• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here's what Jason Caffey had to say about his time with the Bulls...

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to work Sunday but was able to catch the first two episodes of the documentary on DVR, and with Chicago being my closest NBA city, I can honestly say I was not surprised by a whole lot. That said I did not realize Pippen was such a problem child that last year...

The quote from Jason Caffey on his two and a half seasons with the team:

That’s why I thank Michael, I thank Phil, I thank Dennis, Steve Kerr,” Caffey said. “Coming in under Michael and Scottie, I’m not saying I took the good from those guys and went out and did good, but the things that I did take from them — that ‘never quit’ attitude — has helped me sustain my life.”

Former Bull Jason Caffey opens up about his battles with depression, anxiety

Caffey came though with the game-winner in the game below, on an unconventional play at the rim with one second to go in overtime:

I myself was a couple weeks shy of my 10th birthday at the time, and this particular game was the first time I knew overtime was a thing and that goaltending was a thing. Less than a month later, Caffey would be traded to the shitbag Warriors, a team coming off the Sprewell choking scandal earlier in the season, for a pair of second rounders. While nothing is conclusive with it being 22 years ago, I'm pretty sure Jordan was not a fan of the trade.

Such a terrible teammate he was to side with his guy after he got traded. :tsk:

As for the Nets, 1997-98 was their first year with that particular uniform scheme, with Kerry Kittles, Keith Van Horn, and Lucious Harris sticking around for their finals run four years later.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a terrible teammate he was to side with his guy after he got traded. :tsk:

It's interesting with guys like MJ. Not everyone can handle their style of leadership. They're demanding, tough, won't accept less than perfection and have no problem getting in a teammates face about it.

For a guy like Caffey, considering what he went through, he got something even more important than a ring.

Guys who could handle that, learned about doing whatever it takes to win and got a ring or 2.

The guys who couldn't, weren't with the team long.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys who couldn't, weren't with the team long.

I'm not sure this part is quite true, because if you look at those teams in the 90's and the Bulls only seldomly made roster changes while Jordan was on the team.

One may call him a tough teammate, but the facts don't lie. He kept teams together. We tend to think of guys like Shane Battier and P.J. Tucker when it comes to "glue guys", but I have tended to view MJ as the greatest glue guy off all time even if I've been mocked by a certain individual poster for saying such.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure this part is quite true, because if you look at those teams in the 90's and the Bulls only seldomly made roster changes while Jordan was on the team.

One may call him a tough teammate, but the facts don't lie. He kept teams together. We tend to think of guys like Shane Battier and P.J. Tucker when it comes to "glue guys", but I have tended to view MJ as the greatest glue guy off all time even if I've been mocked by a certain individual poster for saying such.

Yes. Because you clearly don’t know what the term means.

It isn’t just “keeping teams together”.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bulls roster their championship season 1993:

BJ Armstrong
Ricky Blanton
Bill Cartwright
Joe Courtney
Jo Jo English
Horace Grant
Michael Jordan
Stacey King
Rodney McCray
Ed Nealy
John Paxson
Will Perdue
Scottie Pippen
Trent Tucker
Darrell Walker
Corey WIlliams
Scott Williams

Bulls roster in ‘96
Randy Brown
Just Buechler
Jason Caffey
James Edwards
Jack Haley
Ron Harper
MJ
Steve Kerr
Toni Kukoc
Luc Longley
Pippen
Dennis Rodman
John Salley
Dickey Simpkins
Bill Wennington

That is exactly 2 players that were on both teams. Players tended to move around less in the 90s and before. Free agency was not the same. Players could sign longer contracts and teams had huge advantages in retaining guys. And yet still, the entire roster turned over between those ‘93 and ‘96 titles.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly 2 players that were on both teams. Players tended to move around less in the 90s and before. Free agency was not the same. Players could sign longer contracts and teams had huge advantages in retaining guys. And yet still, the entire roster turned over between those ‘93 and ‘96 titles.

