• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey guys, remember when TCU missed the playoff because they didn't play a championship game?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Ohio State did, so they got in over TCU despite getting blown out by a 6-6 team?

College Football Playoff field set but controversy lingers with Ohio State in, TCU snubbed

If the playoff is going to survive, there need to be clear rules. Needing to win your conference should be the first one. Then, apparently, its two losses that are a red line... but watch them break that convention if a 2-loss team wins the SEC.

The rules are clear - 4 best teams.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU was unlucky that there was 5 worthy teams

This year Alabama is lucky that there were only 3 worthy teams

That is not a real wild swing for the playoff history: 5, 4, 4, 3

4 seems about right.

If you look back at the last 30 years, there is rarely more than 4 teams that are truly worthy of BEST TEAM.

I agree with this. But to play devils advocate, there are 60+ teams worthy of best team in CBB but March Madness is still awesome. Now I'm not saying you put 60 teams in football but I wouldn't mind 8. I'm cool with 4, but I'd be even cooler with 8 for the simple fact it gives us more high quality football. (The chance for the occasional upset is fun too)

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rules are clear - 4 best teams.

4 best teams have to be proven on the field, not some committee opinion

There MUST be rules.....that everyone knows and can follow. Currently there really aren't any.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 best teams have to be proven on the field, not some committee opinion

There MUST be rules.....that everyone knows and can follow. Currently there really aren't any.

4 best teams. They got it right yet again.

AP Poll - Same result
Coaches Poll - Same result
Computers - Alabama is #3.
BCS - Same result.

Ignorant fans - OMG It's fucking terrible. Crappy ass USC who barely got past Texas and Western Michigan and was blown out by ND deserves to be in the playoffs, but 1 loss to a top10 team Alabama doesn't!

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 best teams. They got it right yet again.

AP Poll - Same result
Coaches Poll - Same result
Computers - Alabama is #3.
BCS - Same result.

Ignorant fans - OMG It's fucking terrible. Crappy ass USC who barely got past Texas and Western Michigan and was blown out by ND deserves to be in the playoffs, but 1 loss to a top10 team Alabama doesn't!

They got it wrong.

Polls don't determine who the 4 best are......CRITERIA that is established does.

This is why there must be RULES. All we have now is an OPINION on who the best is. Bama hasn't really played anyone noteworthy, it's just an OPINION they're a top 4 team.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got it wrong.

Polls don't determine who the 4 best are......CRITERIA that is established does.

This is why there must be RULES. All we have now is an OPINION on who the best is. Bama hasn't really played anyone noteworthy, it's just an OPINION they're a top 4 team.

Only the blind hate the eye test.

Let me guess, you think it should be conference champions? So you think USC was more deserving than Alabama.

And that is why it's dumb.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only the blind hate the eye test.

Let me guess, you think it should be conference champions? So you think USC was more deserving than Alabama.

And that is why it's dumb.

It doesn't matter if you think they don't deserve it. They won the conference, good or bad. They should get the chance to PROVE they belong or not.

All conference champs should be an auto IN. Anyone else is a wildcard......pretty simple really.

The eye test is utter bullshit. It means nothing. SHOW ME on the field. WIN your conference......if you can't do that, you don't deserve a spot just because you won against scrub teams all year. Your one opportunity to prove it, you FAILED.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule #1: only Ohio State can win the Big Ten?

Imbalanced divisions are just something you're going to have to deal with. If Wisconsin had beaten Ohio State on Saturday, would the imbalanced divisions have mattered? No.
tOSU makes any divisions imbalanced.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet. So A&M just needs to ditch the SEC to move to a lesser conference they can steamroll. Then schedule weak P5 teams to build the OOC resume and instant birth in the playoffs every year. :yes:
So now A&M wants to follow the Bama method for getting into the playoffs? Except Bama is smart enough to know to stay in the SEC for their weak conf. games.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5c0.jpg

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter if you think they don't deserve it. They won the conference, good or bad. They should get the chance to PROVE they belong or not.

All conference champs should be an auto IN. Anyone else is a wildcard......pretty simple really.

The eye test is utter bullshit. It means nothing. SHOW ME on the field. WIN your conference......if you can't do that, you don't deserve a spot just because you won against scrub teams all year. Your one opportunity to prove it, you FAILED.

They had their chance in the regular season just like everyone else. They proved they didn't belong.

They barely beat Texas, they barely beat Western Michigan and they got blown out by Notre Dame.

Like it or not, Florida St was a quality win for Alabama. But I don't expect you to admit it.

Sorry, but your regional championship label shouldn't mean a damn thing on the national level. Congrats, you were crowned champion of those 10-14 teams. So fucking what? Oklahoma, Georgia and Clemson had no trouble winning their conference AND proving they deserved to be there.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest flaw here is rewarding teams for not playing and sitting at home during conference championship week.

And you know, Bama getting in would have made some logical sense from a certain standpoint if the committee had ranked Alabama above Wisconsin the week before conference championship week. At least then they're saying that they believed Alabama was better but there was still the possibility that Wisconsin could win their way in.

But no, they put Wisconsin ahead of Bama in week 14. So essentially they're saying "Sorry Badgers, should have just stayed at home and not risked it". They could have easily avoided adding to their list of inconsistencies by just ranking teams in the correct fashion.

It was bad enough knowing the committee was incompetent, but knowing that they're also unintelligent is not a good sign moving forward with this playoff model.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with everything...BUT the 4 leagues agree to this wide-open, subjective..."4 Best Teams."
That was total nonsense from the beginning. You folks gave that 13-person committee, filled
with their own bias, the opportunity to steal.

Delaney from the Big10 wanted the "4 Best Conf Champions"...now that is also subjective
but it ensures that only 1 team gets the shaft.

CFB...since it's inception... has always decided who will play for the National Championship
using one iron-clad standard. "Another Man's Opinion."

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet. So A&M just needs to ditch the SEC to move to a lesser conference they can steamroll. Then schedule weak P5 teams to build the OOC resume and instant birth in the playoffs every year. :yes:
What Power 5 conference would A&M steamroll, exactly?

And who's giving birth?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still don't think its a good idea to have 13 random people deciding the fate of the playoffs of who's in or out. to much risk for blind biases if not outright payoffs.

hell I trust the computer models more.... and if OSU is out in that model, so be it.
Didn't the computer models include polls...which were made up of a great deal more than 13 people with a bias?