• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hardball talk: Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if the DH isn’t some crazy fad, if it actually works and if it’s not the road to damnation, what’s the argument for keeping the NL rule? At least one not based merely on tradition? That it allows for pinch hitting and double switching. The old NL strategy thing. Intrigue. Cunning, etc. As if those are riveting events at the heart of baseball. And as if there isn’t pinch hitting in the AL. But sure, we’ll give the NL rule people that. It’s their aesthetic choice — heck, it’s my aesthetic choice as an NL guy — but it that’s all it is. An aesthetic choice, on equal footing with the aesthetic choices of people who don’t like to see .109 hitters flail ridiculously and ineffectively. Who, while they enjoy laughing at Bartolo Colon taking a swing at a pitch as much as the next guy, maybe think that the sideshow element of that spectacle isn’t worth it.

And certainly isn’t worth it when you think about the risks. About how the two favorites in the National League this year just lost pitchers to injuries that never needed to happen. Injuries that, yes, could’ve happened to a position player hitting. Or could’ve happened to Wainwright and Scherzer while they were on the mound. But injuries which, in those cases, wouldn’t have been sustained in the pursuit of a pointless exercise. In an effort to keep a couple of 117-for-622 hitters on the field and to keep the tradition of 19th century baseball intact.

The strategy thing is incredibly over rated. For at least the first 2 pitcher at bats there is exactly zero strategy. Your pitcher is either pitching well and he's hitting regardless or he's getting shelled and being pinch hit for regardless. If it's close after the 5th inning MAYBE the manager has a decision to make but if he opts for the pitcher to hit that eliminates the strategy of the opposing manager of deciding who will face the pinch hitter.

Personally I have no issue with both leagues keeping their own rules but when the NL'ers start in with the "strategy" crap it's a crock. As if there's no strategy in deciding who is going to pitch to A Rod or Big Papi in the 6th inning in a big spot.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ "19th century baseball." Let's go ahead and change the amount of balls and strikes called while we're at it, since the 19th century game was so inferior.

The game is not all about hitting. They have home run derby for that.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ "19th century baseball." Let's go ahead and change the amount of balls and strikes called while we're at it, since the 19th century game was so inferior.

The game is not all about hitting. They have home run derby for that.

I could see why a Mets fan would say that.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be the same in both leagues, either a DH in the NL or the pitcher bats in the AL. They brought in interleague they should bring this in as well.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homeruns used to be frowned upon in baseball. People used to boo when someone hit one, no joke. It was almost considered cheating.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, let's go back to the old days in all sports:

Football? Fuck the forward pass. That's new fangled nonsense!
Hockey? What's with these pussy goalies, take that mask off.
Basketball? What's this shot clock crap?
NASCAR? No reason they all aren't in 1977 Chevy's

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, let's go back to the old days in all sports:

Football? Fuck the forward pass. That's new fangled nonsense!
Hockey? What's with these pussy goalies, take that mask off.
Basketball? What's this shot clock crap?
NASCAR? No reason they all aren't in 1977 Chevy's

Yup

No 3 pt line and dunking is illegal in basketball again. No slap shots in hockey either.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup

No 3 pt line and dunking is illegal in basketball again. No slap shots in hockey either.

And why is the bottom cut out of the basket? Get someone on a ladder to fish out the ball whenever someone scores. We're getting too lazy as a society.

And what's with these new fangled golf clubs and tennis rackets? What's wrong with wood?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball took like 100 years to evolve to what it is today. The rules werre ironed out over time, not set as concrete early in. Its almost a completely different game now.

Letting pitchers hit...better yet, forcing them to...is as silly as some of the wacky things ypu and i have listed that other sports evolved out of.

Sports change.

Last edited:

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the choices are dh for all or no interleague......no interleague hands down. I can't figure out who is the bigger pussies. The pitchers who claim they are athletes but dont want to hit or the AL fans that think an athlete should only do one thing.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the Mariners @ dodgers, , and watching pitchers strike out on 3 pitches 3 plus times a game I was thinking the same thing.....then you have Waino blowing his achilles! I mean top of the line pitchers are hard enough to come by, and they are fragile enough with TJ and all the other arm issues. I think opening up that investment to that risk is crazy.... but thats just me, a fan of a AL team....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a staunch NL guy who hates the very idea of the DH.

However, I came up with a compromise that even I may be able to live with...

Link the DH to the pitcher. If you pinch hit for him, the pitcher is taken out if the game as well. If you take the pitcher out, you have to assign a new hitter the next time he is due up (if you burn through 3 pitchers in an inning, you only have to apply 1 new DH).

This keeps the strategy that the purists love, but still keeps the short-attention-spanners happy by not forcing their players to be well rounded (or at least keeps their teams from having to make the decision that their one value is worth the lack of the other skill).

This naturally require the rosters to expand by at least 1, maybe 2 spots, so you know the union would be more than happy with the arrangement.

I wrote this up a few weeks back in the last AL v NL debate we had. This is the ONLY way I would ever be able to accept the DH in the NL. It still kills small ball, but at least it keeps some of the strategy in place for pitcher-management in regards to the lineup.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup

So you want a really, really loooong grand slam to count for 5 runs? Why don't we remove a base and pull the fences in about 100 feet?

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:whistle:
Waino doesn't want DH in National League | MLB.com

"It could have happened doing anything -- I could have been carrying my daughter up the stairs and it happened. So you outlaw carrying your daughter up the stairs? Or outlaw covering first? Outlaw fielding a bunt? It was a fluke thing, and baseball needs to stay just the way it is."

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just get rid of the DH