• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has Texas agreed to equal revenue sharing?

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is everybody so worried about equal revenue sharing? Face it, it does nothing to foster parity or competitiveness in a conference. Indiana and Northwestern still suck at football in the Big 10, Duke and UVA suck in the ACC, Vandy and Ole Miss still stink it up in the SEC. So what's the big deal? It does nothing but make the lower schools feel better or what? If that is the case why did NU leave, and why is A&M leaving, they weren't really the worst...they're just throwing a hissy fit is all.
But Vandy and Ole Miss still have the money to fund all of their men's and women's sports. They all have other "non-revenue sports" that they're better at, but the money for those comes from sharing the conference football pie. And yes, it makes them feel better.

At the end of the day, no matter how good you are on the field, you can't be the champion of anything if no one wants to play you.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What politics? Explain to me how Texas can force every other school in the conference to vote the way they want. Be specific. Show me HOW Texas can make teams vote against their best interests, then tell me why everyone in their athletic department should not be fired if that is the case.

So Kansas, ksu etc, just decided that Texas and ou should get more money because they like them?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly right, and that's exactly why you should do it.

1-2 million isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things for most teams, but it does make a difference for some. Even more important is, it puts the entire conference on equal footing so far as the conference's revenue is concerned.

It's one thing if Florida makes millions more every year due to our ticket sales and merchandising, it's a completely different thing if we're getting a larger chunk of the SEC pie, as being part of a conference should have equal benefits for all.

In truth, equal revenue sharing takes little from schools like Texas, Ohio State, Florida etc and the goodwill it promotes within the smaller schools is well worth it imo.

Look what it's done to the Big 12, create schisms and factions within the conference and all for what? Pocket change at that level.

Goodwill isn't the problem, competitiveness is...KU get less than Texas from the Big 12 yet they are still second in total profit from athletics in the Big 12 because their basketball program kicks ass.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas to the Pac-10 doesn't make any sense. And don't pretend it's about basketball, if they wanted the best basketball conference they would go to the ACC. There are 2 good programs in the Pac-10.

USC
UCLA
Colorado
Washington
California
Stanford
All have more National Titles than Wisconsin...

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Kansas, ksu etc, just decided that Texas and ou should get more money because they like them?

Once again - show me WHO forced them to vote for it? You do realize the revenue sharing plan was devised by Nebraska, not Texas.

This is the problem. Too many people here long on commentary, and short on facts.

Texas didn't create this revenue plan. And as far as I'm aware, no one has voted to end it. You can't blame Texas for that. Blame the AD's that DON'T vote in their own interests.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What do you mean by forced? Obviously no one from the university of Texas held a gun to their heads and threatened to kill them. But our point is that those schools didn't just come up with the idea for unequal revenue sharing cause they thought Texas was swell. Ut, ou and a&m exerted leverage to get more money. That is what politics is.

WoodyHayes1951

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are confusing REVENUE with PROFIT.

Of course Kansas makes profit. They have an adorable 16 sport athletic department.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean by forced? Obviously no one from the university of Texas held a gun to their heads and threatened to kill them. But our point is that those schools didn't just come up with the idea for unequal revenue sharing cause they thought Texas was swell. Ut, ou and a&m exerted leverage to get more money. That is what politics is.

So, when this plan was put in place......when the conference was created - what leverage did they exert?

Please explain this to me. Remember at the time, Texas, OU and A&M all sucked in football, basketball, baseball - pretty much every revenue sport.

I'm asking for specifics. There is this idea that Texas controls other schools, but NO ONE can tell me how.