And what do the '94 and '95 teams sandwiched in between those two titles have in common? Jordan wasn't around to begin those seasons and they were a disjointed mess. There were some bouts of minor success during those two seasons, but there was a reason the Bulls broke their roster apart especially during the summer of '94. Less than ideal chemistry was that reason.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what do the '94 and '95 teams sandwiched in between those two titles have in common? Jordan wasn't around to begin those seasons and they were a disjointed mess. There were some bouts of minor success during those two seasons, but there was a reason the Bulls broke their roster apart especially during the summer of '94. Less than ideal chemistry was that reason.

And you still have no idea what a glue guy is. You are completely changing the meaning of the term to fit your narrative.

Here is what really happened:

-Horace Grant left in free agency because the Magic were better and offering more money
-BJ Armstrong was chosen by the Raptors in the ‘95 expansion draft. Nothing to do with Jordan
-Bill Cartwright signed as a free agent with the Sonics in ‘94 and retired the following year. He was washed. Nothing to do with Jordan
-Stacey King was traded to Minnesota for Longley- Krause upgrade
-Will Perdue was traded for Rodman. Another Krause upgrade
-John Paxson Retired after ‘94 season. He was also washed
-Scott WIlliams signed with the 6ers in ‘94 seeking a bigger role
-Rodney McCray retired after ‘93. He was washed
-Trent Tucker also retired after ‘93

Maybe a couple of the fringe guys stay 1 more year with MJ, but the reality is they weren’t contributing much anyway. Most, if not all of these guys left for different opportunities. Aside from Grant, Their departures from Chicago had little to do with Jordan being gone.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and the story is that Krauss really thought Tim Floyd could keep winning as long as he retained the assistant coach that knew all about the triangle. They kept him, and Floyd went like 40-190.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you still have no idea what a glue guy is. You are completely changing the meaning of the term to fit your narrative.

Here is what really happened:

-Horace Grant left in free agency because the Magic were better and offering more money
-BJ Armstrong was chosen by the Raptors in the ‘95 expansion draft. Nothing to do with Jordan
-Bill Cartwright signed as a free agent with the Sonics in ‘94 and retired the following year. He was washed. Nothing to do with Jordan
-Stacey King was traded to Minnesota for Longley- Krause upgrade
-Will Perdue was traded for Rodman. Another Krause upgrade
-John Paxson Retired after ‘94 season. He was also washed
-Scott WIlliams signed with the 6ers in ‘94 seeking a bigger role
-Rodney McCray retired after ‘93. He was washed
-Trent Tucker also retired after ‘93

Maybe a couple of the fringe guys stay 1 more year with MJ, but the reality is they weren’t contributing much anyway. Most, if not all of these guys left for different opportunities. Aside from Grant, Their departures from Chicago had little to do with Jordan being gone.

LOL You clearly have no idea what those Bulls were about, most of this post was random research and overanalysis. Most likely you were just a typical coastal folk that was simply absorbed by Jordan's star-power at the time and nothing more.

The likes of Cartwright, Paxson, McCray, and Tucker were indeed washed. You weren't wrong about that one, but it is beyond the point.

If you truly believe that the likes of Horace Grant and Scott Williams would still be as hell bent to leave the Bulls had Jordan still been there, then I have some oceanside property here in Indiana to sell you.

Even as much as the Bulls roster had changed in '94, it could have changed much much more. There was a deal in place that would have send Pippen to Seattle for Kemp and a couple of other pieces, but it took the Seattle owner for the deal to be vetoed. And why would the Bulls make such a drastic change to a 55-win roster??? As alluded in the previous post - Bad chemistry. Cartwright, while washed, was fed up by Pippen's antics in the playoffs and likely played no small role in him signing elsewhere.

If there weren't so many Lakers fans on this board, your bias in favor of major coastal markets and against midwest markets such as Cleveland, Milwaukee, among others is quite comical. Because more likely than not your have never been to either city. I have had the privilege of having visited both the aforementioned cities, and I can honestly say - Stay in your lane before critiquing someone else's city.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Because you clearly don’t know what the term means.

