• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harper Benching

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes you have to feel bad for these guys.

Harper goes too hard and injures himself? THAT GUY IS A PRIMA DONNA!!!!!!!

Harper goes easy on an obvious out to avoid injury? THAT GUY IS A PRIMA DONNA!!!!!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Harper goes easy on an obvious out to avoid injury? THAT GUY IS A PRIMA DONNA!!!!!

There is no way for him to play the game the right way!

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much...you can't win with the fans who use that double standard.

Look at Ellsbury for example....his 2 major injuries in his career were on hustle plays that resulted in collision/hard impact injuries. So when he goes all out and gets hurt, critics are quick to point out he's injury prone and made of glass. But on the other hand if he were to avoid this injuries by not going as hard, then he's "young punk who needs to be benched."

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just a small wake up call to him to remind him that he needs to prove himself before he is the superstar he thinks he is. I liked the benching and I think he should have been benched for the whole game or maybe 2. The manager is making a point to a young player and I liked it. You don't see it much in baseball anymore especially when it comes to "superstar" players, which Harper is not. He needs to prove himself and should do everything to prove to everyone that he is or will be an elite bat for years to come.

I really do pity the mentally retarded.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do pity the mentally retarded.

Why because I have a differing opinion than yours? I understand where you guys are coming from. The guy is in a no win situation. Should it have been kept more quiet of course. It was an internal issue that should have stayed that way. Different managers have a different way of managing their players, there is a reason they are MLB managers and we are fantasy team managers...

I am sorry that you pity me for being "mentally retarded" but I pity you for not respecting others opinions even if you vehemently disagree with them :)

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way for him to play the game the right way!

I don't think that's the case, but repeatedly smashing your bat on the ground after a K, or setting down your batting helmet and bat, waiting for someone to come grab it and give your your glove after striking out to end the inning, throwing your bat and helmet in disgust after striking out, pulling yourself from the lineup 5 games into the season, is all prima dona, tantrum bullshit. Especially when you're 21. How is it shocking to you that the manager may put him on a short leash?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize that you're acting like Harper never hustles? This was a one time thing that was a result of an injury.

You're just looking for any excuse to blame 'young punks,' and it's fairly obvious.

Nick Swisher: nice lack of hustle, bro | HardballTalk

Is Nick Swisher a young punk also?

Well first off he isn't young.

That's unfortunate, but he deserves the same as anyone else. Bench him for the next game. It is pretty simple, lack of hustle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why because I have a differing opinion than yours? I understand where you guys are coming from. The guy is in a no win situation. Should it have been kept more quiet of course. It was an internal issue that should have stayed that way. Different managers have a different way of managing their players, there is a reason they are MLB managers and we are fantasy team managers...

I am sorry that you pity me for being "mentally retarded" but I pity you for not respecting others opinions even if you vehemently disagree with them :)

I'm not sure you do understand where we're coming from.

Bryce Harper was out and short of being the Flash he was going to be out no matter how fast he ran out of the box or through the base. He's also playing through an injury. I don't understand all this needing to prove himself nonsense but how exactly would he have "proved himself" had he listened to you idiots, ran as hard as he could, further injured himself, and landed on the DL?

I don't doubt that you would wear a gasoline suit or any other macho nonsense to switch places with Bryce Harper but sometimes holding back is the "right way" to play the game.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well first off he isn't young.

That's unfortunate, but he deserves the same as anyone else. Bench him for the next game. It is pretty simple, lack of hustle.

My point is that these things aren't exclusive to just young players. Older guys do this too, and in many cases people will look the other way when it does happen. You're arguing that teams 'can't let young punks run the locker room,' but what about older players who think they've earned the right to do whatever they can? Does that help a team any?

Case in point....lack of outcry when Swisher doesn't hustle, but if Harper does, he gets ripped all day.

Now personally, did you bash Swisher when that happened and called him a punk etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bryce Harper was out and short of being the Flash he was going to be out no matter how fast he ran out of the box or through the base. He's also playing through an injury. I don't understand all this needing to prove himself nonsense but how exactly would he have "proved himself" had he listened to you idiots, ran as hard as he could, further injured himself, and landed on the DL?

