• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Haloti Ngata: I’ve never been part of a defense like Detroit’s

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does mention the type of defense it is even though not in the same sentence as the headline. I don't think he's saying it's the most talented. I think he's saying it's talented and different.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll do it with the intention to just piss everyone off...
What a jerk that guy is.

But I guess you gotta stick with what Yer good at. And he's awesome at pissing e'rybody off. Well, almost erybody....

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a jerk that guy is.

But I guess you gotta stick with what Yer good at. And he's awesome at pissing e'rybody off. Well, almost erybody....

I heard he tries to tip baby strollers too...

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It's definitely difficult," Ngata said about the switch "You're going to, when you get fatigued, you get back to your old technique, your old ways of doing things. I saw it on film (Tuesday) -- I just kind of seen some of my technique going back to what I used to do in Baltimore. So just knowing that once I'm fatigued, I've got to still focus, understand what my technique is, what they want me to do on the defense and try to attack all the time."

pft link Haloti Ngata: Definitely difficult adjusting to new defense | ProFootballTalk

freep Haloti Ngata still trying to adapt to Detroit Lions' style of play

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It's definitely difficult," Ngata said about the switch "You're going to, when you get fatigued, you get back to your old technique, your old ways of doing things. I saw it on film (Tuesday) -- I just kind of seen some of my technique going back to what I used to do in Baltimore. So just knowing that once I'm fatigued, I've got to still focus, understand what my technique is, what they want me to do on the defense and try to attack all the time."

pft link Haloti Ngata: Definitely difficult adjusting to new defense | ProFootballTalk

freep Haloti Ngata still trying to adapt to Detroit Lions' style of play

If we had some out of shape fatties like CJ Mosley and Nick Fairley last long enough, then Ngata should be just fine... Or he will be the next Albert Haynesworth... Needing oxygen after 2 plays...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But LeShoure isn't looking faster.

I'm waiting for Caldwell to smile before I get too excited.

Here you go.

images

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, wait, I actually found one!!

upload_2015-7-10_9-5-38.jpeg

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Twentyman doesn't seem to think the Lions D will take a nosedive without Suh. Here's a snippet from a recent Q&A with fans on Lions.com:

20man
: The Lions were No. 1 in rushing defense, No. 2 in overall defense and No. 3 in scoring defense last season. They return nine starters from that unit along with their defensive coordinator.

Yeah, I think they’re going to be pretty good on that side of the ball this year.

They lost a terrific talent in defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh this offseason, but also traded for a pretty good talent – albeit a little bit older talent – in Haloti Ngata. I do not believe the drop off is going to be as significant as others might think.

While Ngata isn’t the pass rusher Suh is, he’s better than Suh against the run. That’s a staple of this defense. Everything else they do is predicated on stopping the run.

Quandre Diggs, Josh Wilson and Nevin Lawson are all serious upgrades over Cassius Vaughn in the slot, so that’s one area where the Lions are going to be even stronger on defense.

They may lose sack production with Suh (8.5) and George Johnson (6.0) signing elsewhere in free agency, but are hoping those totals are replaced by Ziggy Ansah, Larry Webster, Devin Taylor and others.

The Lions aren’t going to drop from No. 2 to being a middle-of-the-pack defense because they lost one defensive tackle. I just don’t see it.

I believe the Lions can replace the one sack Nick Fairley gave them in eight healthy starts last year and Ngata will be just fine in the middle in place of Suh.

I still see Detroit having a top 10 defense this upcoming season.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Ngata isn’t the pass rusher Suh is, he’s better than Suh against the run. That’s a staple of this defense. Everything else they do is predicated on stopping the run.

Quandre Diggs, Josh Wilson and Nevin Lawson are all serious upgrades over Cassius Vaughn in the slot, so that’s one area where the Lions are going to be even stronger on defense.

Those two quotes stand out the most to me out of that bunch. Even without Suh, if we can improve against the run and improve in the secondary, then our defense should still be an elite unit...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget that while we lost a great DT, we're returning the NFL leaders in solo tackles and in INTs...