• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heath Bell

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orioles, Mariners Among Four Teams Interested In Heath Bell

By Steve Adams [May 15, 2014 at 7:40pm CDT]
Free agent right-hander Heath Bell is drawing serious interest from four teams, including the Mariners and Orioles, reports Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish. The former Padres closer is weighing offers from those clubs as he decides which is the best fit, and he could choose a new team within the next few days.
Cotillo writes that Bell is likely to sign a minor league deal and begin at Triple-A with his eventual team rather than jump right into a big league bullpen. The 36-year-old was designated for assignment and released by the Rays earlier this month after posting a 7.27 ERA with 6.2 K/9, 4.2 BB/9 and a 66.7 percent ground-ball rate in 17 1/3 innings of work. Tampa acquired the former All-Star from the D’Backs this offseason in a three-team deal that essentially amounted to a salary dump for Arizona. Tampa acquired Bell from the Snakes and catcher Ryan Hanigan from the Reds, while Cincinnati landed left-hander David Holmberg and the D’Backs acquired Justin Choate and the now-retired Todd Glaesmann.
Though Bell’s career has taken a downturn since signing a three-year, $27MM contract with the Marlins prior to the 2012 season, he showed some reason for optimism in 2013. Bell whiffed more than a batter per inning last season with the best walk rate of his career and was primarily plagued by a fluky homer-to-flyball ratio. This year’s struggles appeared to be more genuine, though it’s worth noting that Bell’s velocity did increase consistently as the season went on.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take a chance on him and/or Coffey.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably a good move if they can get him. Right handed relief at the MLB level appears set for trhe moment (although Medina is starting to worry me) but the right-handed relief depth at AAA is frightening. Steven Pryor is down there but is he even pitching right now? Seems like he has had the same stats for the last two weeks.

And Yeorvis Medina has looked shaky recently. I'm starting to tense up every time he enters a close game. In his last 6 appears he has gotten 14 outs and allowed 10 base runners.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Medina should have options so adding a guy and sending him down works for me. I would like another lefty to replace Furbushy.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Bell is signing with the Orioles. Another option out there is Kyle Farnsworth, just released this week.

Not sure what's the deal with Pryor. As far as i know he's pitching in Tacoma and has been for a few weeks. Not sure if the club is keeping him down there because his velocity still isnt there or if they honestly think guys like Medina or Leone are better options at this point.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They did end up getting Coffey. I don't know where he was assigned. I have yet to see him listed in the Tacoma or Jackson pitching stats.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tacoma is where I read. He is also worth the risk especially now that Pryor is probably done for the year and won't be coming up.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tacoma is where I read. He is also worth the risk especially now that Pryor is probably done for the year and won't be coming up.

That's really too bad about Pryor. so much potential. Carter Capps just went down too. Miami put him on the DL over the weekend. So there is yet another guy who 'benefitted' from the Mariners excellent training methods.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that too about Capps. My other favorite team, the Blazers, were known as a team who had a ton of injuries over the last several decades and they finally fired their long time trainer of I think 19 years and replaced him with this young guy with degrees in everything related to training and beyond using modern techniques and machines and they probably had their healthiest season. I think it is time we did the same.

Here is a link to this guy if interested.

Blazers Hire Dr. Christopher Stackpole As Director Of Player Health And Performance - Blazer's Edge

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that too about Capps. My other favorite team, the Blazers, were known as a team who had a ton of injuries over the last several decades and they finally fired their long time trainer of I think 19 years and replaced him with this young guy with degrees in everything related to training and beyond using modern techniques and machines and they probably had their healthiest season. I think it is time we did the same.

Here is a link to this guy if interested.

Blazers Hire Dr. Christopher Stackpole As Director Of Player Health And Performance - Blazer's Edge

It's a damn shame what happened to Brandon Roy, but I think his knees were on borrowed time before he played his first game in the NBA.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True on that. He had 70 year old knees coming out of college.