• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Holland, Rangers travel to Cincinnati for short series 8/23-8/24

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another fun fact- we have now gone longer than any other MLB team without putting up an inning of 5 or more runs. We last did it on June 28th against the Yankees. Usually an inning with that many runs isn't required to win, but to go this long without doing it once is very concerning, especially when you think about how many half-innings we've batted since last accomplishing it.

And in case you're wondering, the Rangers have now batted in 427 consecutive innings without scoring 5 or more runs.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another fun fact- we have now gone longer than any other MLB team without putting up an inning of 5 or more runs. We last did it on June 28th against the Yankees. Usually an inning with that many runs isn't required to win, but to go this long without doing it once is very concerning, especially when you think about how many half-innings we've batted since last accomplishing it.

And in case you're wondering, the Rangers have now batted in 427 consecutive innings without scoring 5 or more runs.

Honestly, I would not have guessed 5 run innings are that commonplace.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone mentioned the hitting coach earlier... it does seem kinda weird that people (myself included) quickly gave Magadan a bunch of shit, but Iaopoce seems to not get any.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I would not have guessed 5 run innings are that commonplace.
Not super common, no. But it generally happens at least once a month or so... maybe a little longer for some teams and more often for teams like Boston and Toronto.

And I'm not saying it's an indicator of a team that can't win. It just speaks to our general inability to put up big innings.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My guess you don't get many five spots when you neuter a guy like Elvis who probably wanted to swing and is a pretty decent contact hitter. Add in always doing the predictable and guys are easy to pitch to and play defense off of.
So yeah giving away an out although he got to swing with 2 strikes and 3b coming back kind of quenched your crooked inning chances much ,ore the 5 spot

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team deserves the Mariners to come back on them. Playing like a bunch of shitheads. I am sick of the bullpen walking a guy and allowing him to score.
Mariners and Astros have a worse pitching situation than we do. It should manifest very shortly.

I know we stink right now but we will get better and do better down the final stretch. Playoffs a whole different deal of course.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees and Pirates did us a solid.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners and Astros have a worse pitching situation than we do. It should manifest very shortly.

I know we stink right now but we will get better and do better down the final stretch. Playoffs a whole different deal of course.
The only way we get better is for Desmond and Mazara to start hitting again. Those are really the only 2 major differences between the early season offense and this current version which stinks. Beltre is roughly the same- still good. Odor is still the same- hit and miss. Same goes for Mitch. Elvis has been pretty solid all season. We replaced Wilson and Fielder with Lucroy and Beltran, so that's a HUGE win. But, the 2 guys who were tearing the cover off the ball in May and June and sparking the offense almost every day were Desmond and Mazara. And now they're both ice cold and frequently automatic outs. We need at least one if not both of them to get hot again.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't expect it to happen, but Texas has played some shitty baseball. They don't really deserve to have such a good lead and the best record in the AL. Baseball is weird.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This road trip has been total dog shit..... We are now 1-3 against 2 teams who are a combined 106-143 ( 4 of those wins against us). In addition, the Reds and The Rays have a combined -132 run differential and we haven't been able to score much runs against them? I just can't believe it. Any other playoff contender would be rolling teams like this late in the season. It makes me think these guys aren't a contender. The line up is performing so shitty that i'm looking forward to Gomez joining the team.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Their pitching situation could be worse but our offense is terrible at the moment, and they show very little signs they are getting close to turning it around. That has to change soon

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These numbers are from Jamey Newberg this morning.

The Rangers have allowed two more runs than they have scored in 2016, an extraordinary statistic given that they lead the American League with 73 wins.

Seattle, by way of comparison, is at +49, and Houston is at +42.

MLB’s five other division leaders: +214, +137, +100, +98, +72.

The four teams currently holding down Wild Card spots: +121, +87, +45, +26.

The 73-53 Texas Rangers: -2.

It seems like something has to give. Either this team has been playing way over their heads for much of the season and they are about to collapse or they are about to really turn things around offensively.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These numbers are from Jamey Newberg this morning.

The Rangers have allowed two more runs than they have scored in 2016, an extraordinary statistic given that they lead the American League with 73 wins.

Seattle, by way of comparison, is at +49, and Houston is at +42.

MLB’s five other division leaders: +214, +137, +100, +98, +72.

The four teams currently holding down Wild Card spots: +121, +87, +45, +26.

The 73-53 Texas Rangers: -2.

It seems like something has to give. Either this team has been playing way over their heads for much of the season and they are about to collapse or they are about to really turn things around offensively.
Sobering assessment. I looked at past years and no team that made the playoffs had a negative season number.

Edit: This time last year we were at -23. The worm turned of course last year. Hopefully it will again.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad this is the last national league style game and that this team is going home soon. Let's get this crappy trip over with.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fact is we are in first place. What are they going to do about it? Move us to 3rd place because the teams behind us have a higher run differential? That is Obamonomics, not reality.

We had a worse run differential in mid Sept last year. Guess what? We killed teams in Sept to finish the season with a +7.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sobering assessment. I looked at past years and no team that made the playoffs had a negative season number.

Edit: This time last year we were at -23. The worm turned of course last year. Hopefully it will again.

Sobering assessment. Not me, I'm gonna have to consume more now.

But seriously, that is truly amazing.