• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh interview with Colin Cowherd...

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still blame Cowherd. Could of done a better job in the situation. He does in fact do it for a living.. Chill and slow down with the questions lol. If I was Jim, I wouldn't want to even be on his show haha.
Harbaugh certainly didn't help, but the questions could have been, you know, about football and it probably would have gone differently.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"So it's cowherds fault...?"

Yup, it's Cowherds fault for biting off more than he can chew. Cowherd is NOT a good interviewer and no way should have attempted to interview a person who is widely known as a difficult interview subject. I imagine Cowherds producers LOVE the publicity this story is getting, but at the same time are embarrassed that Cowherd's lack of interviewing skills have been exposed.

"Can you tell me what Cowherd could have done differently?"

No I won't. I have been a professional intuitive reader (fortune teller) since 1984, and it's my job to get folks to open-up during reading sessions. I'm pretty good at it, but it would take hours upon hours and thousands of words to write-up how to build rapport with a client, put them at ease, get them to open-up, and to make sure they leave the session feeling better than when they sat down. Sorry, you'll get no lessons from me, and that's only because it is simply beyond the scope of a sports forum post for such a detailed/intricate subject. I'll just say it takes a lot of experience combined with a decent amount of psychological counseling techniques, and top-notch active listening skills (most people think of themselves as having good listening skills, but the truth is most people have poor listening skills). Finally, having a high level of empathy is a MUST in order to be successful as a top-notch interviewer.

"...when every other coach is able to give a good interview on the show and you have 1 guy who doesn't...well it's probably that 1 guy."

Nope, it is the professional performers duty to control the flow of the procedure. When I have a reading session that does not go as smoothly as it should, it's my fault, not the client's. AGAIN, certainly Cowherd and his staff knew Harbaugh was and is a difficult interview! I have nothing against Colin Cowherd.......he simply does not currently possess the skill set to be a good interviewer.

Also....... apparently from what I've heard, Harbaugh has been successfully interviewed in the past on several occasions.

Again, this has been my line of work since 1984, and it is the responsibility of the performer/interviewer to make sure the session proceeds swimmingly.

Thats load of crap. Harbaugh gave a whole bunch of I don't knows with a smirk tone in his voice. He's an adult. he could have answered and question he didn't like with something short then followed up with what ever he wanted to say. He was purposfully being an ass and there's no way to stop that and no way around it.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats load of crap. Harbaugh gave a whole bunch of I don't knows with a smirk tone in his voice. He's an adult. he could have answered and question he didn't like with something short then followed up with what ever he wanted to say. He was purposfully being an ass and there's no way to stop that and no way around it.
Chengelis: Tough interview part of Harbaugh's persona

So, Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh didn't jump into the interview circle and play nice with the other kid.

And this is news, why?

Yes, there's a point a coach shouldn't agree to an interview if he really doesn't want to do it, but that's the interviewer's challenge. Everybody who has done an interview — particularly with Harbaugh — knows that's part of the game, and you'd better come ready to be either shut down or pleasantly shocked (probably more of the former).

It's a 90 degree day, and you ask Harbaugh if it's hot, he will answer, "Yes." That's it. No further embellishment. He answered your question. You're not going to get, "You better believe it's hot out! I can't believe this weather! This isn't football weather!"

n other words, you want him to expand, you want him to play along, and if he doesn't feel like it, you're out of luck and you better get a little more clever with how you ask a question. This is by no means a defense of Harbaugh and his interview skills, but, hey, this is who he is.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All that article did was confim he's been an ass before and knew exactly what he was doing. He purposefully acted like a five year old and now because of the feedback he's had to answer questions about not answering questions.
For all you you Michigan homers saying Colins questions were the problem , in the article is says "But more often than not, Harbaugh sticks to a steady dose of "I don't know" responses and answers questions about his team "
So this wasn't some anomaly. This is just him. An ass. Hell of a coach and I certainly don't deny that but he's an ass of person.

Colin- Jim you're an intense guy are you like this all the time?"
Jim- Well I'm passionate about football and about teaching these young men.
Colin - Is there a time when you're dialed down a cupcake?
Jim- Well at home with the wife and kids i guess. But when I get to the campus I'm ready to go and we only have so much time with these kids so I'm on them.

