• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holy Shit - Rodgers signs for 110MM

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Rodgers is the highest-paid player in the NFL. Aaron Rodgers still is a great bargain.
The Green Bay Packers know this, and that's why Rodgers' record-setting, $110 million contract wasn't very difficult to get done. The Packers will pay Rodgers $22 million per season because the current salary-cap structure in the NFL just doesn't allow him to be paid much more. This is true in a few ways.

Rodgers would be my pick as the best quarterback in football. When you combine Rodgers' age, skill set and experience, I think he's easily more valuable than players like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Rodgers makes the Packers contenders every season simply by being there. If there was no salary cap, Rodgers would be "worth" $40 million to $50 million per season easily.
To put it another way: How much would Rodgers be paid if he was a free agent?
If a quarterback-hungry team with cap space like the Philadelphia Eagles actually could get a chance to pay Rodgers, they would spend all of that cap room on Rodgers. They would spend years creating cap room to pay Rodgers.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WORTH IT.

The only thing that really makes me worried is... Is this because he was entertaining thoughts of playing the market? I really doubt it, but anything is possible. Guess Thompson wanted to erase all doubt.

MajorPackersFan

Boycott CBS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ForkEm, I really doubt Rodgers wanted to play the market. If he did, he simply wouldn't have signed this deal. The Packers did this so they could give him the money he deserves without handcuffing this team from signing other players down the road.

From what I read, they will pay Rodgers $40 million this year. Also, this was an extension, the larger cap hit won't start for two more years. Even so, his average cap hit will be about $18 million per year when that starts. There are already several QBs who currently have a cap hit of about $15 million.

I honestly don't think the Packers could be in better financial shape heading into the future.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the help breaking it down. That does sound like the kind of plan the three headed prophet (TT, MM, AR) would draw up for the best franchise in sports!

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great article about GB's draft strategy.

Packers fans are looking forward to seeing Lacy run through a safety, convert a third-and-one, force opposing defenses to crowd the line of scrimmage. Jaws said he was looking forward to seeing how Lacy impacts the Packers’ play-action game.

Mostly, Packers fans are looking forward to seeing how the Packers fare against the 49ers, aka the Bay Area Bruisers, when the two teams meet in the season-opener. That’s the rematch and that’ll be the litmus test.

“The San Francisco game was a disappointing loss, but we really didn’t go wholesale change,” McCarthy insisted.

He wasn’t convincing.