• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greatest defense of all time

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only did the Seahawks win there first Lombardi… BUT the talk about Seattle's defense being better than the 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears is kinda cool… I"m not gonna say our D is better than those teams, but it sure is nice hearing Seattle in that conversation… Were the first team since the 85 Bears to lead the league in points allowed, yards allowed and take away's … That's pretty cool fellas…

NFL Football Teams, Scores, Stats, News, Standings, Rumors - National Football League - ESPN

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure the 49ers would have scored on da Bears or the Ravens.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2000 Ravens. No disrespect to Trent Dilfer but I could have been QB for that team and won the SB.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman said recently they cracked Mannings hand signals so they were able to jump routes.

Guess they watch a lot of tape and that Stanford education pays off. Kudos to them for not just being big bodies, but smart dudes as well...able to adjust strategy and pick up on trends during the game. :suds:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't have thought THIS Seattle team could hold the jock strap of the 85 Bears, but # comparison wise I saw that the numbers actually sided slightly better on the Hawk side in my OP.

Go figure.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure the 49ers would have scored on da Bears or the Ravens.

Problem is in the modern NFL they probably would have… All the rules against the defense is what makes Seattle's stats even more impressive… Imagine if Kam and company could lay the wood like they could back in the day…

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still young and will improve,,,,think about that.:nod:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And imagine if the NFL contract rules of '85 still existed. Young, will improve, will get expensive...but who cares.

Now that the Seahawks are in the Lombardi club, you have to feel the sting of seeing your favorite players go to other teams because there just isn't enough cap room. Doesn't look to be an issue this offseason, but it will. Then teams will raid your coaching staff. But I doubt any fans care about that right now, you got what matters most.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point the myth of the Bears D of 85 has become bigger than they were. Seattle did it under the strict rules of ginger head so I give them the nod. Had they been allowed to play like the defenses in 85 did, guys like Sam Bradford and Peyton Manning would be drinking their dinner out of straws right now.

No disrespect to the 85 Bears, but sometimes we're so attached to history it's hard to admit when someone a little bit better comes along.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And imagine if the NFL contract rules of '85 still existed. Young, will improve, will get expensive...but who cares.

Now that the Seahawks are in the Lombardi club, you have to feel the sting of seeing your favorite players go to other teams because there just isn't enough cap room. Doesn't look to be an issue this offseason, but it will. Then teams will raid your coaching staff. But I doubt any fans care about that right now, you got what matters most.

Well see,i bet we retain most,i hate saying it but since talks have been rumored to be happening with ET it may be Sherman who we lose after next season.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah that does make it tough… I understand the philosophy behind it though because it creates balance throughout the league.. We have another year though of keeping things together… Right now I want like heck for us to keep Bennett but I know teams are gonna be coming after the guy…

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things that would be interesting to see. The average score of teams in 2000 and 1985 vs this year.

Its apples to oranges with the 3 teams decades apart. the nfl is very different now a days with the rules made to help offense.

If the broncos offense was the best ever. Seattle destroyed them..... That alone puts us in the convo.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also Carroll has no prob letting vet's go etc it is the play to compete philosophy that is why since Pete has been in Seattle we have seen over 800 players come through camp and a scouting department that has meetings with Pete and john weekly even during the season on potential draft picks.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman said recently they cracked Mannings hand signals so they were able to jump routes.

Guess they watch a lot of tape and that Stanford education pays off. Kudos to them for not just being big bodies, but smart dudes as well...able to adjust strategy and pick up on trends during the game. :suds:

It was actually the coaching staff that 'cracked' their code, but it wasn't as much knowing what plays they were running, but actually when 'omaha' and other codes for changing plays were real and when they were fake. The defense implemented their own code words and every time Manning did his, Wagner did ours. They said many of ours were fake too. It was that mix of knowing Denver's tendencies and utterly confusing them with our own version of 'omaha' that helped keep them off kilter all day.

As for how we rank all time, that is always a subject that is, well subjective.

I prefer to not compare us to any of the old defenses as football back then was so different that it's hard to compare and do it justice. The question then how does this one compare to modern era defenses such as the Ravens and TB in the early 2k's. While their fans will point out that they may have had a better points or yards stats on the year, neither can say they also lead in turnovers and we can point to stats where we are better as well.

This pass rush was sick and that is what killed Denver. They didn't need to blitz at all and still kept Manning off balance all day just rushing 4. Avril was an absolute BEAST in that game. He made their tackle look like a bumbling rookie. The hitting by the safeties in an era where big hits are supposed to be a thing of the past are unique.

That there are things all fans of those teams can use as a debate means none are clearly superior. We are going to feel this year, and that effort against the greatest offense in history tips it our way, and they will point out their reasons for them having it.

Needless to say this years Seattle defense was one of the greatest of the modern era and they put on a performance for the ages against Peyton and the Broncos. What number you want to slot them into isn't relevant as no two people will have the same view anyway. Let history just stand with how they did under the biggest spotlight in sports.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

The only thing that really matters to me is that from now until the new era of football and beyond people are going to have to talk about the Seahawks when ranking the greatest D ever. Maybe they are not number one but if they aren't in the discussion everyone is going to laugh at you. 20, 30 years from now this team will still be talked about and shown and that's something no one is going to be able to take away from us.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

The only thing that really matters to me is that from now until the new era of football and beyond people are going to have to talk about the Seahawks when ranking the greatest D ever. Maybe they are not number one but if they aren't in the discussion everyone is going to laugh at you. 20, 30 years from now this team will still be talked about and shown and that's something no one is going to be able to take away from us.

Doesn't matter to us they are number one,,,,:yahoo:

[YOUTUBE]50ecM-f-NpQ[/YOUTUBE]

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and Richard Sherman has only played upper level CB for 5 years. That is just astounding. Yes, he played in high school, but to play in college and the pros is a completely different animal.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
As far as points allowed against the average, the 2000 Ravens are the #1 defense of all time in that category.

And they allowed 3, 10, 3 & 7 points respectively in each postseason round. I would have to say nobody else has even come close to that.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as points allowed against the average, the 2000 Ravens are the #1 defense of all time in that category.

And they allowed 3, 10, 3 & 7 points respectively in each postseason round. I would have to say nobody else has even come close to that.

Willing to bet that the 4 teams 2000 ravens played weren't qb'd by future HOF qb's Brees and Manning....

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Willing to bet that the 4 teams 2000 ravens played weren't qb'd by future HOF qb's Brees and Manning....

Not taking away from Seattle's great season at all, but Seattle averaged 13.3 points allowed in the post season; the Ravens allowed an average of 5.75. That's less than half. They allowed 165 to Seattle's 231 in the regular season. Even against the average the Ravens allowed significantly fewer points. The 2000 Ravens were just better than any other D in the history of the league.

That's not a slight on Seattle at all.