Is that so freakin hard?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that article did was confim he's been an ass before and knew exactly what he was doing. He purposefully acted like a five year old and now because of the feedback he's had to answer questions about not answering questions.
For all you you Michigan homers saying Colins questions were the problem , in the article is says "But more often than not, Harbaugh sticks to a steady dose of "I don't know" responses and answers questions about his team "
So this wasn't some anomaly. This is just him. An ass. Hell of a coach and I certainly don't deny that but he's an ass of person.
Yes, that's exactly what we said. Lazy interviewers are going to get lazy Harbaugh answers.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Correct... Harbaugh was being VERY difficult, but to say there's no way to stop it and no way around it is just .....plain....wrong. Absolute statements such as 'no way' are, well....absolute. There is usually almost always 'a way around it'......... if one is skilled and experienced enough.

Top interviewers such as Barbara Walters, Ellen Degeneres, David Letterman, Oprah Winfrey, Johnny Carson (if he was alive), etc. would have probably found 'a way around it'.

It's NOT an easy thing to do, but it can be done.

Cowherd can improve his interviewing skills if he wishes to do so.... a good start would be to watch LOTS of tapes of those people I listed above. But the primary thing Cowherd would need to work on is this: he needs to remove (or at least minimize) his ego from the equation, and realize, it's NOT about him..... but rather it's ALL about your subject/client/guest. This is a VERY VERY difficult thing for people in this line of work to do because of the huge egos in the business. It takes A LOT of experience and practice, but it can be done.

Even though I've been doing it for over 30 years, there is always more to learn, and more ways to polish one's technique. And when it goes wrong, it's my fault. I learn from humbling moments, and move onward with a desire to constantly improve.

Also.... I'm NOT part of the Wolverine fanbase.

Peace.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that's exactly what we said. Lazy interviewers are going to get lazy Harbaugh answers.

Exactly what you want from the guy leading your team. Acting like a five year old. So again , he could have done better he just didn't want to. That you defend.lol. Good luck selling parents on this guy.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct... Harbaugh was being VERY difficult, but to say there's no way to stop it and no way around it is just .....plain....wrong. Absolute statements such as 'no way' are, well....absolute. There is usually almost always 'a way around it'......... if one is skilled and experienced enough.

Top interviewers such as Barbara Walters, Ellen Degeneres, David Letterman, Oprah Winfrey, Johnny Carson (if he was alive), etc. would have probably found 'a way around it'.

Cowherd can improve his interviewing skills if he wishes to do so.... a good start would be to watch LOTS of tapes of those people I listed above. But the primary thing Cowherd would need to work on is this: he needs to remove (or at least minimize) his ego from the equation, and realize, it's NOT about him..... but rather it's ALL about your subject/client/guest. This is a VERY VERY difficult thing for people in this line of work to do because of the huge egos in the business. It takes A LOT of experience and practice, but it can be done.

Even though I've been doing it for over 30 years, there is always more to learn, and more ways to polish one's technique. And when it goes wrong, it's my fault. I learn from humbling moments, and move onward with a desire to constantly improve.

Peace.

Really?
Jim- Well at home with the wife and kids i guess. But when I get to the campus I'm ready to go and we only have so much time with these kids so I'm on them.

Again. Is that so hard? Of course not. Harbaugh thought he could be an ass and no one would care. trouble is he's selling Michigan to kids and parents. My kids 16 a football stud and Urban and Saban are calling and I hear that I don't think that wins him any points.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
666.gif
Yup, UM fans are like said crazy bitches enabling best friend. "Shit gurl, you awesome. Them dudes are just some sorry ass dawgs that don't deserve you."

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?

Again. Is that so hard? Of course not. Harbaugh thought he could be an ass and no one would care. trouble is he's selling Michigan to kids and parents. My kids 16 a football stud and Urban and Saban are calling and I hear that I don't think that wins him any points.

Yes...it's very hard....otherwise everybody would be a top-notch interviewer! I've listened to the interview 4 times already, and it's a great learning resource.... on how not to properly conduct an interview.

After the first 20 seconds I realized this interview session is not going to go well. Cowherd began by abruptly blurting out a question, and was of course, caught off guard when Harbaugh didn't immediately answer the question, instead, Harbaugh said something along the lines of 'good morning Colin, how are you doing?" Realizing his first mistake, Colin backtracked, and then returned the greeting to Jim! And, it was pretty much all downhill from there!

Again, this is a great learning tape, and I imagine communication instructors around the nation are going to be utilizing this tape in their classrooms.

Cheers!

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also.... I'm NOT part of the Wolverine fanbase.

Peace.

Just curious, ballpark figure, how much can a fortune teller pull in per year, income-wise? I assume you work for yourself? Or are you employed by someone else?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh's certainly eccentric isn't he?

