• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Haralson traded to Saints

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Only offer in the span of 60 minutes? Who says he wouldn't have made the team there is one more preseason game and people could get hurt or blow during their last chance.

We don't know when he was put on the trading block, all we know is when it was reported...

Today is cutdown day, and I bet haralson was to be amongst those cuts...

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know when he was put on the trading block, all we know is when it was reported...

Today is cutdown day, and I bet haralson was to be amongst those cuts...

Maybe or the next one... either way hes gone and the 9ers just got a 7th rounder for a guy who will start in NO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
this team is in "win now" mode, cause it is very difficult to sustain a solid team. should Aldon get hurt early, and/or Brooks go down, we're all of a sudden in a BAD spot.

yes, Lemonier has flashed his talent and that's great, but he's a rookie and can't be expected to just pick it up. yes he can rush but there is run support and a little coverage. so not denying these are upgrades, but they're not upgrades today. you're jumping ahead of them just like you jumped Aldon ahead.

everyone gets Haralson is no longer a quality starter, but as a back-up he's more valuable than a conditional 7th. don't agree Haralson WAS going to be cut anyway.

The fact that we traded Haralson for next to nothing is a very strong indication that the FO does not view this as a "win now" situation. Our starting QB is 25. Our elite OL has only one starter who is in his 30s and already has the heir apparent ready to go. Our D has four all-pro LB who range in age from almost 24 to 29. The DL is on the older side, but we've added and are grooming replacements. The clear statement from this move is that we are trying to set up the team so that it is competitive for the next decade.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You can play the "what if" game at any position. At some point the team has to make cuts and trim the roster. All things considered, salary, versatility, experience, potential, who would you have released or traded instead of Haralson (at OLB)?

yeah true, tough decision either way. agree the youth and cap start to factor in next.

to answer your question, that would likely be Skuta, where his special teams contribution made up from say WR?

ok, after thinking about it some more.......they must've seen a lot from Skuta TOO, so we'll just take this as good potential at OLB. or maybe a little versatility at OLB too.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Teams aren't beating down the door for 8 year journeymen coming off injury. Maybe NO was the only team desperate enough to even make an offer?

He's not a journeyman. He's only played for one team. He is coming off an injury, but it's been over a year, it was not a serious long-term injury, and he's shown no ill effects. My two biggest issues with the move are these:

1) We traded him to a playoff competitor and there is a decent chance he could end up starting for them. I would have wanted more from NO, or I would have tried to move him to a team that isn't as competitive. Though maybe we're playing the long game, are more concerned about the Falcons, and are hoping this move will help bump them. :-) More likely, I suspect it's the team trying to do right by a respected vet and clubhouse leader.

2) Do we have enough faith in Skuta and Lemonier that Fangio will actually play them? Because I don't want to see our OLBs and DL playing as much this season as they did last season, and we all know how Fangio feels about subbing in unproven guys. At least we know Haralson was trustworthy.

santiagodjs

Yahoo! Refugee / Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Haralson was a goner. No matter if it was at 75 or 53; traded or released- Haralson was gone for two reasons.

1) The front office and coaching staff is confident about our depth in Lemon, Skuta, and possibly Johnson.

2) While Haralson's contract isn't crippling, his $1.5 million now goes back into pot. A pot as someone else here pointed out can be rolled over into next year. The team is going to need every penny to resign the young talent they've developed.

I'm no GM and I trust the guys up there are making the right decision concerning the team's depth, talent, and near future.

santiagodjs

Yahoo! Refugee / Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) We traded him to a playoff competitor and there is a decent chance he could end up starting for them. I would have wanted more from NO, or I would have tried to move him to a team that isn't as competitive. Though maybe we're playing the long game, are more concerned about the Falcons, and are hoping this move will help bump them. :-) More likely, I suspect it's the team trying to do right by a respected vet and clubhouse leader.

I agree and Baalke might be guilty of taking the first offer, but there's no use crying over spilled milk (Not attacking anyone, just using the analogy. Sorry if anyone takes it the wrong way). At least he got something rather than nothing.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see what all this complaining is about if you guys think paras haralson makes the saints a better defense your nuts. Skuta has experience if that's what you want as a backup while he only has four starts he has like 4-5 years in league. Do you guys think we make decisions without a plan for the future? What if they use the 9mil now for extensions?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IMO, Haralson was a goner. No matter if it was at 75 or 53; traded or released- Haralson was gone for two reasons.

1) The front office and coaching staff is confident about our depth in Lemon, Skuta, and possibly Johnson.

2) While Haralson's contract isn't crippling, his $1.5 million now goes back into pot. A pot as someone else here pointed out can be rolled over into next year. The team is going to need every penny to resign the young talent they've developed.

I'm no GM and I trust the guys up there are making the right decision concerning the team's depth, talent, and near future.

To clarify, Haralson's salary doesn't just "go back into the pot." The only thing that goes into the pot is the difference between his salary and the guy we keep instead of him. Haralson's salary is $1.3 million. If we keep say Cam Johnson instead, it's savings of about $900K.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just don't see what all this complaining is about if you guys think paras haralson makes the saints a better defense your nuts. Skuta has experience if that's what you want as a backup while he only has four starts he has like 4-5 years in league. Do you guys think we make decisions without a plan for the future? What if they use the 9mil now for extensions?