I don't doubt that you would wear a gasoline suit or any other macho nonsense to switch places with Bryce Harper but sometimes holding back is the "right way" to play the game.

It doesn't matter if he was out and it wasn't close. You hustle on every play, I don't mean you sprint after you are out. Jog and touch first and go back in the dugout. Is it too much to ask. If you let him slide one time, what if he doesn't hustle and the guy drops the ball on one play.

You never assume, you make an ass outta you and me.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that these things aren't exclusive to just young players. Older guys do this too, and in many cases people will look the other way when it does happen. You're arguing that teams 'can't let young punks run the locker room,' but what about older players who think they've earned the right to do whatever they can? Does that help a team any?

Case in point....lack of outcry when Swisher doesn't hustle, but if Harper does, he gets ripped all day.

I guess you aren't getting it. The Indians don't get much exposure and Swisher isn't the most popular guy.

Harper is sort of like Lebron, when something little happens it is gonna be an overreaction and blown out of proportion. With the hype, it is something he is gonna have to deal with AND the fans. No suprise.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter if he was out and it wasn't close. You hustle on every play, I don't mean you sprint after you are out. Jog and touch first and go back in the dugout. Is it too much to ask. If you let him slide one time, what if he doesn't hustle and the guy drops the ball on one play.

Fuck that.

You either run full speed and dive head first into the bag like a man or you can take your prima donna candy ass home. Don't give me that sissy jog lightly bullshit. How much is that prima donna getting paid?! He can bust his ass!!! And if that lands him on the DL then he's a man and he's earned my respect - again. Because that's important.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why? What does that accomplish?

If a player lines out to the shortstop, he probably doesn't run down the line because he's already out. Why is it any different when a throw is made to first base? If you're already out, why bother going and touching the bag? All it really accomplishes is slowing down the game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's the case, but repeatedly smashing your bat on the ground after a K, or setting down your batting helmet and bat, waiting for someone to come grab it and give your your glove after striking out to end the inning, throwing your bat and helmet in disgust after striking out, pulling yourself from the lineup 5 games into the season, is all prima dona, tantrum bullshit. Especially when you're 21. How is it shocking to you that the manager may put him on a short leash?

Smashing your bat on the ground is nothing more than frustration, and expecting more of yourself. I did it. I hated striking out, especially with runners on base. I had worked really hard to become a decent hitter and get myself into the starting lineup, and I wanted to get the job done every time. When I didn't it was frustrating.

And I can't think of a single Major Leaguer who walks back to the dugout after making the last out of any sort. In fact, we didn't even do it on my high school team. Someone "picked us up" and brought our gloves out to us, and the base coaches took the helmets and bats back into the dugout.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? What does that accomplish?

If a player lines out to the shortstop, he probably doesn't run down the line because he's already out. Why is it any different when a throw is made to first base? If you're already out, why bother going and touching the bag? All it really accomplishes is slowing down the game.

More importantly, why stop at first base?

If Shane really believes that "anything can happen" and "never assume" then shouldn't Harper have turned that corner and rounded the bases even though the first base ump called him out? If that's the attitude he wants to take then it's the only rational outcome that I can see. Perhaps Harper could have rounded the bases twice for extra points.

Hey, ya never know!

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he's playing injured then maybe he shouldn't be playing at all. If jogging to first base is going to land him on the DL then he probably should be out there doing anything at all. I'm not saying he has to sprint, just make an effort like you care to some degree. I understand players get frustrated we all get frustrated at work. However, he should still act professional. I know I would jog out every ball if they were paying me what they are paying him. If i'm hurting so bad that if I have to jog/run that I may further injure myself and miss a significant amount of time, I have an obligation to tell the manager, and then he is obligated to protect me from further injury. If he's that delicate maybe he should ask for a trade over to an AL team so he an DH the rest of his life and become Billy Butler 2.0.

I'm sure you would wear the gasoline suit as well to switch places with Bryce Haper, we're all in denial to think we wouldn't. To get millions to play a game and be set for life by the age of 30 sounds pretty nice to me.

