• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Having signed Samardzija, what else should we do?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI on Mike Leake from earlier today.

As quickly as Leake's market heated up, I think it cooled off. Nats are out of the running now, the $80M was too rich for them.

Interestingly, Carlos Gonzalez's name has started to appear in Giants rumor mills. BobbyE even said that the Giants have expressed interest in CarGo in years past. They would certainly be buying high right now.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Zobrist want's to play second base most often, so the Giants have been ruled out.
Too bad. Yeah, he's a little older, but I would rather have us sign him than not get anything at all.

It's like Musical Chairs, and the seats are starting to get taken. The FA market is a thin one. It's not like going to cars.com and being able to custom order a car, to choose among millions. It's more like a seedy used car lot out in the sticks that has like eight cars for sale. You know you're going to overpay for something that is not your dream. But you have to have a car, and that lot is the only game around.

And then when you do find a car that works for you, you find out it was sold to someone else - for less than you offered. LOL.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Zobrist want's to play second base most often, so the Giants have been ruled out.

OK, I hate to play the grammar nazi, but it should be "wants to play second base" - no contraction involved.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As quickly as Leake's market heated up, I think it cooled off. Nats are out of the running now, the $80M was too rich for them.

Interestingly, Carlos Gonzalez's name has started to appear in Giants rumor mills. BobbyE even said that the Giants have expressed interest in CarGo in years past. They would certainly be buying high right now.
CarGo's road numbers from 2015: .243/.294/.464. This three year (13-15) road numbers: .251/.305/.475. I really hope that Evans is smart enough to realize that its a proven fact that Rockies' offensive numbers get inflated with their home numbers. The guy is rather pedestrian outside of Colorado, considering his salary and the players it will take to acquire him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad. Yeah, he's a little older, but I would rather have us sign him than not get anything at all.

It's like Musical Chairs, and the seats are starting to get taken. The FA market is a thin one. It's not like going to cars.com and being able to custom order a car, to choose among millions. It's more like a seedy used car lot out in the sticks that has like eight cars for sale. You know you're going to overpay for something that is not your dream. But you have to have a car, and that lot is the only game around.

And then when you do find a car that works for you, you find out it was sold to someone else - for less than you offered. LOL.
Oh Mays, why do we need to get someone for the sake of getting someone? A free agent signed does not automatically mean net gain.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Mays, why do we need to get someone for the sake of getting someone? A free agent signed does not automatically mean net gain.
I want a pitcher, for sure.

I would like an OFer, but I am OK with holding serve in the OF (despite our discussion yesterday).

Give me Leake/Cueto and I will give the off-season a B/B+. Give me Leake/Cueto AND Gordon and I give the off-season a B+/A-. If we are done, I give us a C/C+.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CarGo's road numbers from 2015: .243/.294/.464. This three year (13-15) road numbers: .251/.305/.475. I really hope that Evans is smart enough to realize that its a proven fact that Rockies' offensive numbers get inflated with their home numbers. The guy is rather pedestrian outside of Colorado, considering his salary and the players it will take to acquire him.

Yeah, not to mention any player coming off a 40 homer season is going to be a premium cost.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa. Who said we should get someone for the sake of getting someone?

Signing Zobrist as opposed to signing no one is an improvement for us. That's what I said. He is better than Blanco, would be insurance if Pagan went down, or Panik, would be a big bat, has championship experience, and is a great clubhouse presence. Now, one can argue whether he was worth it. The FO who has won three WSCs agreed with me. You do not.

I rest my case.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa. Who said we should get someone for the sake of getting someone?

Signing Zobrist as opposed to signing no one is an improvement for us. That's what I said. He is better than Blanco, would be insurance if Pagan went down, or Panik, would be a big bat, has championship experience, and is a great clubhouse presence. Now, one can argue whether he was worth it. The FO who has won three WSCs agreed with me. You do not.

