• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here's Where Mayhew and Caldwell Screwed Up.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A change in offensive philosophy was the wrong move. Caldwell should've never stripped the team of thier offense by letting Linehan go (assuming he would've stayed) and Mayhew should've never agreed to it.

Its been far worse than better.

Sometimes its better to leave things alone. The offense only needed a few tweaks as far as players up front. Instead, they did make some changes there but they took away the things that made the offense go. Stafford's game needed some refinement, not a complete make-over to the point that there's an emphasis on being overly careful with the football. This plays right into the favor of other teams.

How is this a Lion's offense with no deep bombs to Johnson? How is this a Lions offense with no crazy side-arm throws? How is this a Lions offense that doesnt involve the TEs more?

Only certain teams can run and pass with the aame level of success. Very few do though. Even Rex Ryan has figured that out these days.

Its funny how dumb and stubborn coaches can be at times. Some of them refuse to go agaisnt their own way. I dont usually do a lot of bashing but Caldwell should be ashamed of himself and start packing his bags of he lets this continue.

Whats really bad about the whole situation is that there's a real chance that this team may have to start over again, whether it be just new coaches or everyone from the top, down.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even w Linehan, the Lions never could beat the best teams, never threatened to take the North.

Went 10-6 record on a cake schedule, beating a bunch of bad teams and got bounced in round 1.

Went 4-12 on post playoff schedule

Went 11-5 on cake schedule, beating a bunch of bad teams and got bounced in round 1.

0-3 on post playoff schedule.

Parts change, results stay the same.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions are the Lions... I am 34 years old... and as much as I would love to see them win a superbowl... I expect them to lose every game. Its like beaten wife syndrome. I come back for more beatings every week... At least living in Miami I get to see another fan base suffer through total mediocrity.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even w Linehan, the Lions never could beat the best teams, never threatened to take the North.

Linehan did well with the weapons he was provided during his run as offensive coordinator Calvin, Stafford, Bush and a bunch of trash. He's been looking good in Dallas since leaving even has a playoff win :pout:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Went 10-6 record on a cake schedule, beating a bunch of bad teams and got bounced in round 1.

Went 4-12 on post playoff schedule

Went 11-5 on cake schedule, beating a bunch of bad teams and got bounced in round 1.

0-3 on post playoff schedule.

Parts change, results stay the same.

Very true but those are the things they shouldve concentrated on. Keep what works and work on the bad stuff. The only way they start beating good teams is getting a good coach.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions are the Lions... I am 34 years old... and as much as I would love to see them win a superbowl... I expect them to lose every game. Its like beaten wife syndrome. I come back for more beatings every week... At least living in Miami I get to see another fan base suffer through total mediocrity.

They wont lose every game but when they win....it wont matter.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can answer that in 2 words. Zone blocking. 2 years ago we had no RBs and soft O-lineman in the middle.

Lions could have easily won the north and made it to the NFC championship with Linehan last year.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you remember, at the time, Linehan was taking a lot of heat. Similar heat to what Lombardi is taking: The offense is too predictable, can't run the ball, no half-time adjustments, no hurry-up until it's too late.... He had also become one of Stafford's scapegoats. No one was sad to see him go.

Now we look back fondly at Linehan because his scheme is better suited to our personnel that Lombardi's, and because he did well with Dallas last year, and because we see that Stafford hasn't improved with a different coach (Brees' old QB coach + a designated QB coach) anyway.

Last edited:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if there are any GM/HC combos out of work the Lions could kick the tires on?

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by their hair... or lack thereof... They screwed up long ago.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this much. Linehan never had the defense backing him up that we had last year either though.

He also did not have the O-line he has now. Imagine if Stafford (or anyone) actually had extra time to throw to CJ and Tate and could actually block for AA. The offense would be unstopable. We need to use this extra cap space to fortify the trenches.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I agree with this sentiment -- it had nothing to do with the offense. They averaged 25-29 ppg during the last 3 years linehan was here. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the offense had nothing to do with our first playoff loss. We had 400+ yards of offense and 30+ points. The defense gave up an NFL record 600+ yards of offense and forced zero punts.

In a year and 3 games with Lombardi's offense -- we averaged around 19 ppg. An offense that finished 3rd, 5th, 6th the 3 prior years, finished 19th last year and they are 27th right now.

This is with ADDING Golden Tate and Ebron.

Detroit's issue -- when they could put up points -- the defense couldn't stop anyone. When we figured out how to stop teams, our offense couldn't figure out how to score points.

I'd do cartwheels to have Linehan back. Remember when we had an OL with a bunch of nobodies and castoffs, yet Linehan found a way to mask their deficiencies, so much so, that certain Lions fans actually argued we had a top 5 OL? Now we have an OL filled with high draft picks and we can't run block or pass protect.

This team is so damn frustrating.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's really bad about the whole situation is that there's a real chance that this team may have to start over again, whether it be just new coaches or everyone from the top, down.

I think starting over again is a given.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think starting over again is a given.

Only way you don't start over is if you find a OC that can do what Linehan did and find a way to mask the deficiencies of individual players on the OL.

I have no doubt in my mind -- with the pass catchers we have on the team, if Stafford has time to throw -- we could be a great passing team. At some point -- Caldwell and Lombardi are going to figure out -- the only way to win is to throw the ball DOWNFIELD. We don't have the personnel to be a running team.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensively -- I don't think they are that far off. When Levy gets back -- it will give the defense a huge boost. I really hope Alex Carter (I think that is the guy we drafted) is solid, as we will need a replacement for Mathis sooner rather than Later.

As I expected -- our rush defense isn't that much different this year. Peterson had a big game, but I expected that. They are only giving up 3.7 YPC, even with the big game by Minnesota against us.

We will definitely need to add an edge rusher or someone like say, Aaron Donald, at DT. Can't believe we passed on him and took a damn one dimensional TE. God that draft pick still pisses me off.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensively -- I don't think they are that far off. When Levy gets back -- it will give the defense a huge boost. I really hope Alex Carter (I think that is the guy we drafted) is solid, as we will need a replacement for Mathis sooner rather than Later.

As I expected -- our rush defense isn't that much different this year. Peterson had a big game, but I expected that. They are only giving up 3.7 YPC, even with the big game by Minnesota against us.

We will definitely need to add an edge rusher or someone like say, Aaron Donald, at DT. Can't believe we passed on him and took a damn one dimensional TE. God that draft pick still pisses me off.
Playing the worst offense in the NFL helped those stats.

So did San Diego not bothering to run.

If we could play ourselves e'ry week our run D would set records.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011 (last winning season w Linehan) was a long time ago. Different team and players. And even then Linehan wasn't beating winning teams.

This years defense has obviously suffered an colossal drop off without Suh. Last year, through the first three games the D surrendered 45 points (including 3 at Minnesota).

This year through three games, they've surrendered 83. Damn near double.