• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh interview with Colin Cowherd...

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my experience of participating in interviews, I've found it takes 2 to produce a clunker! I'll take 50% responsibility 4 this clunker.

— Coach Harbaugh (@CoachJim4UM) July 1, 2015

Awesome

Yeah, sure it is. :rolleyes2:

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my experience of participating in interviews, I've found it takes 2 to produce a clunker! I'll take 50% responsibility 4 this clunker.

Awesome
In other words, "I've been bad in radio interviews before. It went just like that. Has anyone seen my Seroquel?"

TNVolFan18

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still blame Cowherd. Could of done a better job in the situation. He does in fact do it for a living.. Chill and slow down with the questions lol. If I was Jim, I wouldn't want to even be on his show haha.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wanted jim as the bears coach and would still take him. that being said, he was a complete jackass in that interview. that was 100% on him

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the "buy" was "bye" as well, but that wasn't really the bad part of the interview.

I must say I don't really get what Harbaugh is doing at Michigan. People in the bay area don't get worked up about college football much, and it's well known about his 49'r stuff. But he didn't seem to seek the spotlight before.

Now it's as if he is seeking the spotlight, but then wants to pretend like it's being forced on him. And it's pretty lame IMO.

At one point, I fully expected him to say "I'm just here so I won't get fined" to every question.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Awesome

I'm not a cowturd fan, but it only takes 1 to fuck up an interview and Jim Harbaugh is stupid to think otherwise.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Coach was playing a game of Sudoku while kinda "bothering" with this phone interview. #weird

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still blame Cowherd. Could of done a better job in the situation. He does in fact do it for a living.. Chill and slow down with the questions lol. If I was Jim, I wouldn't want to even be on his show haha.

Exactly. Cowherd showed that he was way out of his league.

It is a known quantity that Harbaugh is a difficult interview, as Jimmy has a reputation as being weird, and quite different. As a pro in the business, Cowherd obviously should have known this, but Colin was behaving as if he was surprised at Harbaugh's behavior!

That reeks of being unprepared, and unprofessional on the part of Cowherd. Again, Colin should have known what was in store by attempting to interview Harbaugh.

Then it gets worse... near the end of the segment in a failed attempt to save the interview, Cowherd's huge ego kicks in as he states he would like to give Harbaugh the opportunity to 'sell' his program to recruits. Come on Colin, recruits don't listen to your program you egocentric prick! I would wager that most kids have never even heard of Colin Cowherd! Seriously folks... does Cowherd actually believe recruits listen to his show?

Common sense tells us what kids listen to: either their personal play list being run through earbuds on a handheld mp3 e-device...or... if in a vehicle, the kids radio is tuned to the latest hip-hop station and/or top 40 station and/or country station. Kids don't listen to talk radio! There is no need for any coach to 'sell' their football program on Cowherd's show!

My guess is that the audience demographic for Colin's show would be hardcore sports fan males over the age of 30.... certainly not kids.

Again... it is WIDELY KNOWN that Harbaugh is a weirdo who marches to a different drummer... so, why in hell would anybody desire to interview him? Especially, a person who is not a very good interviewer. I understand that every media figure does not have the interview skills of a Barbara Walters, but this Cowherd incident should serve as a warning to other potential interviewers that you had best avoid doing a session with Harbaugh unless you are a top-notch interviewer! Otherwise, you will have a similar fiasco occur.

Yup... Cowherd was way out of his league!

Last edited:

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowherd had the wrong TONE, INTRO, APPROACH... he asked ambiguous questions [bye vs. buy]... he asked questions that didn't flow well together... and Jimmy isn't the kind of coach that wants to "put out" to try to Save the interview.... I put this more on Cowherd... i've listened to him more lately... and he's just not good at what he does... it seems like he just has the right pitch in his voice for radio... but he doesn't interview well... he doesn't make sound arguments... he's kinda good at giving his honest unsubstantiated opinions [which is actually more than some are willing to do]. He's kind of the Stephen A. Smith of radio.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowherd was trying to find just one question that Harbaugh would answer without stuttering all over himself. How can a coach not understand, "I am a 4.3 Wide Receiver. Why should I go to Xichigan?"

If the softball wasn't sitting on a tee in the middle of the plate on that one, what was he supposed to ask?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Cowherd showed that he was way out of his league.

It is a known quantity that Harbaugh is a difficult interview, as Jimmy has a reputation as being weird, and quite different. As a pro in the business, Cowherd obviously should have known this, but Colin was behaving as if he was surprised at Harbaugh's behavior!

That reeks of being unprepared, and unprofessional on the part of Cowherd. Again, Colin should have known what was in store by attempting to interview Harbaugh.

Then it gets worse... near the end of the segment in a failed attempt to save the interview, Cowherd's huge ego kicks in as he states he would like to give Harbaugh the opportunity to 'sell' his program to recruits. Come on Colin, recruits don't listen to your program you egocentric prick! I would wager that most kids have never even heard of Colin Cowherd! Seriously folks... does Cowherd actually believe recruits listen to his show?

Common sense tells us what kids listen to: either their personal play list being run through earbuds on a handheld mp3 e-device...or... if in a vehicle, the kids radio is tuned to the latest hip-hop station and/or top 40 station and/or country station. Kids don't listen to talk radio! There is no need for any coach to 'sell' their football program on Cowherd's show!

My guess is that the audience demographic for Colin's show would be hardcore sports fan males over the age of 30.... certainly not kids.

