• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Historically...Michigan is overrated honestly

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not being a troll but I was looking at national titles and realized how overrated a lot of these teams are but none compare to Michigan.

Also, what have they dont lately. When I say lately, I mean the last 66 years. Well they have 1 national championship since 1948. 10 of their 11 national championships were before 1948 when the competition was nothing compared to now.

They are a historic program but they are overrated. The last 60+ years they have 1 national title, that's piss poor honestly.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say that Georgia, at least over the past 25 years, has been overrated as well. I've lived in Georgia for 7 years, and it seems like more often than not, they are dark horses or out right among the favorites to win the national title.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not being a troll but I was looking at national titles and realized how overrated a lot of these teams are but none compare to Michigan.

When was the last time that any credible news source/sports person picked Michigan in the pre-season, or even during the regular season, to win the national title?

I think you have to be rated to be overrated. Michigan is looking at a decade of not being taken seriously in any ratings system.

Also, what have they dont lately. When I say lately, I mean the last 66 years. Well they have 1 national championship since 1948. 10 of their 11 national championships were before 1948 when the competition was nothing compared to now.

They are a historic program but they are overrated. The last 60+ years they have 1 national title, that's piss poor honestly.

I prefer to measure things in the past 40 years (nearly my lifetime). How many national titles does Ohio State and Michigan each have over the past 40 years?

I think if you were going to be truly critical of Michigan, especially coming from an Ohio State fan and secretly digging at Michigan, you should have included Big Ten titles in it.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say that Georgia, at least over the past 25 years, has been overrated as well. I've lived in Georgia for 7 years, and it seems like more often than not, they are dark horses or out right among the favorites to win the national title.

I can definitely agree with that

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When was the last time that any credible news source/sports person picked Michigan in the pre-season, or even during the regular season, to win the national title?

I think you have to be rated to be overrated. Michigan is looking at a decade of not being taken seriously in any ratings system.

I prefer to measure things in the past 40 years (nearly my lifetime). How many national titles does Ohio State and Michigan each have over the past 40 years?

I think if you were going to be truly critical of Michigan, especially coming from an Ohio State fan and secretly digging at Michigan, you should have included Big Ten titles in it.
The last 40 years tOSU leads the series 20-19-1. Of course tOSU is 12-3 since 2000. Time for scUM to wake up.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You mentioned conference titles & national titles for both programs going back just 40 years ('75). Okay...I think the Buckeyes have about a 17 to 16 edge in conference titles (including shared) over that span & the Buckeye have 2 Natty's ('02 & '14) to 1 for ann arbor ('97). Also one more comparison just going back those 40 years: Heisman winners: Ohio State 3 (Griffin, George & Smith) & 2 (Howard/Woodson) for your team.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well it's been 11 years since Michigan even split a Big Ten title. Back in the 70's and 80's it was all Michigan and Ohio St. But when you win so many of those, impressive it is, the national stage is more important and you have to produce with titles.

1 in 50 isnt good enough. Ohio St isnt that best having only 5 since 1960 but for having the all-time number of wins ever you would think Michigan would have more.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last 40 years tOSU leads the series 20-19-1. Of course tOSU is 12-3 since 2000. Time for scUM to wake up.

Yes, recently it has been bad.

but now...

:harbs:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My time is only from 89 to present. So it is different for everyone. I think 1950 on is ok, but honestly the 70's and up is when football took off IMO, well at least mattered as far as competition.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even the one NC was split. So half a NC.

Michigan got a hunk of wood from the AP, but Nebraska got a crystal football.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My time is only from 89 to present. So it is different for everyone. I think 1950 on is ok, but honestly the 70's and up is when football took off IMO, well at least mattered as far as competition.
From 1950 on the Buckeyes lead the series 35-28-2.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's been 11 years since Michigan even split a Big Ten title. Back in the 70's and 80's it was all Michigan and Ohio St. But when you win so many of those, impressive it is, the national stage is more important and you have to produce with titles.

1 in 50 isnt good enough. Ohio St isnt that best having only 5 since 1960 but for having the all-time number of wins ever you would think Michigan would have more.

Absolutely, Michigan should have more with all the wins they have. Regardless, in the modern era of football, which I would label as the past 30-40 years, it's not like Ohio State is really doing that great in terms of national titles. I would argue that the Ohio State Buckeyes of the 90's were probably the most overrated team of any decade over the past 3-4 decades in terms of being overrated. How many times were they ranked #1 or #2 in the 90's and how many national titles did they win? (I'm truly curious, as I just remember Michigan beating them at least twice that decade when they were ranked either #1 or #2)

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Absolutely, Michigan should have more with all the wins they have. Regardless, in the modern era of football, which I would label as the past 30-40 years, it's not like Ohio State is really doing that great in terms of national titles. I would argue that the Ohio State Buckeyes of the 90's were probably the most overrated team of any decade over the past 3-4 decades in terms of being overrated. How many times were they ranked #1 or #2 in the 90's and how many national titles did they win? (I'm truly curious, as I just remember Michigan beating them at least twice that decade when they were ranked either #1 or #2)
Did you actually see any of their teams of the 90's play?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which shows you have truly bad this rivalry was from the mid 70's till the turn of the century in favor of Michigan.

Hopefully we get back to the Cooper years again soon! :)

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you actually see any of their teams of the 90's play?

I watched the games, and really didn't expect Michigan to win several of them. Ohio State had some STUD players back in the 90's. Although Michigan wasn't too bad themselves, especially in the early 90's and '97.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Which shows you have truly bad this rivalry was from the mid 70's till the turn of the century in favor of Michigan.

Hopefully we get back to the Cooper years again soon! :)
Not as lopsided as you might think. From 1974 to 1999 the Bucks are 9-16-2 That was with Cooper going 2-10-1. Tressel owned UM. Now it's Urban's turn. I do hope Hardnuts can at least make it competitive.