• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hello Luke!

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great deal for the Flyers. We can afford to let JVR go due to the young depth we already have.
Shenn has the potential to become a cornerstone D-man

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody like the idea of Brayden getting under the Penguins skin in the playoffs, and with the rivalry at a peak his brother joins the fray?

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really am surprised. Not that the Flyers made a deal. Not that they moved JvR. But they made a solid hockey driven move that is not a headline grabber and not the big ticket trade that they seem to be expected to make.

L. Shenn is just what the Dr ordered. He is a solid top 4 who can bang and play a solid game in his own zone. He also does it without being a penalty magnet. He is a right handed shot (as was pointed out) which is something that the Flyers have lacked sine Smith and before him Desjardins. I know Walker is a righty, he also is not a real NHL defenseman.

I am not going to get into a battle of hyperbole over JvR. He has a ton of talent and that cannot be denied. He had horrible luck this year with injuries. He was off to a 30 goal pace when they started...IF he turns his game up a notch with the Leafs it is just good for him. The Flyers needed a defenseman. JvR was the ingredient needed to get one.

Best of luck to him...

And check out some of Shenn's hits ..... :-)

shrike19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good move

Most of the time it's the little things that make a big difference. Although I don't think Schenn is the greatest dman out there, he fills a big need on the back line. He can move the puck and he likes to bang, he can also eat up minutes. I've always thought jvr was well over-hyped, I've seen the kid since his days in high school (I'm from his home town in nj). He always had the reputation as being a bit lazy and bit of a primadonna, I was shocked when the flyers drafted him.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really am surprised. Not that the Flyers made a deal. Not that they moved JvR. But they made a solid hockey driven move that is not a headline grabber and not the big ticket trade that they seem to be expected to make.

L. Shenn is just what the Dr ordered. He is a solid top 4 who can bang and play a solid game in his own zone. He also does it without being a penalty magnet. He is a right handed shot (as was pointed out) which is something that the Flyers have lacked sine Smith and before him Desjardins. I know Walker is a righty, he also is not a real NHL defenseman.

I am not going to get into a battle of hyperbole over JvR. He has a ton of talent and that cannot be denied. He had horrible luck this year with injuries. He was off to a 30 goal pace when they started...IF he turns his game up a notch with the Leafs it is just good for him. The Flyers needed a defenseman. JvR was the ingredient needed to get one.

Best of luck to him...

And check out some of Shenn's hits ..... :-)

That is the perfect way to describe it. This is a HOCKEY TRADE. We could when balls to the wall and thrown away everything for Weber, or we could give the Leafs one of their needs for one of ours.

And yes, I love his hits :)

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
you know, i think JVR will become a 30-40 goal scorer. i don't think anyone doubts that. but here's the bottom line. this is a team full of young offensive weapons with tremendous potential and a team lacking some defense. we traded from a strength to address a weakness. no harm in that. solid move.

also, starting to like the laughton pick more and more.

think about it.. coburn, schenn, grossman, and possibly carle all locked up for the next 3-4 years. mez might get an extension. gustaffson and bourdon in the system. if we drafted a Dman he wouldnt really impact this team for 4-5 years anyway most likely and we have a nice solid young core of D. homer knew he was gonna go get a Dman and that probably contributed to drafting a forward in the first round. we weren't gonna go and get a franchise defenseman with that 20 pick anyway so i see this as a great move.

schenn, coburn, and grossman is a nice core of young, physical type defenseman to build this team around. i would love to have a no questions asked number one guy, but you can't say that having all these young guys isn't a great thing. team defense wins and those three guys are a great core to build the D around.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with most of you. I still think we need more D depth. And I think Homer will make a splash.

I think a second tier guy like maybe Gaustad or Moen would make me happy. That with Dennis Wideman.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still wouldn't mind another Grossmannnnnn, but I'll settle for Schenn.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i suppose anyone who still wants more NHL dmen is against resigning carle?

if the flyers cant sign garrison, carle is my choice.. they really dont need a big body anymore.. coburn, grossmann, mesz, and schenn all have some pretty serious size.. IMO they need a shot from the point..

