• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greene & Bostic Not to mention our safeties.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greene or Bostic names haven't been called for a tackle, the last 2 weeks that I can recall. I could be wrong. But that doesn't override my point in this thread.
Our LBer play has been atrocious this year. I'm picking on the rooks here (but Anderson can be blamed as well) because they haven't improved period.
Our rush D depends on those guys filling gaps. That hasn't happened often enough. Or at all.
Greene I see as maybe a STer next year . Bostic I'm unsure about. But neither of them seem to handle the Nfl game.
To say the least I've been disappointed in their play. Which showed the true colors of our safety play.
Conte I never liked. But Wright has looked just as bad this year. Phil wait till 5-6th rounds like Seattle did. :lol:

Every ones blaming our D problems on the injuries to the D-Line. I agree w/that to a point. But LBs & Safeties are paid to play as well. And I just don't think their holding up to their share of the blame.
Your thoughts?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Bostic and Greene look lost.

NO ONE on this defense can shed a god damned block or make an open field tackle to save their LIIIIVES.

Bostic also over pursues ALL THE TIME on run plays, which pretty much explains why opposing RB's break free into the secondary so easily. Both Bostic and Greene are VERY inept as LB's in coverage as well.

Bostic is a good athlete, and IMO, still pretty talented. He's just raw. He also shouldn't be playing in the inside. He's too freaking small. He's an outside LB. We haven't found a replacement for Urlacher yet. I honestly wouldn't mind bringing back DJ Williams for another year. I liked him. The Bears were solid against the run while he was healthy alongside Briggs. Notice, the game he got hurt (Giants TNF) is the game where the run D began to unravel. The night when Brandon Jacobs went for over 150. :L :wtf2:

Briggs could return Sunday.

... Thank God...

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Bostic and Greene look lost.

NO ONE on this defense can shed a god damned block or make an open field tackle to save their LIIIIVES.

Bostic also over pursues ALL THE TIME on run plays, which pretty much explains why opposing RB's break free into the secondary so easily. Both Bostic and Greene are VERY inept as LB's in coverage as well.

Bostic is a good athlete, and IMO, still pretty talented. He's just raw. He also shouldn't be playing in the inside. He's too freaking small. He's an outside LB. We haven't found a replacement for Urlacher yet. I honestly wouldn't mind bringing back DJ Williams for another year. I liked him. The Bears were solid against the run while he was healthy alongside Briggs. Notice, the game he got hurt (Giants TNF) is the game where the run D began to unravel. The night when Brandon Jacobs went for over 150. :L :wtf2:

Briggs could return Sunday.

... Thank God...

What are your thoughts of the safety play? I think we need big time help there as well.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are your thoughts of the safety play? I think we need big time help there as well.

It's bad. It's been a cycle of mediocrity at the position for a long time. Sick of it.

However, the front seven is really where the problem lies for this defense. They got away with playing the same safety duo the last two seasons, and now all of the sudden they look dreadful. It's not a coincidence.

Both Wright and Conte are solid depth guys to have on your roster. They're not starters though. Fine backups.

Both corners played well in that game though. Bryant was limited, Austin went quietly into the night... Bowman hasn't been half bad. To be honest. I don't know how, but the 5"7 Tim Jennings did a nice job vs Bryant tonight.

Although, I'm sure a lot of that had to do with having fresh legs. Due to the Bears offense keeping the D on the sidelines. Which obviously helps.

C

cubzzzfanincali

the D looked hideous last night against the run. Simply hideous. How freaking lucky were we that Dallas mysteriously abandoned the run! They ran like crazy against us for two drives, got TDs, then forgot and went to the pass. It was no coincidence that the next run-heavy drive, last in the 3rd quarter, ended in another TD.

I was watching the game with my Cowboys fan buddy, he was going ballistic at the playcalling. I actually felt kind of sorry for him, because it seemed like such an obvious fuckup by Garrett (or whoever is calling plays in Dallas these days).

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'm not going to beat a dead horse, you all know I think the front 7 are a bigger problem than the safeties (who are mediocre but serviceable and not as fundamental to the run defense problems). You've only got so many draft picks, you have to apply them to the biggest problem.

That being said, here's an interesting situation for the Bears. We've now had quite an opportunity to see Bostic and Greene. So far, frankly, I think they kind of suck. But they are rookies. I think you kind of have to give them at least another year to get better. I really haven't seen much real potential from them, they are both bad in gap selection and bad in tackling (not exactly two attributes you want in a linebacker). But what else are you going to do, throw in the towel after a year? This defense has enough holes that I kind of think you have to give them a chance. Draft a couple D linemen, maybe a couple of defensive backs, before even thinking about linebacker.

But maybe this is dumb? Are these guys dead in the water? What do you think?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to beat a dead horse, you all know I think the front 7 are a bigger problem than the safeties (who are mediocre but serviceable and not as fundamental to the run defense problems). You've only got so many draft picks, you have to apply them to the biggest problem.

That being said, here's an interesting situation for the Bears. We've now had quite an opportunity to see Bostic and Greene. So far, frankly, I think they kind of suck. But they are rookies. I think you kind of have to give them at least another year to get better. I really haven't seen much real potential from them, they are both bad in gap selection and bad in tackling (not exactly two attributes you want in a linebacker). But what else are you going to do, throw in the towel after a year? This defense has enough holes that I kind of think you have to give them a chance. Draft a couple D linemen, maybe a couple of defensive backs, before even thinking about linebacker.

But maybe this is dumb? Are these guys dead in the water? What do you think?

I agree. I don't think you can give up on them yet. However, I think it's pretty clear that Bostic isn't cut out to play in the middle. I think you move him to the outside next season. As far as Greene, I think you just have to wait and see if he looks any better in camp next year.

The front four was actually getting a decent push at times against the run last night. Our LB's just can't blow up a run play to save their lives. It's dreadful to watch. On those stretch plays against us, if you're just patient as a RB, a running lane will open up.