• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hizzle's Golf Corner (for debate and/or advise)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of the problem with the stand mechanism "breaking" is the fact I put it into my trunk and sometimes I forget to put it so all the weight is not on the stand itself. I am sure that weakens it! You are right most courses are ride only, which is fine considering those courses are pretty long and I have a bad knee so I wouldn't make it walking.

I think with stand bags...they all eventually break...the whole moving part theory...you certainly could have hastened that by storing it that way. When I go out to Colo...I walk...most people equate Den with the mountains, but it's really just an elevated plain...the courses are a lot more walkable than here...length and hills would take out most of the golfers here.

There is a little 9 hole par 3 nearby that I like to walk n carry actually...glad it's only 9.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, thoughts on Tiger firing foolem foley?

Greatest move in the history of golf? Or just one of the greatest moves?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, Tiger doesn't need a swing coach. He needs someone to help him realize he's almost 40 and to slow his take-away/swing down so he can actually control the golf club.

Tiger swing coach = puppet. It's not like Tiger listens to half of what he says anyway.

Tiger knows the golf swing. He's got a camera. It basically comes down to whether he can put away his pride, be humble and find himself. He's not 21 year old Tiger anymore or the guy who is dominating and he's having issues with that.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the biggest problems I have with my game is at setup, I'm not lined up at the target. If I put a club on the ground touching my toes, back off and look, that club is pointing way right of the target line. I try laying the club across my hips pointing at the target, but I'm still off.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put a club on the ground pointed at your target and align your feet with the shaft of the club on ground. You are gonna feel like your aim is way off but trust it. hit wedges then a 7iron until u feel comfortable enough to move up to long irons and woods. Every now and then check your hips, shoulders to make sure they are pointed just left of the target (if right handed)

Let me guess you hit a big draw or U block it out right?

U need to figure out a pre-shot routine and do it every single shot. Look on the ground and see an imaginary line from your target back to the ball. Pick out a spot 1-2 feet in front of ball. Address the ball with club face first, then feet and body next.

Practice that and learn to trust it. Trusting what u have is huge.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put a club on the ground point at your target and hit wedges then a 7iron until u feel comfortable enough to move up to long irons and woods. Every now and then check your hips, shoulders to make sure you are pointed to a target.

Let me guess you hit a big draw or U block it out right?

I hit it dead left of the target, pull it to left field.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the biggest problems I have with my game is at setup, I'm not lined up at the target. If I put a club on the ground touching my toes, back off and look, that club is pointing way right of the target line. I try laying the club across my hips pointing at the target, but I'm still off.

Any suggestions?

Keep in mind, the thing you want pointed at the target is your clubface. Your feet should actually be slightly left of the target. I think a good hitting station should have 2 clubs laid down - parallel to each other. The club closet to your feet is slightly left of the target, and the one furthest from them is slightly right of the target. You hit balls from in-between them.

I would hit ball after ball after ball from inside that hitting station, until your eyes start re-adjusting to proper set up. If you hit it left, then just keep hitting it left. That is step 1. You'll be surprised, you swing may eventually start correcting itself. If not, then post on here with details, or see an instructor.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit it dead left of the target, pull it to left field.

Means you are coming over the top. This isn't as hard to fix as some people think, but it takes discipline.

When you get to the top of the backswing, you are releasing the club. Instead of getting to top and slightly pausing, you are getting to the top and turning thru the ball - going straight to your left side.

So while you take your SLOW backswing, you should be more on your right side... FINISH backswing or momentum at the top.. NOW before you start your downswing, feel like you let the BUTT of the club DROP straight down - into the SLOT (basically wait 1/2 second longer to release the club), then release the club and finish on your left side.

Good drill for this... Take the club to the top of your swing and hold it there, while picking up your left foot. This will teach you FEEL and once you get that feel, you will the ball even further, because of your weight transfer.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ...good pick up...clubface aiming right of target and hitting left of target...big OTT move with a released club...a move I had too only I was aimed at the target....I had to get professional help...a lot of what you posted is in play.

I'm pretty sure at impact a lot of weight is on the back foot and hips may have spun out.