Again... it is WIDELY KNOWN that Harbaugh is a weirdo who marches to a different drummer... so, why in hell would anybody desire to interview him? Especially, a person who is not a very good interviewer. I understand that every media figure does not have the interview skills of a Barbara Walters, but this Cowherd incident should serve as a warning to other potential interviewers that you had best avoid doing a session with Harbaugh unless you are a top-notch interviewer! Otherwise, you will have a similar fiasco occur.

Yup... Cowherd was way out of his league!

So it's cowherds fault because Harbaugh is known to be weird in interviews?

Can you tell me what Cowherd could have done differently? The buy/bye thing ok, but that was not the only part of the interview and it didn't start there.

Call me crazy, but when every other coach is able to give a good interview on the show and you have 1 guy who doesn't...well it's probably that 1 guy.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Harbaugh now wishes he would have looked like:

:saban:

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? The guy is a complete tool. Who cares?
I hope he and his silly dockers stay in Michigan forever!

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical cowherd show right here for you:
-brags on himself in a way that he probably thinks is humorous, but it really isnt as funny as he thinks

-talks about vegas like its mecca, ad nauseam, the typical "everyone join me in sucking the collective dick of las vegas and all it has to offer" schpiel. I suspect he probably has a gambling problem at some level.

-contant attempts to draw parallels between real life and sports, and only makes sense about 25-30% of the time. Rest of those instances, he sounds like a babbling idiot reaching HARD to prove a point

The only time i truly enjoy cowherd is during football season when he has greg cossell as a guest on Mondays, to go over that weekend's games. The rest is pretty much crap

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can you tell me what Cowherd could have done differently? The buy/bye thing ok, but that was not the only part of the interview and it didn't start there.

Call me crazy, but when every other coach is able to give a good interview on the show and you have 1 guy who doesn't...well it's probably that 1 guy.

It's like the crazy chick that keeps running men off yet, in her world, it's because all guys are douches, not that she's a crazy bitch.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"So it's cowherds fault...?"

Yup, it's Cowherds fault for biting off more than he can chew. Cowherd is NOT a good interviewer and no way should have attempted to interview a person who is widely known as a difficult interview subject. I imagine Cowherds producers LOVE the publicity this story is getting, but at the same time are embarrassed that Cowherd's lack of interviewing skills have been exposed.

"Can you tell me what Cowherd could have done differently?"

No I won't. I have been a professional intuitive reader (fortune teller) since 1984, and it's my job to get folks to open-up during reading sessions. I'm pretty good at it, but it would take hours upon hours and thousands of words to write-up how to build rapport with a client, put them at ease, get them to open-up, and to make sure they leave the session feeling better than when they sat down. Sorry, you'll get no lessons from me, and that's only because it is simply beyond the scope of a sports forum post for such a detailed/intricate subject. I'll just say it takes a lot of experience combined with a decent amount of psychological counseling techniques, and top-notch active listening skills (most people think of themselves as having good listening skills, but the truth is most people have poor listening skills). Finally, having a high level of empathy is a MUST in order to be successful as a top-notch interviewer.

"...when every other coach is able to give a good interview on the show and you have 1 guy who doesn't...well it's probably that 1 guy."

Nope, it is the professional performers duty to control the flow of the procedure. When I have a reading session that does not go as smoothly as it should, it's my fault, not the client's. AGAIN, certainly Cowherd and his staff knew Harbaugh was and is a difficult interview! I have nothing against Colin Cowherd.......he simply does not currently possess the skill set to be a good interviewer.

Also....... apparently from what I've heard, Harbaugh has been successfully interviewed in the past on several occasions.

Again, this has been my line of work since 1984, and it is the responsibility of the performer/interviewer to make sure the session proceeds swimmingly.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like the crazy chick that keeps running men off yet, in her world, it's because all guys are douches, not that she's a crazy bitch.

of course she's not crazy..just 'misunderstood' by every guy she's ever met. must be a coincidence.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"So it's cowherds fault...?"

Yup, it's Cowherds fault for biting off more than he can chew. Cowherd is NOT a good interviewer and no way should have attempted to interview a person who is widely known as a difficult interview subject. I imagine Cowherds producers LOVE the publicity this story is getting, but at the same time are embarrassed that Cowherd's lack of interviewing skills have been exposed.

"Can you tell me what Cowherd could have done differently?"

No I won't. I have been a professional intuitive reader (fortune teller) since 1984, and it's my job to get folks to open-up during reading sessions. I'm pretty good at it, but it would take hours upon hours and thousands of words to write-up how to build rapport with a client, put them at ease, get them to open-up, and to make sure they leave the session feeling better than when they sat down. Sorry, you'll get no lessons from me, and that's only because it is simply beyond the scope of a sports forum post for such a detailed/intricate subject. I'll just say it takes a lot of experience combined with a decent amount of psychological counseling techniques, and top-notch active listening skills (most people think of themselves as having good listening skills, but the truth is most people have poor listening skills). Finally, having a high level of empathy is a MUST in order to be successful as a top-notch interviewer.

"...when every other coach is able to give a good interview on the show and you have 1 guy who doesn't...well it's probably that 1 guy."

Nope, it is the professional performers duty to control the flow of the procedure. When I have a reading session that does not go as smoothly as it should, it's my fault, not the client's. AGAIN, certainly Cowherd and his staff knew Harbaugh was and is a difficult interview! I have nothing against Colin Cowherd.......he simply does not currently possess the skill set to be a good interviewer.

Also....... apparently from what I've heard, Harbaugh has been successfully interviewed in the past on several occasions.

Again, this has been my line of work since 1984, and it is the responsibility of the performer/interviewer to make sure the session proceeds swimmingly.
666.gif