• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greatest defense of all time

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different eras. Different rules. More NFL teams in this day and age too which equals more watered down talent in the league.

Unfair to compare teams from 30 years ago, even the Ravens from 2000 as the game is different now. It's nice just to be in the conversation.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game has changed to much over the past decade to figure out where the Seahawks D ranks. '85 Bears and '00 Ravens played in an era that let defenses man handle offenses at will. I think since we are in the new era of offensive production and massive amount of rule changes against the D, Seattle's D ranks as the best of this era right now.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens played Frerrotte, Mcnair, and Rich Gannon, but Gannon got hurt and left the game. Kerry Collins in the SB. Not a stellar cast but McNair was pretty good.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of last year there was a lot of talk about how 2012's defense was the best in team history. I really wasn't sold on that with the 1984 defense being what I considered one of the more underrated defenses in NFL history. This year, the defense was even better, and I would say that it easily takes the cake for Seattle defenses.

As for all time, I have a hard time giving them the nod over the Purple People Eaters, the Steal Curtain or some of the older defenses (along with the other two "newer" ones already mentioned). Call me nostalgic (and I wasn't even alive for those) but that's just how I see it. Now, I do believe that if they aren't top 5, they were most definitely top 10. They just played defense about as well as could possibly be imagined with the rules of the game today.

The thing that has irritated me about the post Super Bowl talk about Manning is the idea that he didn't play well. He completed 70% of his passes, and it wasn't like he was throwing passes any differently than he did earlier in the season. The passing offenses of the AFC (Brady and Manning at least) the last few years have been dependent upon yards after catch, and Seattle took those away from Denver. He threw 2 bad passes all game (out of 49), the Chancellor pick and the deep pass to Thomas. Otherwise, it was great play by the defense that caused the issues. The defense took away what they did, and they only way it could have been any better for Manning would have been for his receivers to actually make a play.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to say that this is the greatest defense ever, because the other legendary defenses have left their mark and was dominant for a much longer stretch. If the Seahawks can continue this for another 3-4 years then they are definitely in the conversation.

However, this is in my opinion...considering the circumstances (facing the highest scoring offense of all time)...is the most dominant performance in the superbowl by a defense and it isn't even close.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When ever you talk about the best, or the best ever, it's a topic that goes forever with no right answer. Seahawks defense this year was very special, everybody seems to know that, good enough for me.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not taking away from Seattle's great season at all, but Seattle averaged 13.3 points allowed in the post season; the Ravens allowed an average of 5.75. That's less than half. They allowed 165 to Seattle's 231 in the regular season. Even against the average the Ravens allowed significantly fewer points. The 2000 Ravens were just better than any other D in the history of the league.

That's not a slight on Seattle at all.

Remember though you can't hit as much as back then either… Imagine if Kam and company could unload like back in 2000 … When you consider the rules in place it makes Seattle's case pretty strong… Also in the playoffs we faced the Saints, You guy's… And then Denver…. I think that's a tougher schedule than what the Ravens faced that year…

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Remember though you can't hit as much as back then either… Imagine if Kam and company could unload like back in 2000 … When you consider the rules in place it makes Seattle's case pretty strong… Also in the playoffs we faced the Saints, You guy's… And then Denver…. I think that's a tougher schedule than what the Ravens faced that year…

That's why you have to take the points allowed against the average for that year to make a good comparison. It's the same thing people should be doing with QB stats.

And even against the average the Ravens circa 2000 beat any other unit ever assembled. The 2013 Seattle D was an amazing unit, but I don't know that it was up to the level of the 2000 Ravens. The 2002 Buccs have an argument as well, but I haven't looked as closely at them.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point the myth of the Bears D of 85 has become bigger than they were. Seattle did it under the strict rules of ginger head so I give them the nod. Had they been allowed to play like the defenses in 85 did, guys like Sam Bradford and Peyton Manning would be drinking their dinner out of straws right now.

No disrespect to the 85 Bears, but sometimes we're so attached to history it's hard to admit when someone a little bit better comes along.

How is the Bears D a myth, many argue that they are not only the greatest defense ever but the greatest team ever. Rules on to where to hit the QB doesn't change the fact that the Bears got to the QB. No doubt Settle secondary is better but the Bears front 7 is not to be mess with.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is the Bears D a myth, many argue that they are not only the greatest defense ever but the greatest team ever. Rules on to where to hit the QB doesn't change the fact that the Bears got to the QB. No doubt Settle secondary is better but the Bears front 7 is not to be mess with.

I'm sorry, no team with Jim McMahon as their starter can ever be considered the greatest....

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
85 Bears were better. 90's Eagles if Jerome Brown hadn't died might have been the best. 2000 Ravens were awesome. Seahawks are very good, but best ever, no

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bears D is no myth… They were dam good…

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
85 Bears were better. 90's Eagles if Jerome Brown hadn't died might have been the best. 2000 Ravens were awesome. Seahawks are very good, but best ever, no

If you look at what Seattle did there in the conversation… Especially with the new rules in place that's what makes it more impressive…

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why you have to take the points allowed against the average for that year to make a good comparison. It's the same thing people should be doing with QB stats.

And even against the average the Ravens circa 2000 beat any other unit ever assembled. The 2013 Seattle D was an amazing unit, but I don't know that it was up to the level of the 2000 Ravens. The 2002 Buccs have an argument as well, but I haven't looked as closely at them.

2002 Buccs were good also… That 2011 Niners team wasn't to shabby either..

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears D is no myth… They were dam good…

I watched the 85 Bears with "Fridge" yes they were good but i would take this D over them,back in the 80's and even early 90's the BIG thing was sacks and just destroying the QB,today they really discourage that and will throw flags if you hit them too hard too often,players are told to wrap QB's up and pull them down not smash em like they used to.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You also have to take into account strength of schedule against opponents and opponent's offensive rankings

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The term can be kicked around so much and comparing era's etc it is crazy,definitely a top 5 candidate imo but hey let's see what happens this season it is not like they are done or anything.