• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Having signed Samardzija, what else should we do?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What can the Giants spend now that they've signed Jeff Samardzija?

Some possibilities put forth in the article (assumes we have appx $30mm left in the budget):
  1. Kenta Maeda and Gerardo Parra
  2. Ben Zobrist and Doug Fister
  3. Justin Upton and Bartolo Colon
  4. Alex Gordon and (younger pitcher acquired in trade)
  5. Jason Heyward and Chris Heston

Not limited to these choices. Fire away.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raise prices then suck some more. Kiss their first round pick goodbye. What a waste we could have gotten someone good with that pick. Instead we got some overpriced WR trying to play baseball and is coming off a horrid year. What they need to do is spend less money and on good players.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raise prices then suck some more. Kiss their first round pick goodbye. What a waste we could have gotten someone good with that pick. Instead we got some overpriced WR trying to play baseball and is coming off a horrid year. What they need to do is spend less money and on good players.

Do you live life with this much doom and gloom in your soul? Scrabble is durable and would be a pretty solid #3 on any team. Is he Greinke? No. He also didn't cost 200 mil. If we sign Leake, I think we will be sitting pretty.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some possibilities put forth in the article (assumes we have appx $30mm left in the budget):
  1. Kenta Maeda and Gerardo Parra
  2. Ben Zobrist and Doug Fister
  3. Justin Upton and Bartolo Colon
  4. Alex Gordon and (younger pitcher acquired in trade)
  5. Jason Heyward and Chris Heston

Not limited to these choices. Fire away.

Leake and Heyward, then maybe some bullpen help. Cost-wise it may not make sense but a guy can dream, right?

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you live life with this much doom and gloom in your soul? Scrabble is durable and would be a pretty solid #3 on any team. Is he Greinke? No. He also didn't cost 200 mil. If we sign Leake, I think we will be sitting pretty.

There are a lot of people durable. That does not make them good. And I did not want Greinke either. He was too old and wanted too many years on his contract. Too bad we forgot how to draft quality SPs. Otherwise we would have someone in the wings ready to come up and be the 3rd or 4th SP instead of vastly over paying one. I hope we finally started doing that again in the past couple of drafts, but I am not holding my breath.

I would like Leake though. i would rather have gotten him and a RF and forget Samardzjia or however you spell it.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of people durable. That does not make them good. And I did not want Greinke either. He was too old and wanted too many years on his contract. Too bad we forgot how to draft quality SPs. Otherwise we would have someone in the wings ready to come up and be the 3rd or 4th SP instead of vastly over paying one. I hope we finally started doing that again in the past couple of drafts, but I am not holding my breath.

I would like Leake though. i would rather have gotten him and a RF and forget Samardzjia or however you spell it.

Ok, so you would have been ok with Leake and who else? You realize that our rotation was in DESPERATE need for an innings eater or two, right?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the cash Price and Grienke, and Zimmerman got (a pitcher I think Szmardjia is every bit as good as), I think the Giants did well with this deal for Szmardzjiandn.......There is a long list of examples of NL pitchers who didnt perform quite as well in the AL......This guy had his best season in the NL, and that ballpark should play well for him...I like this deal in comparison with the other money being dished out

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looks like NN and Chucky had a hate child...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, is THAT what they need to do?

Why aren't you the Giants GM?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that the answer is always in free agency? No to bullpen help, we've got a stacked relief corps and more waiting in the wings in the minor leagues. No need for any veteran leadership as the bullpen has plenty of that as well.

The outfield is fine. No need to sign an outfielder.

The starting rotation is fine as well. I know that Cain, Peavy and Heston are gambles for the back end of the rotation but consider how many quality starting pitchers we have in the minor leagues. Sacramento's rotation will probably be Joe Biagini, Ty Blach, Clayton Blackburn, Chris Stratton and Albert Suarez (a minor league free agent who had a great year in double A last year and is 26 years old). Further down in Richmond will probably be Tyler Beede, Jason Forjet, Matthew Gage, Chase Johnson, Matt Lujan and Adalberto Mejia. Not all of them will pan out but that sure is some deep rotations to call upon. If the rotation still needs help in July, there is the ability to trade for an upgrade. No need to add on to it now.

I realize that I'm in the minority on this one but I think the team doesn't need to add anyone else.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the cash Price and Grienke, and Zimmerman got (a pitcher I think Szmardjia is every bit as good as), I think the Giants did well with this deal for Szmardzjiandn.......There is a long list of examples of NL pitchers who didnt perform quite as well in the AL......This guy had his best season in the NL, and that ballpark should play well for him...I like this deal in comparison with the other money being dished out
Nobody asked you dirt. I know I'm not interested in your opinion.