It isn’t just “keeping teams together”.

Google's definition of the fictional term "glue guy" is as follows:

"On athletic teams, a glue guy (or gal) is the one who, in the midst of adversity, will make sure that everyone sticks together."

In other words, it is exactly what it means.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL You clearly have no idea what those Bulls were about, most of this post was random research and overanalysis. Most likely you were just a typical coastal folk that was simply absorbed by Jordan's star-power at the time and nothing more.

The likes of Cartwright, Paxson, McCray, and Tucker were indeed washed. You weren't wrong about that one, but it is beyond the point.

If you truly believe that the likes of Horace Grant and Scott Williams would still be as hell bent to leave the Bulls had Jordan still been there, then I have some oceanside property here in Indiana to sell you.

Even as much as the Bulls roster had changed in '94, it could have changed much much more. There was a deal in place that would have send Pippen to Seattle for Kemp and a couple of other pieces, but it took the Seattle owner for the deal to be vetoed. And why would the Bulls make such a drastic change to a 55-win roster??? As alluded in the previous post - Bad chemistry. Cartwright, while washed, was fed up by Pippen's antics in the playoffs and likely played no small role in him signing elsewhere.

If there weren't so many Lakers fans on this board, your bias in favor of major coastal markets and against midwest markets such as Cleveland, Milwaukee, among others is quite comical. Because more likely than not your have never been to either city. I have had the privilege of having visited both the aforementioned cities, and I can honestly say - Stay in your lane before critiquing someone else's city.

You are an idiot. Bad chemistry?

The lost the best player of all time and still managed to take the Knicks to 7 games in a series they should have won.

And FYI, I watched the Bulls religiously since Jordan was the reason I started watching basketball. I even attended Knicks/Bulls game 7 that year in the Garden while you were probably in diapers. So I know far more about the Bulls than you.

Bad chemistry my ass. They were a champion with washed up pieces, a semi-disgruntled underpaid star locked to a long term deal and a delusional, meddlesome GM who believed he was the main cause for the Bulls titles. Krause tried to trade Pippen multiple times.

FYI, just about every young player in the modern history of the NBA when given the opportunity to seek a greater role for more money takes it. That is why WIlliams left. Of all the players who left, Horace Grant is the only one who might have stuck around had Jordan remained on the team.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Google's definition of the fictional term "glue guy" is as follows:

"On athletic teams, a glue guy (or gal) is the one who, in the midst of adversity, will make sure that everyone sticks together."

In other words, it is exactly what it means.

Dude.

Jordan literally used to bully his own teammates.

By the time the Last Dance doc has fully aired this game will look even more stupid than it does now. Jordan was the leader. But he was more of a dictator than a glue guy. Phil Jackson was the glue.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude.

Jordan literally used to bully his own teammates.

By the time the Last Dance doc has fully aired this game will look even more stupid than it does now. Jordan was the leader. But he was more of a dictator than a glue guy. Phil Jackson was the glue.

lol

Exactly. It worked very well for them too. MJ could be brutal in setting the expectations and critiquing his teammates.

Then Phil would come along and smooth everything over.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
94 Bulls were really good and one horseshit call away from making the Finals

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of great memories coming back here. So far Bird summed up Jordan best.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
94 Bulls were really good and one horseshit call away from making the Finals
I want to have a million babies with your avi. That shit is hilarious.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're a Trump supporter. Wiggy was certainly wrong on this one, because THAT is literally the least surprising development in the history of our NBA board. :clap:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're a Trump supporter. Wiggy was certainly wrong on this one, because THAT is literally the least surprising development in the history of our NBA board. :clap:
LOL you are so far up your own ass.

I love that avi because it is making fun of Trumpies. Because I like you, I'll give you a hint. See what those 3 numbers actually add up to....

The only bummer about it is it's probably a doctored photo. Still, LOL at Trump fans. And you.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Grant and Jordan didn't get along. He was close to Pippen. He wanted out and wanted to be in Orlando. Jordan would have had no affect on that.