• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How bad Do You Want It

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder, if it would take a season-ending injury to an opponent playing the 49ers like, Eli Manning, for the 49ers to win the game would you take that or would you rather have that player not sustain the season-ending injury and have the 49ers lose the game.
I think I'd rather have the 49ers lose the game but that was not the prevailing opinion at work today.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not for injuring our opponents because what makes it sweet is beating the best legitimately. If someone else takes him out so be it. Just like we can't change our schedule or who we play (besides controlling where we finish in the division), we can't help it if a team plays us depleted. I know people would minimize our win should that happen, but it wouldn't be our fault and therefore should not carry too much weight in people's perspective. This is assuming that we are as good of or better than the Giants. If the worst team in the league plays a Manning-less Giants and wins, then yeah, it means enough that we can assume the injury caused the win primarily, not-withstanding the any-given-Sunday factor.

Having said that, I think the question is better if you replace "season-ending" with "game-ending" and perhaps "Week 6" with "NFCC game". I think, if people were honest, some answers would change with those two changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems pretty easy if I'm understanding the question correctly, I easily would take the win.

Then I again, I am a selfish asshole.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder, if it would take a season-ending injury to an opponent playing the 49ers like, Eli Manning, for the 49ers to win the game would you take that or would you rather have that player not sustain the season-ending injury and have the 49ers lose the game.
I think I'd rather have the 49ers lose the game but that was not the prevailing opinion at work today.

Ah hahaha. Do you push the button or not? - You're a bad man mister!

My take is this. We would learn much more from losing to a good team than we would learn from beating a mediocre team - I'll take the loss and the lesson.

Now, push the stakes up to say the Super Bowl and my answer would be different.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not for injuring our opponents because what makes it sweet is beating the best legitimately. If someone else takes him out so be it.

Having said that, I think the question is better if you replace "season-ending" with "game-ending" and perhaps "Week 6" with "NFCC game". I think, if people were honest, some answers would change with those two changes.

"season ending" was the discussion and it came up while talking about KC fans cheering that their own QB was injured. I don't think I could ever wish for a season ending injury to an opponent playing the 49ers even if it meant the 49ers would lose the game.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight, I want the win. I think it would have to be a life threatening, not altering, injury for me to say, "I'd trade this win for that injury to have never happened."

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah hahaha. Do you push the button or not? - You're a bad man mister!

My take is this. We would learn much more from losing to a good team than we would learn from beating a mediocre team - I'll take the loss and the lesson.

Now, push the stakes up to say the Super Bowl and my answer would be different.

I just thought it was an interesting topic in light of the Matt Cassel thing and the Saints "bounty" thing.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight, I want the win. I think it would have to be a life threatening, not altering, injury for me to say, "I'd trade this win for that injury to have never happened."

Agreed. I wouldn't mind if the 49ers knocked the guy out for one game and he was able to come back the next week but season-ending is usually prety gruesome.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just thought it was an interesting topic in light of the Matt Cassel thing and the Saints "bounty" thing.

An interesting topic for sure.

A more Niner-centric way to connect to the Cassel situation would be to predict the crowd reaction at the stick if Smith would have gone down during the "We Want Carr" era. Sadly, I predict there would have been joy the likes of which Eric Winston can't even imagine.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I wouldn't mind if the 49ers knocked the guy out for one game and he was able to come back the next week but season-ending is usually prety gruesome.

I wouldn't trade the win to miracle his bone back into his leg.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if the question is as a fan, I take the win. I'm selfish because I have no control over whether the guy is injured. I don't want it to be season or career-ending, but saying we lost it fair and square is worse than winning a game due to injury.

As a player that has an opportunity to injure someone, I'd take the loss. Like Bem, who I think was talking as a fan as opposed to a hypothetical player, my answer may be different if it is in the Super Bowl because getting there was tough enough that people can't make the whole victory tainted like a stolen regular season game perhaps could (depending on the teams).

Plus, for this particular game, we could beat them (without stretching the possibilities too far) with or without Manning, so if he gets injured, it doesn't mean they would have won if not for injury. It just would make it easier and how much we won would change depending on when it happened in the game (if he gets injured in a blowout win on the last drive of the game vs. first quarter).

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting topic for sure.

A more Niner-centric way to connect to the Cassel situation would be to predict the crowd reaction at the stick if Smith would have gone down during the "We Want Carr" era. Sadly, I predict there would have been joy the likes of which Eric Winston can't even imagine.

That would have been really ugly but I agree with you that we would have seen unbridled joy from some.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"season ending" was the discussion and it came up while talking about KC fans cheering that their own QB was injured. I don't think I could ever wish for a season ending injury to an opponent playing the 49ers even if it meant the 49ers would lose the game.

If the season-ending injury happened in the Super Bowl or playoffs, I would accept the win as a fan. I wouldn't as a player cause it on purpose. Career-ending (unless by someone going to retire anyway soon) or life-threatening (anytime), no. Wishing injury ever, no. I wouldn't wish for injury when I know the only reason I would is because I thought we wouldn't likely win makes the win meaning less (space intended). But if given those two scenarios, with no say over it, the above and two previous posts is what I think.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Now that I think about it, death comes to us all. Now or 40 years from now, what's the difference?

Okay, okay. That was evil.

Damn, where's the rep button?! ;)

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm basically talking about looking at it as a fan. I couldn't wish a Theisman-like injury on anyone even if it meant losing the game.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm basically talking about looking at it as a fan. I couldn't wish a Theisman-like injury on anyone even if it meant losing the game.

Since I think (or at least hope) no one would be wishing injury on anyone prior to the game, I'm framing this as if it was asked after the fact. And, no, I would not trade the win to fix the guy who got mangled in the 2nd quarter.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I think (or at least hope) no one would be wishing injury on anyone prior to the game, I'm framing this as if it was asked after the fact. And, no, I would not trade the win to fix the guy who got mangled in the 2nd quarter.

Man, if I thought you wouldn't fall asleep, I'd hire you as my editor. This is exactly my thoughts in so few words. ;)