• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

High-tempo football will obscure stats

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Playing offense has gotten a ton easier over the last decade with all the rule changes to help offenses, but now I'm realizing with the up-tempo stuff college teams use & some NFL teams are going to try, that could really inflate some stats compared to years past.

It might also put a bigger emphasis on stamina because players won't have as much time to substitute.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree.. Its a shame because I love to see defenses more than the offensive side. Ill take low scoring hard hitting over shootouts any day.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to see my team shooting it out, and the other team low scoring.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sort of ceded this as reality once Moss broke Jerry's all-time season TD record.

The NFL of old is obviously gone, Goodell's NFL is a player-safety-first league because home-team fans don't want their Bradys injured when there is money to be made.

More TV viewers - note: I said viewers - will watch an NFL game with offensive firepower brought by Brady / Big Ben / Peyton/ Eli / Brees / Rodgers / Ray Rice & Anquan than if Wilfork /James Harrison /Dwight Freeney / Strahan & Osi combined / Sedrick Ellis & Will Smith (who?) combined / Charles Woodson / Ray Lewis bring the defense.

I know people like to blame things like Goodell becoming commish; the "Tuck" rule; the "Don't tackle Tom Brady low"; as points in history when the NFL lost toughness....

but for me, even as a diehard Niners fan, I remember the 2002 playoff matchup between Oakland & Baltimore....

I remember watching THIS

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Sorry my pot got cut off, so here is the rest)

I remember watching THIS

2002 playoffs - Baltimore @ Oakland - when Tony "Fat Fuck" Siragusa belly flopped onto Rich Gannon & broke Gannon's collarbone. Gannon was coming off one of his best seasons ever and Siragusa's beached whale impression could not have been a more obvious attempt to injure.

I knew immediately after that game that QBs would be more protected (because who REALLY gives a shit about Marques Tuiasosopo outside his family), but I had no idea that the offseason QB redjersies would make their way into regular season & playoff football.

Even to this day I'm conflicted because Goose dirtied the fuck out of Gannon and I never felt Baltimore had to pay for what Goose did, but I am extremely upset with how concussions/Brady's knee/lawsuits have turned QBs into giant pussies in today's NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Somewhat off topic but during the Clemson/Georgia game the topic of uptempo was discussed. They were saying that (though not happening in that game) defensive players fake injuries to slow offenses down. Some teams put it in thier packages.

Just something interesting I heard.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sort of ceded this as reality once Moss broke Jerry's all-time season TD record.

The NFL of old is obviously gone, Goodell's NFL is a player-safety-first league because home-team fans don't want their Bradys injured when there is money to be made.

More TV viewers - note: I said viewers - will watch an NFL game with offensive firepower brought by Brady / Big Ben / Peyton/ Eli / Brees / Rodgers / Ray Rice & Anquan than if Wilfork /James Harrison /Dwight Freeney / Strahan & Osi combined / Sedrick Ellis & Will Smith (who?) combined / Charles Woodson / Ray Lewis bring the defense.

I know people like to blame things like Goodell becoming commish; the "Tuck" rule; the "Don't tackle Tom Brady low"; as points in history when the NFL lost toughness....

but for me, even as a diehard Niners fan, I remember the 2002 playoff matchup between Oakland & Baltimore....

I remember watching THIS

Yeah, that was dirty. I can't believe this guy is still getting paid by the NFL/FOX. He just stands in an endzone looking sloppy as hell, and once and a while says something like, "It's hot" He brings nothing to the show aside from me hitting "mute."