• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harvin (The Story So Far)

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin's been mentioned in a couple of places, mostly because he's tough to rank. He coud be anywhere from top 5 to 105 and nobody would be surprised. All depends on staying on the field.

So I looked into him, hoping I could prop him up, since he would be fun to own... and here's what I found:

(Bear in mind that when he's able to play he's usually dominant.)

High School

Suspended one game as a junior for unsportsmanlike conduct

As a senior suspended for 2 games + by the Virginia High School League for a collection of incidents - bumping an official, inappropriate language, getting into a fight in a basketball game so the ref had to stop the clock, et cetera - which also booted him off the track team prior to a critical meet.

Florida

"Injury-plagued" freshman season - at least two different injuries kept him out of games or really limited him, including a neck sprain.

As a sophomore, missed two games with a sinus infection, had soreness in his knee and hip throughout the season.

Before his junior year, had heel surgery that was supposed to keep him from suffering the achilles tendonitis, knee tendonitis, hip flexor, hamstring, quad issues he had been suffering to date.

Was expected to be ready for the start of the season but didn't see the field until a week or two later. Was knocked out late in the season with an ankle injury and missed the SEC Championship game, but manned up and had a great performance in the BCS title game.

Announced he would skip his senior year and go pro, and promptly tested positive for pot.

Rookie Year

Hospitalized overnight between flights on his way to rookie minicamp (virus/dehydration).

A couple of months later was excused from the rookie symposium for illness and sent home.

Missed a game because of migraines, and passed out from them at a later practice and went to the hospital.

Missed two games (and 36 practices) from migraines.

In the off-season, was diagnosed with sleep apnea and apparently started using CPAP and medications - and his migraines went away. But he says in an interview a few months later that he's off his meds and makes vague comments about the migraines being related to some neck thing that apparently got fixed.

Plays all 16 games!

Publicly yells at his coach, repeatedly. Hurts his ankle Week 10 with ankle sprain - diagnosed as the kind of sprain you come back from in a few weeks, but then there's a lot hemming and hawing from the Vikings about what the injury is and when he'll be back, and then they say he's not doing what the trainers want him to do, and then he's on IR, and they trade him away in the off-season.

Completely unrelated hip problem requiring surgery and again he's slower to return than expected and has one reception on the season.

Fun player, but man - this guy has more red flags than a Chinese embassy.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picked him up last year and stashed him on my bench when he was supposed to have returned by midseason. A complete bust.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin's been mentioned in a couple of places, mostly because he's tough to rank. He coud be anywhere from top 5 to 105 and nobody would be surprised. All depends on staying on the field.

So I looked into him, hoping I could prop him up, since he would be fun to own... and here's what I found:

Fun player, but man - this guy has more red flags than a Chinese embassy.

Great stuff - I think that says it all - - you can't fathom how refreshing it is to see you posting thoughts like that. ....

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's definitely a gamble. I remember Jerry Rice saying something like many Wrs at this stage have the ability to make plays while knowing there surroundings so they don't get hit hard in a weak spot when they get tackled to avoid injury. He went on to say that Harvin does not have that ability and it shows when he plays and in the injury report.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ugghh, I knew he was bad off, didn't realize it was quite that bad. I'd still take a shot on im if he fell far enough, but highly doubtful he'd get into my comfort range.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is... 5th, 6th, 7th is comfort for me. If Harvin was no health risk he would be in the top 10 WR easily.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a migraine just reading that. Good stuff, Wil.

I have enough issues with seemingly healthy players with more ethical backgrounds. I have Harvin ranked so low that someone is bound to take him before I have to gamble on him.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
couldn't pull the trigger in the top 10 rounds, except for in my work league.
Moving up from 10 teams last year to 12 teams this year. PPR league, start 3WR and 1flex. I'd gamble on him as my WR4, if I took him as my WR3, I'd be drafting a couple more WRs within the next 3-4 picks to back him up. Especially if he falls. The run first offense scares me away just as much as the injury history. Very tough combo to take a chance on.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has the potential to be really big as I would think the plan is for him to be a big part of the offense and their receiving corps is nothing to boast about. It is the health risk. I would take another gamble on him if he drops low enough. I picked another Seahawk receiver off waivers last year but he was wildly inconsistent and I ended up waiving him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin isn't someone I pick until later rounds. I do think he could have a great season, but the injury risk does make me pause. He is the classic high risk high reward type IMO.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin isn't someone I pick until later rounds. I do think he could have a great season, but the injury risk does make me pause. He is the classic high risk high reward type IMO.

Is Harvin going yo return kick/punts? I had Randall Cobb a couple of years ago when he was doing everything. He ended up being a great pick up.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't touch him. First of all he isn't gonna be needed to produce every game on a team like Seattle with their defense and second he has yet to really have a profound impact as a seahawk on the field and I'm not buying Seattle being even better offensively because of him because its not Seattle's philosophy.