• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heat predicted (by ESPN) to three-peat

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just funny how certain posters think the Heat will fall off this year because they had 2 tough series in the Eastern Conference Finals and the NBA Finals. The Conference Finals & NBA Finals are not supposed to be easy.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just funny how certain posters think the Heat will fall off this year because they had 2 tough series in the Eastern Conference Finals and the NBA Finals. The Conference Finals & NBA Finals are not supposed to be easy.

Can't speak for others, but for me it's about a whole lot more than just having a tough couple of playoff series the season before!!

It's also about other teams improving with an eye specifically on beating Miami and about how rare it is for a team to make 4 straight finals appearances.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't speak for others, but for me it's about a whole lot more than just having a tough couple of playoff series the season before!!

It's also about other teams improving with an eye specifically on beating Miami and about how rare it is for a team to make 4 straight finals appearances.

It is rare but as of right now we're still the top dog in the league. Chicago, Indy, and Brooklyn all got better but guess what? They're still not better than Miami. The Heat also got better w/the addition of Oden who could play a key part in the Heat run to the finals this season.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is rare but as of right now we're still the top dog in the league. Chicago, Indy, and Brooklyn all got better but guess what? They're still not better than Miami. The Heat also got better w/the addition of Oden who could play a key part in the Heat run to the finals this season.

I see Oden as a role player at best matching up against bigs like Hibbert. Otherwise I don't see him as a great fit for Miami. Miami's success has been with "small ball". Oden is a post up center who will just get in the way of Lebron and Wade.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not disputing that the Heat are the best team in basketball!! However, the last 2 Lakers teams that tried to make 4 straight finals appearances were favored to get back to the finals as well.

I'm not saying that the Heat can't or won't do it, just that based on history, it's seems unlikely!!

There are many things that have to fall exactly into place for 4 straight years in order for a team pull it off:

1.) Health: They have to stay relatively healthy for 4 years, this very difficult to do. Lebron has never suffered a serious injury. Not saying he will, but most players don't make it through an entire career without at least one. Also, D-Wade has been having injury issues for the last few seasons. If the Heat lose one of them (especially in the playoffs) they will be in deep doo-doo!!

2.) Staying ahead of the league: The CBA seems set up to prevent teams from repeating and making several consecutive finals appearances (kind of stupid, imo, but it is). Other teams simply have more options to improve themselves than the Heat do. Signing Oden with his very questionable knees is a sign of this. If the Heat were able to add virtually anyone else, they don't sign Oden!!

3.) Physical and mental fatigue: This may actually be the biggest factor. A team that has been to 3 straight finals like the Heat, has spent 3 years with a target on their backs and taking everyone's best shot!! This takes a toll!! I remember the Lakers series vs. Dallas in 2010. I didn't see a team that got beat by a better team. On paper, the Lakers were the better team. What I saw was a tired team that just ran out of gas!!

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Oden as a role player at best matching up against bigs like Hibbert. Otherwise I don't see him as a great fit for Miami. Miami's success has been with "small ball". Oden is a post up center who will just get in the way of Lebron and Wade.

I agree. But most of the challengers to Miami are big at C which means Oden will be needed. Brooklyn have Lopez/KG, Chicago have Noah/Boozer, and Indy have Hibbert/West.