I rest my case.
Then I misunderstood your analogy. I thought you were arguing that someone has to be signed. As for Zobrist, he is a good player but prior to 2015 he had a couple of down offensive years for him. However, what would have made me nervous would be if he was signed to a 3 or 4 year deal. The guy will probably produce close to career norms in 2016 and probably 2017 but then he gets to age 37 in the third year of his deal and I wonder how many positions he will still be able to play. He wants to stay at 2nd base (which is why I think the Giants were better without him, why move Panik off when he has similar numbers, is a lot younger and is much more affordable) but as we've seen with Freddy Sanchez and Marco Scutaro, things get very dicey with mid to late 30s second basemen. I would have been more excited about the idea of signing him if it was primarily for the outfield and was a 2 year deal.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I misunderstood your analogy. I thought you were arguing that someone has to be signed. As for Zobrist, he is a good player but prior to 2015 he had a couple of down offensive years for him. However, what would have made me nervous would be if he was signed to a 3 or 4 year deal. The guy will probably produce close to career norms in 2016 and probably 2017 but then he gets to age 37 in the third year of his deal and I wonder how many positions he will still be able to play. He wants to stay at 2nd base (which is why I think the Giants were better without him, why move Panik off when he has similar numbers, is a lot younger and is much more affordable) but as we've seen with Freddy Sanchez and Marco Scutaro, things get very dicey with mid to late 30s second basemen. I would have been more excited about the idea of signing him if it was primarily for the outfield and was a 2 year deal.

I appreciate your conciliatory words, really.

Speaking for me, I would rather push to win a WSC every few years and rebuild in between, than have an OK team every year that isn't really a contender. That was the point of getting Zobrist. I didn't say someone HAS to be signed, I said: "I would rather have us sign him than not get anything at all." I'm no Pulitzer Prize winner, but that's pretty clear.

It's all about Teh Window. Zobrist would have been a solid addition, irrespective of the cost. We obviously have the money (that's how we made the offer), and getting him would have been better than doing nothing at all. That's all I said, and all I meant. Agreed, he wanted to play more at 2B, and probably didn't want to move out West. And I fully agree with your last sentence. But that's my used car analogy. You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes (ie, pay more than you want) you get what you need.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the options left (I would have given Heyward the 20-plus M and eight-to-nine years he wanted)

Targets:
Wei-Yin Chen
Doug Fister
Austin Jackson (would have to see what type of $ he wants)

AVOID:
Cueto
Ian Kennedy

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the options left (I would have given Heyward the 20-plus M and eight-to-nine years he wanted)

Targets:
Wei-Yin Chen
Doug Fister

AVOID:
Cueto
Ian Kennedy
No Gordon? No Leake?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Targets:
Wei-Yin Chen
Doug Fister

AVOID:
Cueto
Ian Kennedy

Long time, no see. :wave:

Is health what concerns you about Cueto? I personally think he could end up being the bargain of the offseason.

I really like Chen, but we'd have to surrender another pick, basically punting the 2016 draft. I'm also always weary of Boras, Chen's agent. Chen will probably end up receiving a $100M somewhere.

Jackson falls into the same category as Parra for me, uninspiring bat with an inconsistent glove. Could probably be outplayed by J/Mac for $1M combined.

Agreed on Fister, IF we decide to go after a big outfielder.

I wouldn't mind Kennedy on a short deal, but as another Boras client, I doubt he'll settle. A one-year show me deal would be excellent, I do think the San Diego defense let him down and he could be a solid add. If it's a big contract, avoid.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing the contract Zobrist got, I am very happy that he went elsewhere.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long time, no see. :wave:

Is health what concerns you about Cueto? I personally think he could end up being the bargain of the offseason.

I really like Chen, but we'd have to surrender another pick, basically punting the 2016 draft. I'm also always weary of Boras, Chen's agent. Chen will probably end up receiving a $100M somewhere.

Jackson falls into the same category as Parra for me, uninspiring bat with an inconsistent glove. Could probably be outplayed by J/Mac for $1M combined.

Agreed on Fister, IF we decide to go after a big outfielder.

I wouldn't mind Kennedy on a short deal, but as another Boras client, I doubt he'll settle. A one-year show me deal would be excellent, I do think the San Diego defense let him down and he could be a solid add. If it's a big contract, avoid.
A 1-year, prove it contract may be a VERY good idea for Kennedy. That could conceivably turn our 2016 2nd rounder into a 2017 sandwich.