• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Help Picking a Team

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up without a major-league baseball team in my city or state. I have mainly been following football and basketball all my life. I am looking for a team to follow. I don't want the next World Series winner because that is too bandwagon for me but I also don't want to choose Chicago Cubs like team, either. I already have the Utah Jazz for that. Once I choose a team, I'm loyal. I'm looking for a team is relatively relevant. I went to USC for college, so LA Dodgers or Anaheim Angels would be natural. I also did some schooling in Washington, so the Mariners would fit. I grew up rooting for the 49ers so the SF Giants would work. However, I don't live in either region now. I'm okay with choosing a team from a different location.

Anyone have any ideas? I know it is silly question but I do want to follow baseball.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might cut the field of candidates in half by first deciding whether you enjoy watching pitchers (try to) hit.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might cut the field of candidates in half by first deciding whether you enjoy watching pitchers (try to) hit.
I agree with the fact that if you're starting from scratch then you should decide if you like the AL game or NL game more. If you picked the Dodgers, Red Sox, Cardinals or Nationals then you might be accused of being a bandwagon guy but that really shouldnt bother you

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I very much think this is a fine question, I have no idea for an answer. I came to my fandom for all sports in grade school, and though I moved away ( and one team moved away from me ), I never gave my fandom a second though. Nor have I ever considered changing.

Good luck to you in your endevor.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you live now, and who's games are on TV every day?

I live is Salt Lake now, but that could change in the future. The minor league is the Salt Lake Bees and they are farm team for the Anaheim Angels. When I lived in LA, I always bought one or two tickets every year and it was always the Dodgers versus the Angels. I live in Washington, I went to Mariners game. When I was in high school I saw the Pittsburgh Pirates play Atlanta Braves, when I went to Atlanta for a conference. My grandfather took me to a Padres game. But besides that, I don't have any affiliations or experience with any baseball team.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the fact that if you're starting from scratch then you should decide if you like the AL game or NL game more. If you picked the Dodgers, Red Sox, Cardinals or Nationals then you might be accused of being a bandwagon guy but that really shouldnt bother you

And this is why he should pick the Yankees

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good idea. I should cut my candidates into smaller field then the whole league. I'll try to come back with a smaller list. I would make a poll, but I don't think people want to threads from me for this.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Could you tell me the major differences between the AL game and then I'll game. I don't need a thesis, but just in general. I'm almost 30 now and so it's late to start following, but I've always been into sports in general and I hope to have 60 to 70 more years. Probably 50.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I very much think this is a fine question, I have no idea for an answer. I came to my fandom for all sports in grade school, and though I moved away ( and one team moved away from me ), I never gave my fandom a second though. Nor have I ever considered changing.

Good luck to you in your endevor.

Thanks for the good luck. I am a loyal fan, I just never have attached to a team before. I thought about following the Moneyball team because I loves statistics. But the fact that which Moneyball team that is didn't jump into my head, is a reason that would be silly to select. I know it was Billy Beane. Yes, I know how to Google, but that wouldn't change me knowing what team it was at the time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is why he should pick the Yankees

Haha. I suppose not wanting to be a bandwagon fan is a silly reason not to follow a certain team if you know that you will follow that team forever no matter how bad they get. I do have the perception that the Yankees buy their players or championships more than others (which can backfire). So they may never be bad enough? (Though they Doucett a high standard that not winning the World Series in a given year they look like sucking.)

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fact that you mentioned the Nats there is still just weird to me. I mean, you didn't do anything wrong, and hopefully you're right that they're a continual frontrunner, but as a Nats fan, it's just weird to hear.

For the OP, welcome to baseball. It's great if you have the right mindset. Remember, a baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint. I know all sports say that about their seasons, but it's especially true when it comes to baseball. It's long, a lot of things change throughout the season, and it's always on for 6 straight months.