I understand as well where you are coming from saying he was out, he knew he was out why run out the ball or jog out the ball. However, what if he hustled down the line and the throw to the first baseman was bad, or the first baseman dropped it and had he just made an effort he would have been safe? There are many ways to look at it. And by no means am I macho in anyway. I'll be the first to admit that. I don't think there is anything macho about running/jogging 90ft down a line just to show you care.

We differ on opinions and I get that, so please don't call me an idiot just because we see things differently. I hope you don't deliberate this way at work.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also doesn't matter what we think. His manager wants him to play a certain way, he is playing for that team so he should respect that. I'm sure we've all had bosses that we dislike and don't agree with the way they do things, but because they are the boss we have to do it said way. This is the same situation. The important part is Williams should have kept this internal and when asked why Harper is not playing he should have used the old "He's played "x" amount of days and we just wanted to give him a day off."

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's playing injured then maybe he shouldn't be playing at all. If jogging to first base is going to land him on the DL then he probably should be out there doing anything at all. I'm not saying he has to sprint, just make an effort like you care to some degree. I understand players get frustrated we all get frustrated at work. However, he should still act professional. I know I would jog out every ball if they were paying me what they are paying him. If i'm hurting so bad that if I have to jog/run that I may further injure myself and miss a significant amount of time, I have an obligation to tell the manager, and then he is obligated to protect me from further injury. If he's that delicate maybe he should ask for a trade over to an AL team so he an DH the rest of his life and become Billy Butler 2.0.

I'm sure you would wear the gasoline suit as well to switch places with Bryce Haper, we're all in denial to think we wouldn't. To get millions to play a game and be set for life by the age of 30 sounds pretty nice to me.

I understand as well where you are coming from saying he was out, he knew he was out why run out the ball or jog out the ball. However, what if he hustled down the line and the throw to the first baseman was bad, or the first baseman dropped it and had he just made an effort he would have been safe? There are many ways to look at it. And by no means am I macho in anyway. I'll be the first to admit that. I don't think there is anything macho about running/jogging 90ft down a line just to show you care.

We differ on opinions and I get that, so please don't call me an idiot just because we see things differently. I hope you don't deliberate this way at work.

He probably shouldn't be playing through this injury but for whatever reason he is. That doesn't make your macho "real men have no regard for their bodies" point intelligent. He hit the ball lightly back to the pitcher and was clearly out. There's just no real reason to have done anything more than he did.

I'm not calling you an idiot because we have different opinions. I'm calling you an idiot because your views are idiotic. There's a big difference.

I wouldn't want to trade places with Bryce Harper. My skin is way too thin and I give these guys a lot of credit for dealing with guys like you and Shane.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably shouldn't be playing through this injury but for whatever reason he is. That doesn't make your macho "real men have no regard for their bodies" point intelligent. He hit the ball lightly back to the pitcher and was clearly out. There's just no real reason to have done anything more than he did.

I'm not calling you an idiot because we have different opinions. I'm calling you an idiot because your views are idiotic. There's a big difference.

I wouldn't want to trade places with Bryce Harper. My skin is way too thin and I give these guys a lot of credit for dealing with guys like you and Shane.

Thank you for proving my point. It has been fun talking with you but I am out of this discussion. May we meet another time in another thread and hopefully you can respect others views even if you deem them "idiotic." Again I hope you do not deliberate with people at work like this.

Have a good day man and enjoy the beautiful weather. I know I will after work. It's BBQ, Beer, and Baseball season!

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for proving my point. It has been fun talking with you but I am out of this discussion. May we meet another time in another thread and hopefully you can respect others views even if you deem them "idiotic." Again I hope you do not deliberate with people at work like this.

Have a good day man and enjoy the beautiful weather. I know I will after work. It's BBQ, Beer, and Baseball season!

I don't know what you mean by respecting another person's views but pointing out that an idiotic viewpoint is idiotic seems pretty rational to me. If it makes you feel any better I hope you work so hard you break your neck. Cheers!