TOM BRADY

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that the answer is always in free agency? No to bullpen help, we've got a stacked relief corps and more waiting in the wings in the minor leagues. No need for any veteran leadership as the bullpen has plenty of that as well.

The outfield is fine. No need to sign an outfielder.

The starting rotation is fine as well. I know that Cain, Peavy and Heston are gambles for the back end of the rotation but consider how many quality starting pitchers we have in the minor leagues. Sacramento's rotation will probably be Joe Biagini, Ty Blach, Clayton Blackburn, Chris Stratton and Albert Suarez (a minor league free agent who had a great year in double A last year and is 26 years old). Further down in Richmond will probably be Tyler Beede, Jason Forjet, Matthew Gage, Chase Johnson, Matt Lujan and Adalberto Mejia. Not all of them will pan out but that sure is some deep rotations to call upon. If the rotation still needs help in July, there is the ability to trade for an upgrade. No need to add on to it now.

I realize that I'm in the minority on this one but I think the team doesn't need to add anyone else.

Under normal circumstances, I would tend to agree. But we have a unique opportunity with a number of key players hitting their prime, or perhaps about to exit their prime (aka "Teh Window"). Upgrading a rookie OF on the roster for a premium OF now would take advantage of that window. It might add the wins we need to get to the top again.

I for one want WS Championships or nothing. Having been to the mountaintop three times in five years (now six), I don't want to climb halfway up anymore.

Hey, just check your own tagline.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under normal circumstances, I would tend to agree. But we have a unique opportunity with a number of key players hitting their prime, or perhaps about to exit their prime (aka "Teh Window"). Upgrading a rookie OF on the roster for a premium OF now would take advantage of that window. It might add the wins we need to get to the top again.

I for one want WS Championships or nothing. Having been to the mountaintop three times in five years (now six), I don't want to climb halfway up anymore.

I understand that Mays, but look at how those three teams were built. How many of them, outside of Barry Zito, were big name free agents signed by the team? Our championships were built by the farm system, smart trades and bargain bin free agents and waiver claims. To me, splurging on multiple big name free agents smacks of desperation and these teams (outside of the Yankees in 2009) don't typically win the World Series.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not sure I agree with the strategy, but I certainly agree with the mindset.

I am not OK with the team standing pat the rest of the off-season. I think we need 1 more SP, and in a perfect world, a CF (although a LF with good D is acceptable, looking at the CF market right now). I will be OK if ALL we get is Leake, but I would not be super-excited (all right, super-excited is probably not possible anymore). For me to be excited, we would need Leake (or comparable) AND Heyward/Gordon/Cespedes/comparable.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that Mays, but look at how those three teams were built. How many of them, outside of Barry Zito, were big name free agents signed by the team? Our championships were built by the farm system, smart trades and bargain bin free agents and waiver claims. To me, splurging on multiple big name free agents smacks of desperation and these teams (outside of the Yankees in 2009) don't typically win the World Series.
But do we have the pieces in hand right now to follow that model? We have nice pieces coming up, but championship pieces?

You have to win with what you have. 6 years ago we had 3 SUPER prospects/kids who were of that quality. Now we have cash with a supporting system (and a great offensive club in place).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal, I wanted to be the one who "liked" you into quadruple figures. Congrats.

Rodney_Dance_Caddyshack1.gif

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK -- who? Who is durable and better than Shark2?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I repeat...

"I am not a fan of this deal."

But his durability, and his perceived FLOOR make the signing more and more OK by me. If we can have a #3 pitcher who is a work-horse, that is pretty awesome. Even if he only gives us 4.50 ERA baseball. 200 IP will allow the bully to stay fresh and continue to bail the starters out deep into the season.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I repeat...

"I am not a fan of this deal."

But his durability, and his perceived FLOOR make the signing more and more OK by me. If we can have a #3 pitcher who is a work-horse, that is pretty awesome. Even if he only gives us 4.50 ERA baseball. 200 IP will allow the bully to stay fresh and continue to bail the starters out deep into the season.

Keep in mind several upside items about JS, too, in no particular order:
  1. He'll be back in the NL, where he has performed better.
  2. He will have a true pitcher's park for half his games.
  3. He will have a great defense behind him (and in front of him, for that matter!)
  4. He will be working with Righetti and Bochy. I suspect they see some untapped potential there.
  5. He is getting PAID, big-league style.
  6. He will be pitching to the finest catcher of this generation (if not longer).
  7. He will have one of the better bullpens behind him.