• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grant Cohn on Smith's Strengths and Weaknesses

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex Smith’s top-five strengths and weaknesses - Inside the 49ers

Cohn kills me. Rode his father's coattails to a job that he does worse than any of us would. And he's such a homer.

Since his arm is somewhere between a B+ and an A-, he’s best when he rolls out of the pocket.

Smith's arm is B+/A-? That's a pretty generous curve. If we're comparing it to other NFL QBs, I'd say it's closer to the C+/B- range.

Though, having read the rest of this, I must say I tend to agree with most of the rest of what he says.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B-/B or B/B+ depending on whether it's what he does or what he could do consistently with some work. (Inconsistently, most QBs at times can do 'A') I don't think you can increase arm strength all that great, but mechanics can help the delivery of that arm strength.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd say his arm is a B. nothing spectacular but it can get the job done. in a lot of those weaknesses i think an extra year in the same system should cure them to some degree. to what degree will basically determine if smith is our long-term answer at qb.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
his arm strength is more than enough, thats not his biggest problem.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
his arm strength is more than enough, thats not his biggest problem.

That's true. His biggest problem is throwing the ball accurately when he has to throw it fast. However I think that's because he has to throw all his weight behind his fast balls because he doesn't have a very strong arm. So in a round about way arm strength is his biggest problem.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's true. His biggest problem is throwing the ball accurately when he has to throw it fast. However I think that's because he has to throw all his weight behind his fast balls because he doesn't have a very strong arm. So in a round about way arm strength is his biggest problem.

don't agree but have to admit.............the above made be grin. for some reason i found it amusing? :-)

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
move along..nothing to see here...just another piece of garbage written by Grant Cohn. What a joke

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't think he's referring to arm strength when he gives Smith's arm a B+/A- since he knocks his arm strength latter in his post.

Smith's arm is tough to get a good read on since he's so inconsistent. He has games like the Texan's one a couple years back and the end of the Saint's game where he looks unstoppable and can make any throw but other games he looks terrible out there.

I do believe the bigger problem than Smith's arm strength is Smith's collection of playmakers or lack thereof.

Yes I fully agree that Smith leaves too many big plays on the field that are completely on him but there were a lot of times he had a big play but the person he was throwing it too didn't make a play for him. It just seems like unless it was a perfect ball they weren't going to catch it and the art of the big play to me is one part QB and another part WR going up there and making a tough catch.

I'm a little hopeful with a full offseason and an upgrade in the weapons department Smith will look a lot better this upcoming season than he has ever. I mean he can hit VD just fine so I can't see why he can't do this with other guys also.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very accurate assessment of the weaknesses especially always throwing incompletions when he breaks the pocket to his right. Also not being able to find a second read.

I was surprised to hear that Harbaugh is talking in his ear until 15 seconds on the clock. That has to be confusing.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very accurate assessment of the weaknesses especially always throwing incompletions when he breaks the pocket to his right. Also not being able to find a second read.

I was surprised to hear that Harbaugh is talking in his ear until 15 seconds on the clock. That has to be confusing.

That kind of enforces the fact that he isn't fully confident in him. He is confident in him enough that he believes the team can win with him, and makes him the starting QB. But the fact that he is holding his hand (in a way) up until 15 seconds left on the play clock, and the play calling in the red zone make you wonder just how much he really believes in him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so what is, Deep???? what is his biggest problem?

not quite enough intangibles. he obviously has some now, just not quite enough to become 'elite'.

'intangibles' is a large category i know, so another description is not quite enough between his ears. Coaching can only do so much to help your intagibles.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That kind of enforces the fact that he isn't fully confident in him. He is confident in him enough that he believes the team can win with him, and makes him the starting QB. But the fact that he is holding his hand (in a way) up until 15 seconds left on the play clock, and the play calling in the red zone make you wonder just how much he really believes in him.

And it's another reason Kaep supporters think Kaep can step in and do the same. If Kaep has the QB guru in his ear every play, that ought to limit some of the rookie mistakes. Maybe it makes him more hesitant to throw the ball than an unassisted rookie (rookies are known for starting out as risky in our terms), whereas with Smith, he already had reason to be so hesitant and it helps him know where is safe (because I feel Smith may have thought almost everything was unsafe). Obviously, Smith has a ways to go to not be a too safe QB. This year, despite his risk adversity, I think he knew better when he could risk it. There were a few back-shoulder passes (more at the start than at the end). There were some more tight window passes when necessary (few and far between but more often).

I use the term "Kaep supporters" loosely, because as far as I've seen, the "Kaep supporters" more or less are just "Niner supporters". There, of course, are a lot of Niner supporters who feel it's best to go with Smith now until Kaep outshines or Smith stagnates/regresses in performance and/or wins. When we finally have a winning season and Smith finally does something positive, after years of bashing Smith, there are naturally Smith-first supporters out there. I support Smith but am a Niner fan first. I'll support Smith concurrently because I have no say over what happens. I'll support whoever is QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
not quite enough intangibles. he obviously has some now, just not quite enough to become 'elite'.

'intangibles' is a large category i know, so another description is not quite enough between his ears. Coaching can only do so much to help your intagibles.

Can you be a little more specific? What intangibles are lacking?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you be a little more specific? What intangibles are lacking?

The "win despite two turnovers near our red zone" intangibles. I kid, I kid. Please don't turn this into that thread.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree its more or less a fair assessment of Smith's abilities....but Cohn's remarks are a bit confusing. How can Smith become an elite QB if he lacks field vision and improvisation...two of the key abilities of any QB? Its kind of silly that everyone gets stuck on "elite" or not in the first place, but obviously anyone lacking some of the fundamental abilities will not reach that top level, no matter how many 4th quarter comebacks they engineer.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The "win despite two turnovers near our red zone" intangibles. I kid, I kid. Please don't turn this into that thread.

Haha. Fair enough. I don't disagree with Deep's assessment, but it's a pretty broad one. It would be like saying Smith's biggest weakness was physical. I'm just curious specifically what he thinks Smith's biggest weaknesses are.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Haha. Fair enough. I don't disagree with Deep's assessment, but it's a pretty broad one. It would be like saying Smith's biggest weakness was physical. I'm just curious specifically what he thinks Smith's biggest weaknesses are.

ok thats the main thing, you don't disagree.

yeah, i know "intangible" is broad, broader than measurables.

to answer the question...............the article touched on those intangibles under "weaknesses". to me all five of those weaknesses are based off of intangibles. again, he has intangibles, just not enough of it to become an 'elite' QB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree its more or less a fair assessment of Smith's abilities....but Cohn's remarks are a bit confusing. How can Smith become an elite QB if he lacks field vision and improvisation...two of the key abilities of any QB? Its kind of silly that everyone gets stuck on "elite" or not in the first place, but obviously anyone lacking some of the fundamental abilities will not reach that top level, no matter how many 4th quarter comebacks they engineer.

agree, he doesn't have enough of it so will never become an elite QB. he can improve a LITTLE due to familiarity, comfort level, and better teammates, but he won't become that 'franchise' QB.

btw - not hating on Alex at all, just opinionating on previous seasons. cause despite my opinion, feel he's the lesser of the evils right now.