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, ballpark figure, how much can a fortune teller pull in per year, income-wise? I assume you work for yourself? Or are you employed by someone else?

I'm self-employed, freelance.

I know folks who earn 6 figures as fortune tellers/intuitive readers.... these are legitimate entertainment-based fortune tellers/readers, not the scam artists who promise to remove curses from your household or claim to contact a departed relative for thousands of dollars. Those types of scumbags bring a bad name to the art form.

A decent and legitimate entertainment-based fortune teller/reader can fairly regularly pull in at least $50,000 per year. I've taught a few down & out unemployed folks who happened to possess good people oriented skills (such as a communication/customer service background with a very high level of empathy) how to be intuitive readers.

I don't favor the word 'psychic', as I feel that term is generally used to describe a person who claims to possess special powers which most people do not normally possess. Rather, it is my belief that all people possess natural intuitive abilities, eliminating the need for the term 'psychic'.

It's just a matter of trusting ones feelings (I know, that sounds like Obi Wan Kenobi or Yoda), and having confidence in ones own natural intuition. The more it is used, the better it gets. We all have experienced lots of times when our 'gut feeling' has kicked-in during everyday life... no?

It is my opinion/conviction that anyone with a high level of empathy combined with great people relations skills can learn the trade (if they are dedicated and apply themselves).

Fortunately, many of the top fortune tellers/intuitive readers have released a plethora of training materials (books, manuals, .PDF's, videos, audio files, etc.) which can be attained via the internet (some materials are expensive, and some are decently priced).

Peace.

Last edited:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really thought he would be less of a douche going back to college considering the players are choosing to play for him and not the other way around. Guess I was wrong. I think Jason Whitlock said it best on PTI yesterday, that Harbaugh is becoming a caricature of himself and it just looks bad...and I usually never agree with what that guy says.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm self-employed, freelance.

I know folks who earn 6 figures as fortune tellers/intuitive readers.... these are legitimate entertainment-based fortune tellers/readers, not the scam artists who promise to remove curses from your household or claim to contact a departed relative for thousands of dollars. Those types of scumbags bring a bad name to the art form.

A decent and legitimate entertainment-based fortune teller/reader can fairly regularly pull in at least $50,000 per year. I've taught a few down & out unemployed folks who happened to possess good people oriented skills (such as a communication/customer service background with a very high level of empathy) how to be intuitive readers.

I don't favor the word 'psychic', as I feel that term is generally used to describe a person who claims to possess special powers which most people do not normally possess. Rather, it is my belief that all people possess natural intuitive abilities, eliminating the need for the term 'psychic'.

It's just a matter of trusting ones feelings (I know, that sounds like Obi Wan Kenobi or Yoda), and having confidence in ones own natural intuition. The more it is used, the better it gets. We all have experienced lots of times when our 'gut feeling' has kicked-in during everyday life... no?

It is my opinion/conviction that anyone with a high level of empathy combined with great people relations skills can learn the trade (if they are dedicated and apply themselves).

Fortunately, many of the top fortune tellers/intuitive readers have released a plethora of training materials (books, manuals, .PDF's, videos, audio files, etc.) which can be attained via the internet (some materials are expensive, and some are decently priced).

Peace.

Interesting

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After hearing all kinds of things about this interview, I finally give it a listen. Now = for the record, I don't like either one of these guys. Cowherd is a parasite that doesn't understand that he is, in fact, a parasite (as are all sports writers, btw) and takes himself far too seriously. And I would call Harbaugh a douche, but I hate to group douches in with such lowly individuals.

All of that said, I lay the blame for the crappiness of that interview squarely on Harbaugh's shoulders. Seriously - if you have nothing to say, and are not willing to be a participant, why do you agree to do these things?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After hearing all kinds of things about this interview, I finally give it a listen. Now = for the record, I don't like either one of these guys. Cowherd is a parasite that doesn't understand that he is, in fact, a parasite (as are all sports writers, btw) and takes himself far too seriously. And I would call Harbaugh a douche, but I hate to group douches in with such lowly individuals.

All of that said, I lay the blame for the crappiness of that interview squarely on Harbaugh's shoulders. Seriously - if you have nothing to say, and are not willing to be a participant, why do you agree to do these things?

Yes....................

Maybe................

We're trying to get better every practice...........

Yep.................

No.................

We'll see......................

:gaah::poke:

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Harbaugh isn't careful, he may end up losing all those Troy recruits from Alabama.

If Troy is so bad, then why does Alabama continue to play this cupcake team?