• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Haralson traded to Saints

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In terms of re-treads, our third OLB last year was Clark Haggans. That's the caliber of player that NO would stand to add at this point if they missed out on Haralson. A 7th round pick is absolutely nothing to add a guy like Haralson over a guy like Haggans.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There might be no takers for a trade, because once we started shopping him it was pretty clear we were going to release him. Losing out to Corey Lemonier when your team is starting two all pros and is CLEARLY trying anything and everything it can to cut excess cash out of the roster is hardly a reflection that the guy can't play. Anyone who has watched the preseason knows that Parys still has plenty left in the tank.

There weren't a lot of takers because there are only a few teams that would need a run stopping 3-4 OLB. If you only have 1 team talking to you then you have to take their best offer. I guess Parys has a lot left in the tank. But he's a below average to average player. I would rather have the tradeable 7th that could be used to move up. Like what the Niners did when they packaged their 7th to move up 5 spots in the 3rd to get Corey.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of re-treads, our third OLB last year was Clark Haggans. That's the caliber of player that NO would stand to add at this point if they missed out on Haralson. A 7th round pick is absolutely nothing to add a guy like Haralson over a guy like Haggans.

I may have missed it somewhere but what would you rather have done with him?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This will be okay... as long as we don't get an injury or two to OLB like last year. I'm thinking teams got weary because he's getting older or are sick of us having a million picks. He looked good in the preseason again like always, but if he's getting cut it's best to grab the 7th Rd pick and keep as far away from our division as possible. We could have used him last year, but this is the nature of the beast.

Agreed this looks great for Lemonier who has really stood out. Also FO has to be very high on guys like Cam Johnson and Scuta to do this. This is a move to the future and to improve ST's play. It's a heavy move, but should give us better ST's which is a major benefit of the 3-4.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There weren't a lot of takers because there are only a few teams that would need a run stopping 3-4 OLB. If you only have 1 team talking to you then you have to take their best offer. I guess Parys has a lot left in the tank. But he's a below average to average player. I would rather have the tradeable 7th that could be used to move up. Like what the Niners did when they packaged their 7th to move up 5 spots in the 3rd to get Corey.

Parys is a below average to average starter, not player.

As for the post asking what I would have done, I probably would have just released him than trade him to a legitimate playoff contender for what is likely to be a late-7th round pick.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parys is a below average to average starter, not player.

As for the post asking what I would have done, I probably would have just released him than trade him to a legitimate playoff contender for what is likely to be a late-7th round pick.

Disagree. Below average starter. Average to above average backup. There are more weaknesses then strengths with Parys.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Disagree. Below average starter. Average to above average backup. There are more weaknesses then strengths with Parys.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're wrong. He's been dominating second stringers in the preseason.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Again...

If not Haralson, then who?

I believe Haralson was going to be cut today, so I'm fine with him being traded for a 7th. Yes he was traded to a contender, but at least he wasn't released and picked up by an NFC west team...

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For what it's worth - not terribly surprisingly IMO - Haralson is starting for the Saints:

New Orleans Saints | Depth Chart

It appears he's the player that gets pulled when the nickel D is on the field.

In week one he played 23 of 56 defensive snaps.
In week two he played 19 of 61 defensive snaps (wasn't on the field with the starters to open the game).

Total - 42 of 117 snaps (35.9% of total snaps)

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO something that seems to be missing from this argument is that any potential for extra cap space is a big deal because SF is ALREADY over the salary cap for next year (per Maiocco or Barrows), so SF really needs to cut some corners if the plan is to try and keep some potential FAs.

I liked Parys, but if SF wasn't going to use him, the classy move is to trade him to a team where he can be a starter before rosters are already set. Haralson didn't pull a Brandon Jacobs and there was no bad blood between organization/player, so anyone that's seen Hard Knocks knows GMs/Coaches will try and help hard working players find new homes.