• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guti is OUT for 2014........

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relapse in his gastrointestinal issues will keep him from playing this year. I feel for him, but I think he needs to hang em' up and focus on his health. I feel for the dude, he's talented.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so after we resigned and gave him a 1 year deal now he wants to focus on his health? i hope there is a clause in there were we dont have to pay him as much sense he wants to sit out the season.

dustin ackley and michael saunders is somewhere dancing on a table with him gone cuz CF,RF are wide open to compete for a starting job

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously hated the idea of bringing him back.

Goodbye Gutierrez, go get your health in order and forget about your baseball career, go into accounting or something that puts less strain on your body.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every M's fan's reaction when they heard Guti wasn't healthy

g600616996.gif

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't get paid. So now we can focus on our other CF signings...oh ya.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict a 3-year deal for Cruz now. That third year may have been what has held up this deal from happening, but now I see Z making an overreaction deal. It's only a matter of time, and at this point I say just do it. Either we get Morales or Cruz, which is a toss up I'm my opinion.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the funny part was that after Guti said I won't play, Mariners said they are putting Cruz on hold. That would have been the time where they say let's get this done instead. Maybe they feel they need a true CF for some reason instead of just an OF bat. Hard to figure what GMJ is ever thinking...assuming he is thinking.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesnt really change my outlook on the season. I mean realistically what were you expecting out of him. I feel horrible for him as this isnt is fault but relying on him to play a major role this season would have been foolish either way. As the roster stands now it opens up a spot for Almonte or Romero to make the team. Cruz never has made sense to me and still doesnt. Cruz really only makes sense as a DH in which I would rather bring back Morales.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't counting on him, but M's apparently were since he was our only viable RH batting CF on the roster. If we had another one ready to go and he was just insurance, then it would have been less of a news story.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't counting on him, but M's apparently were since he was our only viable RH batting CF on the roster. If we had another one ready to go and he was just insurance, then it would have been less of a news story.

I always looked at his 2014 role as a defensive replacement/platoon outfielder at best. I think the only way he'd have seen significant playing time was if something similar to last year happened and he became a starter out of necessity, like Ibanez did when our outfielders were getting hurt/sent down/DFA'd one after another. You have to consider that the M's could be counting on one or more of their minor league outfielders being ready to make the jump this year, in which case Guti would have been insurance. He was only re-signed for one year for a million bucks, which is a $6 million decrease in salary from last year.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we really need help at OF the way I look at it its Logan Morrison at LF, Ackley at CF, and Saunders at RF. other options are abraham almonte or inviting Stefan Romero to Spring Training. I think we need to sign Nelson Cruz

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to joke about a guy's health, but it is almost comical how he gets injured before the season even starts.

Best of luck to him and I agree that he should strongly consider retirement. Dude has bigger concerns than baseball right now.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we really need help at OF the way I look at it its Logan Morrison at LF, Ackley at CF, and Saunders at RF. other options are abraham almonte or inviting Stefan Romero to Spring Training. I think we need to sign Nelson Cruz

We really do have a fairly poor OF IMO. Although I must say this... I don't have a problem with Stefan Romero or Abe getting a shot. I am a huge fan of Romeros and he has shown he can play a lot of different positions which gives him value. For Romero I want to see him play in the majors if for no other reason than to see what he can do, he is getting to that point in his career. He has been successful in the minors and i think his next learning step is the majors.

The thing with Cruz is I could care less if we signed him at this point. With or without Cruz for this current team to be successful the young guys would have to step up big time and we would have to get major improvements from the Smoak, Ackley, Zunino, Miller etc. guys. not to mention a starting rotation that is still up in the air at this point outside of Felix and Iwakuma.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the funny part was that after Guti said I won't play, Mariners said they are putting Cruz on hold. That would have been the time where they say let's get this done instead. Maybe they feel they need a true CF for some reason instead of just an OF bat. Hard to figure what GMJ is ever thinking...assuming he is thinking.

Aint that the truth!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With or without Cruz for this current team to be successful the young guys would have to step up big time and we would have to get major improvements from the Smoak, Ackley, Zunino, Miller etc. guys. not to mention a starting rotation that is still up in the air at this point outside of Felix and Iwakuma.

Yea I agree, if this team is ever to get back above .500 let alone compete for a playoff spot they need 1 or 2 of their young guys to pop. Despite bringing in guys like Morse and Morales last year I knew they were going no where unless guys like Smoak, Ackley and Montero made a difference. Clearly that didnt happen as Ackley and Montero were in Tacomna before May ended and Smoak was around .200 at the time. Ackley may have hope after a strong second half, Smoak is on his last gasp of air here and Montero is pretty much dead to me. I look at the starting nine and I honestly only see two guys I feel good about (Cano, Seagar).

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really do have a fairly poor OF IMO. Although I must say this... I don't have a problem with Stefan Romero or Abe getting a shot. I am a huge fan of Romeros and he has shown he can play a lot of different positions which gives him value. For Romero I want to see him play in the majors if for no other reason than to see what he can do, he is getting to that point in his career. He has been successful in the minors and i think his next learning step is the majors.

The thing with Cruz is I could care less if we signed him at this point. With or without Cruz for this current team to be successful the young guys would have to step up big time and we would have to get major improvements from the Smoak, Ackley, Zunino, Miller etc. guys. not to mention a starting rotation that is still up in the air at this point outside of Felix and Iwakuma.

The starting rotation is a whole nother situation too as of right now our top SPs going into the season would be King Felix and Tai Walker. You can add Paxton too i suppose but who else do we have? Erasmo Ramirez,Scott Baker, and brandon maurer? I really really wish danny hultzen wasnt done for the season

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I agree, if this team is ever to get back above .500 let alone compete for a playoff spot they need 1 or 2 of their young guys to pop. Despite bringing in guys like Morse and Morales last year I knew they were going no where unless guys like Smoak, Ackley and Montero made a difference. Clearly that didnt happen as Ackley and Montero were in Tacomna before May ended and Smoak was around .200 at the time. Ackley may have hope after a strong second half, Smoak is on his last gasp of air here and Montero is pretty much dead to me. I look at the starting nine and I honestly only see two guys I feel good about (Cano, Seagar).

That is a good point about about Cano/Seager. Everyone else could go either way.

If you think about it this team looks really similar to last years team with less pitching but with the same question marks with the younger players. These "young" players we are always referring are not really that young anymore, they have played in a lot of major league games at this point (outside of Zunino, Miller and Franklin.) What we really need is these players to become who everyone thought they would become.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The starting rotation is a whole nother situation too as of right now our top SPs going into the season would be King Felix and Tai Walker. You can add Paxton too i suppose but who else do we have? Erasmo Ramirez,Scott Baker, and brandon maurer? I really really wish danny hultzen wasnt done for the season

You are right we are looking at Felix, Walker, Paxton, Ramirez, Baker, Maurer and down the road Iwakuma. In all honesty Maurer probably still has some hope. Paxton I like and I am guessing he makes the rotation. Walker is hopefully not hurt too bad. Erasmo can make some starts for us no problem in my opinion. Baker, who really knows how he will be yet hopefully he does well and can make the rotation and take some pressure off these younger pitchers.

This sounds crazy and I feel crazy saying it but at this point you have to consider Noesi and Beavan for the rotation also. Beavan has proven that he can eat some solid innings although last season was garbage. Noesi just please god NO!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These "young" players we are always referring are not really that young anymore,

Yea its a fair point. How many years in a row have we been hoping Ackley, Smoak and Saunders take the next step.