• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hoffman is reporting that O'Connell may ask to leave.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He says this will be a two-way interview with Rivera. Says KOC became frustrated with Callahan. Said KOC wasn't really given full control of the playcalling until late in the season.

KOC wants to be innovative and throw, but he's worried a defensive minded coach like Rivera will want to play ball control to keep his defense fresh.

Says if KOC asks to leave that Rivera will probably grant him that wish if their philosophies don't match.

no link....he just said that on 106 just now. He's live on the radio now.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to have a hell of a defense but at the same time I agree with KOC I don't want to be a ball control team

• NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports new Redskins coach Ron Rivera will interview in-house OC Kevin O'Connell for the same job on his staff.
    Per RapSheet, Rivera was impressed with O'Connell's work with first-round rookie Dwayne Haskins over the second half of the season and will give him a shot to stick around. Ultimately, it would be a surprise if O'Connell is trusted to run the offensive side of the show for the defensive-minded Rivera, but it's not crazy by any means. Norv Turner was Rivera's right-hand man in Carolina.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    Jan 1, 2020, 9:26 AM ET

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I love Norv and think he'd be great for Haskins, but Haskins already has a rapport with KOC and asking Haskins to learn his second offense in his second year is crazy.

I have been one of Haskins' biggest critics because he was playing like shit for about a month, but Haskins was looking the way he looked at Ohio St. toward the end.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as i have said before , losing KOC isnt the end of the world . we all knew this team after 5 weeks was done . the best thing we could hope for was DH would get experience with live NFL defenses . he did and he learned but just what are your expectations for next year?

RR says it will take 3-5 years to get the right culture here in place . i would agree

this wont be turned around over night so if KOC walks then so be it . it can and will be overcome

now i agree , him staying could be a big plus but KOC will be an HC someday and DH will have to sink or swim sooner or later

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like bullshit to me.

You would think that any adult out there would take a meeting with the incoming head coach before making overtures about leaving.

KOC has no idea if Rivera will be ball control or not. For all he knows, Rivera was as impressed with the 3 rookie wrs as he was with the dline potential.

After all, McLovin was in the running for OROY before getting injured, Sims looks like a gem, and Harmon has the makings of a great 2/3 wr (big body, good hands).

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See if koc can stay on as qb coach

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they figure it out. Rivera is defensive minded, but he was okay with Norv and Norv is much more aggressive than Callahan.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norv coming back would really stick it up Snyder's ass. If that happens that means Synder will have no control over this team. Which is a good thing. I think KOC stays b/c Haskins will want him to stay. We will see.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit concerned about this entire thread as it relates to the head coach. Generally, a new HC will want to install an offensive system that he is familiar with, or he himself familiarizing himself with the one that he inherits and intends to keep. Either way, someone will have to learn or familiarize themselves with the accepted system. In this case it's either the team or the new coaches.

KOC's job hangs primarily on his relationship with Haskins.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit concerned about this entire thread as it relates to the head coach. Generally, a new HC will want to install an offensive system that he is familiar with, or he himself familiarizing himself with the one that he inherits and intends to keep. Either way, someone will have to learn or familiarize themselves with the accepted system. In this case it's either the team or the new coaches.

KOC's job hangs primarily on his relationship with Haskins.

Lets go back to better time in Washington football when Coach Gibbs was here. Of course he wasn't ignorant of the defense but left that up to Ritchie primarily. If Rivera (as was reported) interviewed KOC and was comfortable with his offensive plan that is fine as long as RR has final say. That is where you do not want Snyder stepping in.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets go back to better time in Washington football when Coach Gibbs was here. Of course he wasn't ignorant of the defense but left that up to Ritchie primarily. If Rivera (as was reported) interviewed KOC and was comfortable with his offensive plan that is fine as long as RR has final say. That is where you do not want Snyder stepping in.
Or Haskins, for that matter. He isn't experienced enough to know what is right or not. If he were a multiyear vet, then you absolutely consult your QB. But a first year, very raw QB.......uh, no.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this moves the adjustment period forward . i see know issue with it and in fact it helps as long as RR bought into it and it wasnt forced on him

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked that he said … No one is guaranteed a position. The essence of high level sports is winning your position, not having it given to you.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We can actually go back as far as you'd prefer, but what you'd find out about really good Head coaches is this.
No matter their leanings (offensive or defensive minded) they are intimately well schooled on the other side of the ball. There's simply no way to become a very good to great offensive or defensive minded coach without knowing how to attack the other side of the ball. This requires familiarity if not expert knowledge of the same.

When you say things like "left that up to Ritchie primarily," I'm sure that you meant this as a matter of trust, and/or delegating authority, and not as some evidence that Gibbs lacked intelligent authority on the subject, right?

I'm pretty sure that in most game planning sessions, the DC and OC will ask the other how would you attack them, they then practice accordingly, but to suggest that the head coach isn't completely involved in all facets of this is, well, um, er ah, you're a coach, you know better!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can actually go back as far as you'd prefer, but what you'd find out about really good Head coaches is this.
No matter their leanings (offensive or defensive minded) they are intimately well schooled on the other side of the ball. There's simply no way to become a very good to great offensive or defensive minded coach without knowing how to attack the other side of the ball. This requires familiarity if not expert knowledge of the same.

When you say things like "left that up to Ritchie primarily," I'm sure that you meant this as a matter of trust, and/or delegating authority, and not as some evidence that Gibbs lacked intelligent authority on the subject, right?

I'm pretty sure that in most game planning sessions, the DC and OC will ask the other how would you attack them, they then practice accordingly, but to suggest that the head coach isn't completely involved in all facets of this is, well, um, er ah, you're a coach, you know better!

I said the same thing in less words Sty. :D But if you feel like that needed more clarification … thanks.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Turner Panthers being interveiw for OC today

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think more accurately .... Scott Turner is being interviewed. Position yet unknown.