"NOW before you start your downswing, feel like you let the BUTT of the club DROP straight down - into the SLOT"

This will help...especially if he's driving slightly off the back foot to start the downswing...if so, the arms will drop into the slot naturally if you let them... by delaying the release as you say.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you're at the top of the golf swing.. as long as your first move is to let the club fall for a 1/2 second, instead of turning on the ball you can fix that problem.

Now just work on the weight distribution drill, by taking the club to the top of the backswing and lifting up your left foot and hold it.

Keep your tempo smooth, your posture in an athletic position and you will start to pound the ball.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've played twice this month since not swinging a club in over 7-8 years. I'm back to making a lot of the beginner mistakes but have been fixing them by going back to basics and doing stuff like laying a club down to help line my feet up. Putting, chipping, sand, pitching, flop shots are all good. Driving off the tee needs some work and approach shots with irons are not good. I'm back to hitting the ball straight most of the time but just not as long as I used to. Where I used to use a 9 iron now requires an 7 or 6 iron, etc. I find myself putting for bogey on Par 3's just by incorrect iron selection and hitting way short of the green. I'm only 41 but I can feel that my back swing is nowhere near where it used to be.

Maybe I need to start going back to the gym...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've played twice this month since not swinging a club in over 7-8 years. I'm back to making a lot of the beginner mistakes but have been fixing them by going back to basics and doing stuff like laying a club down to help line my feet up. Putting, chipping, sand, pitching, flop shots are all good. Driving off the tee needs some work and approach shots with irons are not good. I'm back to hitting the ball straight most of the time but just not as long as I used to. Where I used to use a 9 iron now requires an 7 or 6 iron, etc. I find myself putting for bogey on Par 3's just by incorrect iron selection and hitting way short of the green. I'm only 41 but I can feel that my back swing is nowhere near where it used to be.

Maybe I need to start going back to the gym

I'm 52 (and change)...distance is probably avg for my size...6-3" 230 (from 240 this winter)...not a hard swinger...9i goes 130 to 140, driver 260 to 280 (on good one).

Point here...away from the game 7 yrs?...flexibility will help you get back some of those lost yds.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe I need to start going back to the gym...

Right now the last thing I would worry about is trying to take the club back further. After that long of a lay off, a couple things will happen:

1) Loss of flexibility. If it's gone - it's gone. You can get it back, but slowly and naturally. If you try to achieve a longer swing right now, you will be making compensation mistakes which will hurt you in the long run. Examples of this are over-rotating your hips; bending your left arm; letting your left knee kick in; etc... Just stay with a shorter swing right now - and work on #2 (below);

2) Your impact position is almost certainly gone. Right now go stand in front of a mirror with a golf club and ball. Don't swing, but just put yourself in impact position. Proper position is: Hands pressed a couple to few inches in front of the ball; Hips are slid forward where about 80% of your weight is on the left foot; Your right heel is starting to come off the ground; Your head is on top of the ball to just slightly behind the ball (the head being slightly back is the main reason you are not 100% on your left side yet; And the club face is just behind the ball, not quite striking it yet, but about to hit the back of the ball into the ground.

Work half swing after half swing just hitting shots trying to get into that position. A great drill is to put a tee in the ground, very flush, about 2 inches in front of the ball. Now make half swings until you can consistently hit the ball - and knock the tee out of the ground.

SpartyNash13

Spartan Dawg
Hoopla Cash
$ 963.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played nine with my dad today at a course I've played 1000 times. I try to get out a couple times a month, my dad hasn't golfed in 2 months. He usually beats me and I get a little frustrated, nothing serious usually, but today I expected to beat him. We both golfed like shit, but after a triple on 7 I got super pissed and basically dicked off and gave up the last 2 holes, shredded my glove in a fit of rage. Out of frustration I half seriously declared after the round I was done for the year. I don't get it because I've gone to the range once a week the past 3 weeks and have hit the ball incredibly each time, but when I get on the course it's as if the only thing I am thinking of is scoring well and when it goes wrong I can't get past it.