To answer your question about the difference between the leagues, the AL has the designated hitter and the NL does not, so pitchers hit. It changes the strategy of the hitters and alters the formation of a lineup. Pitching stats tend to be better in the NL as a result, and hitting stats tend to be better in the AL. Late inning strategy is also effected by the DH, since in the NL teams will pinch hit for a pitcher and double switch to move the pitchers spot in the lineup. I like it, but a lot of others don't. Everyone has their own opinion on the DH...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the OP, welcome to baseball. It's great if you have the right mindset. Remember, a baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint. I know all sports say that about their seasons, but it's especially true when it comes to baseball. It's long, a lot of things change throughout the season, and it's always on for 6 straight months.

To answer your question about the difference between the leagues, the AL has the designated hitter and the NL does not, so pitchers hit. It changes the strategy of the hitters and alters the formation of a lineup. Pitching stats tend to be better in the NL as a result, and hitting stats tend to be better in the AL. Late inning strategy is also effected by the DH, since in the NL teams will pinch hit for a pitcher and double switch to move the pitchers spot in the lineup. I like it, but a lot of others don't. Everyone has their own opinion on the DH...

Thanks, apachef4. I knew all those terms and what they meant, but I didn't know that one league did one and the other did the other. I used the terms interchangeably (which proves I didn't really know what the terms meant). I'll do some thinking about this and come back. If you could choose which system the Nats used, what would it be? On one hand, pinch hitter is flexible on who and when, but the replaced player can't come back (at best, you are replacing a pitcher who already left the fielding team). On the other hand, designated hitter allows everyone to remain in the game but only the pitcher is replaced.

Who was the best hitting pitcher ever? Who has the best hitter currently? Why are pitchers worse hitters? (Or is that a false assumption?) Can you choose not to use a designated hitter?* (I know you can choose against using a pinch hitter.) Are pinch hitters used mostly for retired pitchers? (Retired, as in no longer pitching in the game.)

*Edit: This answered the question on being able to choose to not have a designated hitter: Designated hitter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have any "favorite" baseball players for any reason? (Id be leaning towards the Angels right now, with the AAA affiliate and all.)

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live is Salt Lake now, but that could change in the future. The minor league is the Salt Lake Bees and they are farm team for the Anaheim Angels. When I lived in LA, I always bought one or two tickets every year and it was always the Dodgers versus the Angels. I live in Washington, I went to Mariners game. When I was in high school I saw the Pittsburgh Pirates play Atlanta Braves, when I went to Atlanta for a conference. My grandfather took me to a Padres game. But besides that, I don't have any affiliations or experience with any baseball team.

Have any "favorite" baseball players for any reason? (Id be leaning towards the Angels right now, with the AAA affiliate and all.)

I'd say the Angels are a natural fit, if you're living there for the forseeable future.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you could choose which system the Nats used, what would it be?

Who was the best hitting pitcher ever? Who has the best hitter currently? Why are pitchers worse hitters? (Or is that a false assumption?) Can you choose not to use a designated hitter?* (I know you can choose against using a pinch hitter.) Are pinch hitters used mostly for retired pitchers? (Retired, as in no longer pitching in the game.)

*Edit: This answered the question on being able to choose to not have a designated hitter: Designated hitter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would choose to not have the DH. I like the way the game plays out in the NL better. Ultimately, though, I am not as gung-ho on it as a lot of folks. I think it would be best for baseball if both leagues played under the same rules. And since the DH isn't going anywhere, it would be the DH in both leagues.

The best hitting pitcher ever is Babe Ruth. I know that's probably a bit of a cheat of an answer. Pitchers are generally worse hitters than everyday players because it's a completely different skill set. Players tend to specialize more as they get older, continuing in the skill set that they are best at. The best-of-the-best in each skill set carry on to the Majors. There are some really decent hitting pitchers...they just don't compare to the everyday players. Not to mention they no longer really practice it that much.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you seem to have seen the most Angels games (minor and major) might as well be them. I didn't see the answer but do you have a favorite player?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be a toronto blue jay fan if i were you... they need some loyal AMERICAN fans...

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would probably make more sense to start following baseball regularly and find a player or team that you look then just kind of arbitrarily choosing one based on some suggestions on a forum. The favorite player route is probably a good way to go about it, especially if he's young and likely to stay in that city.