• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harvin wont be a returner?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So i was reading that Tate and Michaels are most likely our return men this season. This made me think that they want to protect Harvin even if that means removing him from the return game. I was a little shocked after reading that seeing as Washington was one of the best returners in the NFL and they released him and i believed it was because of Harvin and his tremendous skill as a returner. What do you all think about the thought of Harvin not returning punts and kickoffs? Do you like it or would you rather Harvin do it and risk injury?

As far as Punt returns i believe Tate will be electrifying in that role. Sure he wont be as good as say Harvin or Washington but heck he might just surprise us all and be the next best thing. I have to admit i love watching Tate run with the ball in his hands.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin would be a much better option. I can only assume it's because his history of injuries. Either way, good luck this season. Can't wait for week 2

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if i am correct i believe Tate's first punt return in the NFL went for something like 65 yards.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if i am correct i believe Tate's first punt return in the NFL went for something like 65 yards.

Not saying he isn't a good returner, I'm just saying Harvin is an elite returner. Plus I fucking hate Tate and his no talking ass. Do you have stats that prove Tate is a better returner than Harvin? Nope, didn't think so.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying he isn't a good returner, I'm just saying Harvin is an elite returner. Plus I fucking hate Tate and his no talking ass. Do you have stats that prove Tate is a better returner than Harvin? Nope, didn't think so.

This is the best news I have heard in months!! I don't need Tate to be a better PR than Harvin, I need Harvin to be a better WR than Tate.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured they got rid of Washington for salary cap reasons, after all Harvin is not cheap and they wanted to make sure they had room to sign the young guys on defense and start planing for Wilson big pay day.

As for the punt returner I never really liked Washington, Yes he was great and could pull off amazing moments but there where several times where he'd go backwards and cost us yards. And most importantly it never looked like he held the ball tight enough for me. He lost at least three or four balls he shouldn't have simply because he let the ball hang loose. And to me turnovers are killer. So I'm all for giving Tate or anyone else a chance.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think it is smart. Harvin needs to be used on offense. On returns just one more chance to get hurt. His production on offense outweighs what might be lost having someone else do returns. A no brained IMO.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the best news I have heard in months!! I don't need Tate to be a better PR than Harvin, I need Harvin to be a better WR than Tate.
:agree:

I thought Harvin did PR, but never did KO with his other team, or did I have that backward? Anyway, we were told up front that he wouldn't be doing both and I didn't want to see him do either. We need Rice and Harvin to be healthy all year. Tate is far more replaceable.

nflspense

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally, Harvin won't really be used as a returner. Because if we're winning, I don't see Carroll risking the injury. I hope we only use him in situations where we really need the big play.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of Harvins contract is guaranteed?

Tigwelds1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Harvin can't catch punt returns so he is strictly a kickoff guy, so since he CAN'T do punt returns I'd say Tate is most likely better

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are plenty of guys on the roster, or fighting for a roster spot that can return kicks, there is just no reason to have Harvin doing it.

Christine Michael: I list him only because he was listed as a possiblity for kick offs. He returned 10 (217 yards) while at A&M. We'll see what happens if it really is him, though I would have tended not to list him because of such a small sample size.

Doug Baldwin: Harvin's arrive will inevitably lessen his role on the offense, so another role may be in order to get him on the field. Though no returns in his first 2 seasons in Seattle, Baldwin had quite a bit of experience at Stanford. 48 punt returns (211 yards) and 30 kick returns (706 yards) there.

Greg Herd: 17 kick off returns (364 yards) at Eastern Washington.

Brett Swain: Like Baldwin, he hasn't had any at the NFL level, but he did return 23 punts at San Diego State, though for only 88 yards.

Golden Tate: The favorite for PR duties, though even he doesn't have a great bevy of NFL experience at it.

Justin Veltung: The rookie out of Idaho had extensive return experience in college. 33 PR (207 yards) which included 2 TDs and 80 kick off returns (1743 yards) that also produced 2 TDs.

Bryan Walters: The former Charger returned 8 punts in his 4 games there, and also had 53 PR (396 yards) and 74 KoR (1591 yards) while still playing at Cornell.

Will Blackmon: Has the most return experience of anyone on the team outside of Harvin. 67 PR (634 yards) with 3 TDs and 81 KoR (1674 yards) as a pro. Though, if you go back a way, he also had 60 PR (486 yards) with a TD and 50 KoR (1251 yards) with a TD at Boston College in '04-'05.

Walter Thurmond: 15 PR (165 yards) with a TD and 33 KoR (788 yards) at Oregon, it would be his best chance at consistent playing time if he could win the returner job, as the CB position is very stacked and he appears to have been left behind.

DeShawn Shead: Another guy from a small school who returned KOs. 26 returns for 601 yards at Portland State.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Harvin and Tate splitting PR duties. If the Hawks tied or down in the 4th then I have no problem with Harvin in at PR. Early in the game or with a lead then Tate should be doing the PR duties. Percey Harvin is to valuable to get banged up on full time PR duties.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Harvin and Tate splitting PR duties. If the Hawks tied or down in the 4th then I have no problem with Harvin in at PR. Early in the game or with a lead then Tate should be doing the PR duties. Percey Harvin is to valuable to get banged up on full time PR duties.

I doubt that Harvin is in the discussion as the PR, as he has not had a PR in his entire NFL career. His only returns have been on kick offs.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

where in my post did i EVER say Tate was a Better returner than Harvin? Nope didn't think i said something so foolish.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that Harvin is in the discussion as the PR, as he has not had a PR in his entire NFL career. His only returns have been on kick offs.

My mistake, I have no idea why I was thinking PR. I still feel the same as quoted above for KO in late game situations.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it looks like Tate is in for Punt returns and Blackmon is doing the kickoff return duty With Micheals, who might get a few shots at in this first preseason game.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it looks like Tate is in for Punt returns and Blackmon is doing the kickoff return duty With Micheals, who might get a few shots at in this first preseason game.

This is what I wanted to see before the Harvin injury, so I think it should work pretty well now that he's gone down.