Any tips on trying to relax and not get so pissed off when actually playing a round? Looking back I'm very embarrassed for pouting and throwing a bitch fit. Today was as mad as I have been on the course since about junior year of high school 5 years ago.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played nine with my dad today at a course I've played 1000 times. I try to get out a couple times a month, my dad hasn't golfed in 2 months. He usually beats me and I get a little frustrated, nothing serious usually, but today I expected to beat him. We both golfed like shit, but after a triple on 7 I got super pissed and basically dicked off and gave up the last 2 holes, shredded my glove in a fit of rage. Out of frustration I half seriously declared after the round I was done for the year. I don't get it because I've gone to the range once a week the past 3 weeks and have hit the ball incredibly each time, but when I get on the course it's as if the only thing I am thinking of is scoring well and when it goes wrong I can't get past it.

Any tips on trying to relax and not get so pissed off when actually playing a round? Looking back I'm very embarrassed for pouting and throwing a bitch fit. Today was as mad as I have been on the course since about junior year of high school 5 years ago.

http://jasonsliquor.com/media/catal...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/3/03410057505.jpg

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was hard for me to start learning how to enjoy the game again after I stopped playing competitively. I took off a few years, and tried to come back to the game - trying to learn how to play for fun again. It was harder than I thought. I couldn't do the things I used to be able to do. All of a sudden I found myself throwing temper tantrums and getting down on myself - because I would shoot a 76. The great majority of the golf world woulda been thrilled - but I am here upset... after a day on the golf course. Why was I mad???

Pretty cool that you and your dad are getting those times together. You got to spend a day on the golf course with your dad. It's all relative.

I started a rule, that I can't have a beer until my first bogey. Days when I go out and play 6 or 7 in a row without one - I start getting thirsty. When I finally make a bogey - instead of getting mad, I get a treat! Maybe for you it would be a double bogey, etc...

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All right, seems like there's some really good players on here so I have a question. My driver's always been really short (never learned to hit it properly) and I've been messing around with something. My arms used to be really passive swinging it, but I'm starting to mess around with a grip with the right palm at the target and actively pushing the palm through impact towards the target to get extension on it through impact. I hardly think about my arms with my irons and they're fine. I hit a flier as usual with the club but it was straight at least 20 yards further than my usual flier. Am I on the right path here?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All right, seems like there's some really good players on here so I have a question. My driver's always been really short (never learned to hit it properly) and I've been messing around with something. My arms used to be really passive swinging it, but I'm starting to mess around with a grip with the right palm at the target and actively pushing the palm through impact towards the target to get extension on it through impact. I hardly think about my arms with my irons and they're fine. I hit a flier as usual with the club but it was straight at least 20 yards further than my usual flier. Am I on the right path here?

Well, to be honest it's not what I would teach. Having the right palm pointing at the target is a bit of a strong grip. A neutral grip you would be able to see 1-2 knuckles on your right hand.

2nd - I'm a big believer in releasing the club head through impact position. If you are trying to maintain that palm position for too long through impact, you aren't really releasing it, and you are robbing yourself of a good amount of speed most likely.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played nine with my dad today at a course I've played 1000 times. I try to
get out a couple times a month, my dad hasn't golfed in 2 months. He usually
beats me and I get a little frustrated, nothing serious usually, but today I
expected to beat him. We both golfed like shit, but after a triple on 7 I got
super pissed and basically dicked off and gave up the last 2 holes, shredded my
glove in a fit of rage. Out of frustration I half seriously declared after the
round I was done for the year. I don't get it because I've gone to the range
once a week the past 3 weeks and have hit the ball incredibly each time, but
when I get on the course it's as if the only thing I am thinking of is scoring
well and when it goes wrong I can't get past it.

Any tips on trying to
relax and not get so pissed off when actually playing a round? Looking back I'm
very embarrassed for pouting and throwing a bitch fit. Today was as mad as I
have been on the course since about junior year of high school 5 years ago.

STOP TRYING SO HARD. Have a few beers. If you are striping it on the range and that bad on the course, you are probably thinking more about score than anything. And if you want to beat your dad that bad, go to match mode:

1) hit the fairway
2) hit the green

1 hole at a time.