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carle can actually play defense, but he doesn't do it consistently enough. He's about old enough that I'm not sure he will improve significantly upon that, too, but I wouldn't be adverse to signing him for the right price. I'm sure, however, that my idea and his idea of the right price differ staggeringly.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still need a bigger more solid dman, Carle hopefully is the next to go. Or Package up Carle and the new kid and grab Someone big..

Looks as though Homer isnt swinging for the fences this year in finding Kimmo's replacement..

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right and I have no trouble if they do sign Carle but I'm guessing that they don't. Young kids looked more than capable in the 6th spot.

Management has indicated several times that re-signing Carle is a priority. He's not perfect, not an all-star, but solid and (physically) durable. He is also reportedly willing to sign for less than market value, in a year in which there aren't enough FA dmen in the market to meet demand.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carle can actually play defense, but he doesn't do it consistently enough. He's about old enough that I'm not sure he will improve significantly upon that, too, but I wouldn't be adverse to signing him for the right price. I'm sure, however, that my idea and his idea of the right price differ staggeringly.

Reports say it'll be between 4.25-4.75. For arguably the 2nd or 3rd best ufa dman, that's a good deal.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports say it'll be between 4.25-4.75. For arguably the 2nd or 3rd best ufa dman, that's a good deal.

I'm not against Carle as he'd make that D sick if he signs and they keep the rest. Great young depth in the 7-9 spot too. But if they have the extra cash and Timonen's moving after next year why not spend the money on Suter and put them over the top? It doesn't even cost them picks or players like Pronger did. If they have to move a guy like Coburn or Mez down the road who cares? Just a thought.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to be back and yes welcome aboard brother Luke.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets get Carle back in O&B and start the season right now.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of small reasons why I think this move will improve our team immensely. Obviously we are absolutely stacked at forward and needed help on defense without Pronger/Carle and to deal with potential injuries. More to that point, JvR wasn't high enough on our depth chart to get the minutes/opportunities to be truly effective. I still believe he's eventually going to be a stud when he finally gets that chance.

Besides all of that, Schenn is 6 months younger, $650k cheaper, has more Nhl experience and has already proven more at this level than JvR. He was 7th in hits this past season and had more combined blocks/hits than anyone not named Girardi or Orpik. This was a down year for him as he led the entire league in hits the year before with 251.

This is really going to pay dividends in the playoffs when, if healthy, we'll have the biggest, hardest-hitting top six group of defensemen that there is. The wear and tear of those guys on the opposition will really be evident over a seven game series.

On top of all of this, you have the fact that Luke will be highly motivated to team up with his brother and get a fresh start in another city that is crazy for hockey, but also much more successful at it. He's going to get his first taste of the postseason next April and we're going to lean on him WAY more than we have leaned on JvR, which means we're easily getting more bang for our buck.

The loss at forward meanwhile doesn't hurt much at all with Giroux, Briere, Hartnell, Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, Read, Couturier, Talbot etc. still in the fold.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of small reasons why I think this move will improve our team immensely. Obviously we are absolutely stacked at forward and needed help on defense without Pronger/Carle and to deal with potential injuries. More to that point, JvR wasn't high enough on our depth chart to get the minutes/opportunities to be truly effective. I still believe he's eventually going to be a stud when he finally gets that chance.

Besides all of that, Schenn is 6 months younger, $650k cheaper, has more Nhl experience and has already proven more at this level than JvR. He was 7th in hits this past season and had more combined blocks/hits than anyone not named Girardi or Orpik. This was a down year for him as he led the entire league in hits the year before with 251.

This is really going to pay dividends in the playoffs when, if healthy, we'll have the biggest, hardest-hitting top six group of defensemen that there is. The wear and tear of those guys on the opposition will really be evident over a seven game series.

On top of all of this, you have the fact that Luke will be highly motivated to team up with his brother and get a fresh start in another city that is crazy for hockey, but also much more successful at it. He's going to get his first taste of the postseason next April and we're going to lean on him WAY more than we have leaned on JvR, which means we're easily getting more bang for our buck.

The loss at forward meanwhile doesn't hurt much at all with Giroux, Briere, Hartnell, Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, Read, Couturier, Talbot etc. still in the fold.

+1000000000000000000 rep forthcoming