catch and get fooled hardly ever and except for a few games here and there over that long time period, is in every game right up to the end. It simply defies logic. It is not the same to compare them to the NBA or the Spurs specifically because if you have the right 5 guys you can win a lot in the NBA. I realize this is a Warriors thread, but this question of Patriots' dominance is perplexing.

Agreed. They are amazing. And the fact that they have 10 starters on offense who are white and they still win is astounding! Doesn't seem possible.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots use their passing game like a running game. Short, dart like passes to two minauture WRs. Almost impossible to stop. Like I keep saying, there is something weird w that team.