Of course Haralson makes the Saints' D better. He may not be an ideal starter, and he's certainly not going to elevate their D to an elite level, but he could end up helping them a lot. And with that offense, they don't need an elite D.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And Skuta has experience as a 4-3 ILB, not as a 3-4 OLB. He seems to have done pretty well this offsesaon, but until we see Fangio actually put him on the field in a regular season game, I'll have some questions.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Had to return to this. Will Smith and Junior Gallette are injured. Smith is out for the season and Gallette fro much of it. Look at what the Saints have behind those guys and tell me Haralson doesn't make them better.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to return to this. Will Smith and Junior Gallette are injured. Smith is out for the season and Gallette fro much of it. Look at what the Saints have behind those guys and tell me Haralson doesn't make them better.
If he does make them better how much better does he make them? Will he play three downs? if anything the saints should've waited to see which lbs get cut.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course Haralson makes the Saints' D better. He may not be an ideal starter, and he's certainly not going to elevate their D to an elite level, but he could end up helping them a lot. And with that offense, they don't need an elite D.

PH isn't better then the guy who got injured on the Saints. He's a fill in. So he's starting for one of the worst defenses in the league. PH is in no way, shape or form an impact player for the D. He's a body. It's mind boggling that someone thinks PH can have any effect at all on a terrible defense. Help them alot. Saints will need more then PH for them to be helped alot.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
People are forgetting the cap side of this. Cap rolls over from year to year. This gives us even more money to extend guys like Iupati, Kaep, Aldon, and crabs. Hell extend Iupati now, the others can't because of CBA, and front load that bitch with the 9 million we have to use this year.

I agree with this Iupati move!! Important to keep ahead with the money issues!!:nod:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If he does make them better how much better does he make them? Will he play three downs? if anything the saints should've waited to see which lbs get cut.

Again, look at what they have at OLB right now. They should have absolutely jumped at the chance to get Haralson. And I'd imagine they did.

How much BETTER does he make them? Tough to say. But I think he's a pretty serious upgrade over the borderline roster-worthy players they currently have jockeying for the starting spots.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
PH isn't better then the guy who got injured on the Saints. He's a fill in. So he's starting for one of the worst defenses in the league. PH is in no way, shape or form an impact player for the D. He's a body. It's mind boggling that someone thinks PH can have any effect at all on a terrible defense. Help them alot. Saints will need more then PH for them to be helped alot.

Two things.

1) He isn't better than Will Smith, admittedly. Better than Junior Gallette? I'm not so sure.

2) It doesn't matter if he's better than the guy he's replacing. He's better than the other replacements. If Haralson is not there, the Saints will have to start borderline NFL talent. That in and of itself might be enough to eliminate them from the playoffs. Haralson isn't great, but he's competent. He won't elevate them into the ranks of the ten-best Ds in the league, but he may give them just enough that they can remain competitive.

The analogy of your argument for the Niners would be to say that we should just cut Boldin because he is not as good as Crabtree, and thus doesn't improve the team over how they would be with Crabtree. That's misses the mark entirely. Boldin is head and shoulders above everyone else on our team at the position, and if we didn't have him we'd be really and truly screwed. The same is true of Haralson and the Saints. Haralson is not comparatively as good as Boldin, but Junior Gallette is no Crabtree, either. If they didn't have him, they would likely rely on retreads or fresh players who are cut this week.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, look at what they have at OLB right now. They should have absolutely jumped at the chance to get Haralson. And I'd imagine they did.

How much BETTER does he make them? Tough to say. But I think he's a pretty serious upgrade over the borderline roster-worthy players they currently have jockeying for the starting spots.

Their getting a guy who had a two year head start over his completion and couldn't beat them out. How much of that had to do with money i don't know. Also of the two guys he couldn't beat one like you said had never played 3-4 olb. I'm sure money played some role. Guess we just wait and see now but i don't see him helping them much at all.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things.

1) He isn't better than Will Smith, admittedly. Better than Junior Gallette? I'm not so sure.

2) It doesn't matter if he's better than the guy he's replacing. He's better than the other replacements. If Haralson is not there, the Saints will have to start borderline NFL talent. That in and of itself might be enough to eliminate them from the playoffs. Haralson isn't great, but he's competent. He won't elevate them into the ranks of the ten-best Ds in the league, but he may give them just enough that they can remain competitive.

The analogy of your argument for the Niners would be to say that we should just cut Boldin because he is not as good as Crabtree, and thus doesn't improve the team over how they would be with Crabtree. That's misses the mark entirely. Boldin is head and shoulders above everyone else on our team at the position, and if we didn't have him we'd be really and truly screwed. The same is true of Haralson and the Saints. Haralson is not comparatively as good as Boldin, but Junior Gallette is no Crabtree, either. If they didn't have him, they would likely rely on retreads or fresh players who are cut this week.

Which would have included Parys. I just think it's odd that the Saints aren't screwed because of Parys Harelson. Parys might make them marginally better. And only against the run. Saints were the worst defense in the league. Going from Will Smith to Parys Harelson isn't going to do anything for them. He's just a body. A competent body but still. If the Saints plated a 4-3 there would be no takers for Parys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Which would have included Parys. I just think it's odd that the Saints aren't screwed because of Parys Harelson. Parys might make them marginally better. And only against the run. Saints were the worst defense in the league. Going from Will Smith to Parys Harelson isn't going to do anything for them. He's just a body. A competent body but still. If the Saints plated a 4-3 there would be no takers for Parys.

There might be no takers for a trade, because once we started shopping him it was pretty clear we were going to release him. Losing out to Corey Lemonier when your team is starting two all pros and is CLEARLY trying anything and everything it can to cut excess cash out of the roster is hardly a reflection that the guy can't play. Anyone who has watched the preseason knows that Parys still has plenty left in the tank.